Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:00:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ha ha ha... Glastonbury

Started by kalowski, May 29, 2019, 05:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Quote from: Jockice on July 01, 2019, 10:18:07 AM
Janelle Monae was shit. But only compared to her performance in 2011, which I discovered by chance when I pressed the red button instead of being bored by Coldplay.  I'd never heard of her before but lay there (I was in bed) absolutely entranced. I even gave a round of applause at the end, much to the bewilderment of the cat. So she wasn't as good as that last night

The only thing about her performance last night, it was a bit more self-centered than previously. I know what you mean about 2011 - I chanced across it halfway through the definitive live version of Tightrope.

Shaky

Quote from: Dr Sanchez on July 01, 2019, 02:14:24 AM
I saw them headline a festival in Ireland in 2004 and they almost induced a mass coma. No interaction, no signs of enjoyment. After twenty minutes at least half the audience left.

Was that Oxegen or whatever it was called? That set made me fall in love with them! I know a lot of people (at least 3 of us) where rooted to the spot in awe. Even the dodgier, nu-metal-esque tracks from their then recent album sounded great.

They do seem a bit dull whenever I see any live Youtube footage, mind...

studpuppet

My takeaways from this year:

1. Lizzo's ace. Loved the performance in all sorts of ways and I can see why people adore her. Listened to the album straight after and she's an amazing singer on top of the attitude and lyrics. She's also a Paula Pottymouth, which means I can't play my daughters the line, "The only exes I care about are in my fuckin' chromosomes."
2. I liked Goat Girl - I haven't seen winsome females playing in bands and doing that seductive swaying guitar-playing thing since the early nineties. Will listen to them to see if their recorded output is any good.
3. I missed Janelle Monae, but it seems I shouldn't have - will put that right tonight and berate you all if my time was wasted.
4. The Killers are just underwhelming. I mean, they try really hard and he's a natural front man, but the music's just cardboard. Amazing that they've headlined more than once, sold ridiculous numbers of albums and yet I can still only remember one song of theirs (and not in a overly positive way).
5. I liked Chris(tine) before this. Not that I'll buy her albums but I always enjoy catching her performing on TV shows. She's also a Paula Pottymouth, but because she has a French accent she gets away with 'Girlfