Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:06:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ha ha ha... Glastonbury

Started by kalowski, May 29, 2019, 05:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Can you imagine forking out, what, £300 for this?

QuoteAmong the names joining the bill are UK chart-topper Lewis Capaldi, UK rappers Dave and Octavian and Scottish cult heroes the Proclaimers.

Stormzy, the Killers and the Cure will headline this year's festival, which takes place from 26-30 June. Headlining the Other stage are Tame Impala, Chemical Brothers and Christine and the Queens, while Jon Hopkins, Wu-Tang Clan and Janelle Monáe helm the West Holts stage. Atop the John Peel stage are Interpol and the Streets with one more act tbc, while Cat Power, Hot Chip and Rex Orange County lead on the Park stage.

Pauline Walnuts

Interpol and the Streets.

2002 wants its hot new acts back.

imitationleather

It's a very weak line-up but it will still be an ace time for those going. Won't be watching the TV coverage though.

Funcrusher

I haven't given a fuck about Glastonbury for a very long time. Last time I went was early 90s and would never consider it now, even if I had a free ticket. The whole idea that you pay and then afterwards they tell you who's on, absolutely fuck that.

Sin Agog

It's always about the West Holts stage.  Just landed a free ticket this morning  (family crusty connections in the green field).

sevendaughters

I combed the line-up and found about 15 acts1 I'd want to see. Combined with the other stuff that is going on that sounds like a good way to spend time, really!

1 Stormzy / The Proclaimers / The Cure / Mavis Staples / The Chemical Brothers / Acid Mothers Temple / Wu-Tang Clan    / Lizzo / Kamasi Washington / Roy Ayers / Fatoumata Diawara / Low  / The Streets/ Cat Power / Hot Chip / Sons of Kemet   

up_the_hampipe

I like a lot of artists on that line-up. Don't see the problem really, apart from the fact that festivals are awful and attended exclusively by hippy bastards!

Sebastian Cobb

Jon Hopkins, Wu-Tang Clan and Janelle Monáe are alright.

Although Hopkins was playing about 15 minutes walk from my flat last weekend at a festival and I could've gone to that and not got covered in shit.

Then again, I can't imagine Hopkins being that interesting live. Bit like Ulrich Schnauss in that it's great music but just a man noodling away.

BlodwynPig

"Anyone know what time Lewis Capaldi is on?"

BlodwynPig

"Yeh Stormzy is killing it on the Pyramid"

kalowski

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 29, 2019, 05:54:55 PM
I like a lot of artists on that line-up. Don't see the problem really, apart from the fact that festivals are awful and attended exclusively by hippy bastards!
Some of those artists are good in that way where you desperately try to find something to praise Hot Chip for because you've spent £300 for a festival with Lewis Capaldi.

Of course, I can talk, I'm looking forward to the new Springsteen tour.

Lordofthefiles

<Thread titles you can sing to the Wizbit theme tune>

Sin Agog

Glastonbury's a bit like Red Redemption 2.  You can play the main storyline if you want, but wandering around mixing it up, and stumbling across the occasional inviting campfire, is invariably much more rewarding.  Although in my case I have to arrive a week in advance, so it's more a case of me using up every ounce of gregariousness I have in me on the first three days, then spending the rest of the festival barely able to string a sentence together.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on May 29, 2019, 07:19:28 PM
<Thread titles you can sing to the Wizbit theme tune>

I was thinking "ha ha... Glastonbury, lover of the Russian queen", but that leaves a superfluous 'ha'.

Phil_A

The most miserable Glasto line-up I can recall was probably 2002, with Coldplay, Stereophonics, Roger Waters' fronting a Pink Floyd covers band and Rod fucking Stewart.

This years is fantastic by comparison, dunno what people are moaning about.

Funcrusher

Who the fuck is Lewis Capaldi? Is he the guy who was in Doctor Who?

Cuellar

Was about to say 'actually looks good to me' cos of some half remembered names but having looked again it looks guff, mainly.

Chollis

sevendaughters

Quote from: Funcrusher on May 29, 2019, 07:58:00 PM

he's very relatable

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

The Cure, Babymetal, Wu Tang, Low, Sons of Kemet, Denzel Curry, Gojira, Employed to Serve, Venom Prison ...plus some other stuff.

I probably wouldn't pay for it, but I'm happy to work it and enjoy the rest of it. If you look back at the last line ups it's always been a little grey. Just a reflection on the standard of current 'big' bands/artists.

kalowski

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on May 29, 2019, 09:04:50 PM
The Cure, Babymetal, Wu Tang, Low, Sons of Kemet, Denzel Curry, Gojira, Employed to Serve, Venom Prison ...plus some other stuff.

I probably wouldn't pay for it, but I'm happy to work it and enjoy the rest of it. If you look back at the last line ups it's always been a little grey. Just a reflection on the standard of current 'big' bands/artists.
But that's the point. Who would pay for it?
I don't really ever remember the time it was truly counter cultural, but it must be full of public school children nowadays.

Nowhere Man

Quote from: Chollis on May 29, 2019, 08:05:09 PM
George Ezra's dad

Don't you dare make fun of George Ezra, he's more popular than Paul McCartney was in 1965.

SteveDave

I've seen lots of videos of Lewis Capaldi on the Twitter and he seems like a fun fellow. Then I heard his music.

Ooooooh-weeeeee!

Icehaven

I haven't been to Glastonbury in nearly 20 years but I reckon I'd still have an absolutely brilliant time, I just wouldn't watch much music. When I went a few times in the late 90s-2000 loads of bands I liked were always there so that was all I did, which was great, but I didn't really see much of any of the other stuff (apart from spending a few spare hours in the comedy tent.) I'd do the opposite now, there's no particular music acts I'd go for but I'd happily spend a few days in varying degrees of pissedness doing all the other stuff. Although not for £250 though cheers.   

ajsmith2

Quote from: Funcrusher on May 29, 2019, 07:58:00 PM

Peter Capaldi is apparently his second cousin twice removed (despite the near 40 year age difference), and seems to have done the younger Capaldi a family favour by starring in the video for this fucking terrible song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCuhuePlP8o

Head Gardener

all the music on offer when I first went in 1981

kalowski

I wouldn't have said John Cooper Clarke was from Liverpool.

Head Gardener

Quote from: kalowski on May 30, 2019, 01:13:48 PM
I wouldn't have said John Cooper Clarke was from Liverpool.

he was when no-one knew any better

Head Gardener

'82 was an odd year, they didn't even know who was going to be playing until the night!*

*it turned out to be Osibisa - U2 were booked to play but thankfully never turned up

Head Gardener

same mystery headliner in '84 but I think it turned out to be Elvis*

*Costello