Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:32:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ha ha ha... Glastonbury

Started by kalowski, May 29, 2019, 05:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Z

Assuming it will be televised I'm looking forward to The Chemical Brothers performance.

buzby

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 30, 2019, 01:07:30 PM
all the music on offer when I first went in 1981

Ah, the infamous 'Bernard off his face, lying on his back' performance of Procession.
Quote from: Head Gardener on May 30, 2019, 01:16:31 PM
he was when no-one knew any better
It was all 'the north' I expect, though considering he was known as  'The Bard of Salford' there's not really any excuse.

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on May 29, 2019, 09:04:50 PM
Gojira

You made me scour the line-up to see if this was correct you bugger.

Endicott

The ticket was only 25 quid though. Possibly less, my memory is bad. Really enjoyed the Harper fans booing Baker off stage, even though I knew nothing about any of them. Then New Order and Hawkwind on Sat, bloody excellent, them fuck off home coz maths O level on the Monday.

boki

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on May 30, 2019, 01:38:29 PM

You made me scour the line-up to see if this was correct you bugger.
Aren't they playing the Earache stage?  Pretty sure it's legit.

Quote from: kalowski on May 29, 2019, 05:06:39 PM
Can you imagine forking out, what, £300 for this?
Pretty much everyone I know who goes is more concerned with titting around in the Shangri-La area than what's on the big stages.  As would I be, if I didn't feel like the whole shebang was a big anxiety attack waiting to happen.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 30, 2019, 01:23:49 PM

My phone's shitty screen just caused me to think "Honk Wongford?" for a second.

Head Gardener

Quote from: buzby on May 30, 2019, 01:32:10 PM
Ah, the infamous 'Bernard off his face, lying on his back' performance of Procession.It was all 'the north' I expect, though considering he was known as  'The Bard of Salford' there's not really any excuse.

wow I remember that but have not seen it since the night itself! he was really pissed as I recall (but hey, weren't we all?) I remember the Hawkwind fans
getting rowdy with shouting and stuff being thrown at the stage too as they impatiently waited for their heroes and yes the fight between Harper & Baker was memorable too

Icehaven

If New Order are formally Joy Division are they informally New Order, as Joy Division is what they were formerly called?

gilbertharding

Quote from: icehaven on May 30, 2019, 03:32:11 PM
If New Order are formally Joy Division are they informally New Order, as Joy Division is what they were formerly called?

That reminds me of Prince - briefly The Artist Formerly Known as Prince, then lately the artist formally known as Prince.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 29, 2019, 06:15:28 PM
Although Hopkins was playing about 15 minutes walk from my flat last weekend at a festival and I could've gone to that and not got covered in shit.

Then again, I can't imagine Hopkins being that interesting live. Bit like Ulrich Schnauss in that it's great music but just a man noodling away.

I saw him at that festival last Friday and, just for the record, he was excellent. The set and sound were great, and the visual backdrop was much more interesting and varied than in that Pitchfork show. And he had two dancers with big light wands for parts of the show so he's injecting a bit of stagecraft now too.

purlieu

I love the fact that Autechre play in the pitch black, to take away the whole "oh they look boring" thing. Mate, you're going to a gig. Y'know, music. Want to watch something, go to see a film or whatever.

grassbath

Usually at a gig by an electronic artist, or something instrumental and hypnotic, I tend to shut my eyes anyway. Probably look like a wanker - don't care. More immersive. It's not about what you can see.

purlieu

Quote from: grassbath on May 30, 2019, 04:47:38 PM
Usually at a gig by an electronic artist, or something instrumental and hypnotic, I tend to shut my eyes anyway. Probably look like a wanker - don't care. More immersive. It's not about what you can see.
[tag]purlieu mentions FSOL[/tag]

FSOL did their gigs via ISDN cables to radio so people could listen at home, which they felt was a much more suitable place for that kind of immersive music, without distractions like watching people on stage. I did a laptop gig once, and when the promoter put some videos online there were people on a forum complaining about 'why would you go and see an artist checking their emails on stage'. I always felt the kind of person who was that anal about being able to identify exactly what the musician was doing was really missing the point of actually listening to music in the first place.

BlodwynPig

Were jazz slutts any good?

Did they become the Hippy Slags? (Bridget Wishart's band)

Pretty sure you could have £300 worth of fun just hanging out at the circus tent.

Quote from: boki on May 30, 2019, 02:15:54 PM
Aren't they playing the Earache stage?  Pretty sure it's legit.

Well sodomise me with a surgical sharp, you're right. I hadn't realised that Glastonbury had started having a metal stage.

buzby

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on May 30, 2019, 04:57:36 PM
Amazing bit of footage that, Gillians stern look.
Aye. an early taste of what she was going to have to put up with for the next 20-odd years. I can't help but think part of it was seeing Stephen's song (which she helped to write) fucked up on their first big festival gig.

Seeing it played live always makes be a bit sad. as it shows the hierarchy at work in the band - she sang backing vocals in the studio recording, encouraged by Martin Hannett. When it came to live performances, nobody was going to be singing backing vocals except Hooky.

boki

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on May 30, 2019, 06:21:11 PM
Well sodomise me with a surgical sharp, you're right. I hadn't realised that Glastonbury had started having a metal stage.
Mate.

Head Gardener

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

What's the state of the ground like?

Head Gardener

thugler

It's not 300 quid, 230 i think. Expensive, but there's a lot more going on. I'm going, and there's at least 4 or 5 things on to see each day, which is plenty. It's always a lot more fun than most other festivals to wonder around, and the main stage is always shit, but there are 100+ stages or something. People love to moan about it, but it's still good and does a good job of having pop music for kids and left field things here and there. Kylie minogue and gojira at the same festival is pretty cool to me.

Dr Sanchez

Glastonbury has been shit for a while now. I'm sure it's a hoot being there but watching it on TV has become a slog because modern music is garbage and the presenters are smug cunts who waffle on about the magic of Glastonbury when in reality it's just another festival but with wellies and posh students in tents.

ArtParrott

It's one of my TV highlights of the year, in spite of and because of the terrible headline/main stage acts, the awkward presenting from Radcliffe and Wiley and the gibberish correspondence pieces from Gemma Cairney and such like.

Really though, it's just nice having live music on TV for three solid days. I love it.

poodlefaker

pfff, Georgie Trevelyan was well past it by '81, man...it's his mid-70s stuff you need to hear.

a duncandisorderly

I would've gone to that one. I like the "formerly joy division"

Quote from: kalowski on May 30, 2019, 01:13:48 PM
I wouldn't have said John Cooper Clarke was from Liverpool.

no. salford. & it's "giltrap".

Sin Agog

Yeah, I like that lineup.  Kind of a folkie, post-punk, whistletest-core mash-up. 

Arabella Churchill, who was probably more crucial to starting Glastonbury than Eavis himself, was a friend of the family.  Neat counter-culture scenes seem to require moneyed Bohemian battleaxes like her at the heart of them to get off the ground.  She always insisted that Glastonbury let in a chunk of the homeless community gratis to spice things up, which they swiftly discontinued the moment she died.  Now Glastonbury contains some of the squarest motherfunkers I've ever seen, the type who genuinely shake with excitement at Snow Patrol, rubbernecking at us human oddities whenever they're not diligently keeping to their schedules (and I can't help but do the same to them). Perfectly decent people, no doubt, but a whole different genus of man to whoever would have gone to that '81 fest.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Sin Agog on June 19, 2019, 06:27:19 PM
Yeah, I like that lineup.  Kind of a folkie, post-punk, whistletest-core mash-up. 

Arabella Churchill, who was probably more crucial to starting Glastonbury than Eavis himself, was a friend of the family.  Neat counter-culture scenes seem to require moneyed Bohemian battleaxes like her at the heart of them to get off the ground.  She always insisted that Glastonbury let in a chunk of the homeless community gratis to spice things up, which they swiftly discontinued the moment she died.  Now Glastonbury contains some of the squarest motherfunkers I've ever seen, the type who genuinely shake with excitement at Snow Patrol, rubbernecking at us human oddities whenever they're not diligently keeping to their schedules (and I can't help but do the same to them). Perfectly decent people, no doubt, but a whole different genus of man to whoever would have gone to that '81 fest.

people go to glastonbury now who've never set foot in a pub gig. it's basically been SFC for about twenty years. I won't even watch it on the box unless someone texts or sticks summat on FB about an act of such unspeakable crassness that it becomes compelling. kanye, doing 'bohemian rhapsody', springs to mind, or whatever the fuck it was U2 murdered that year.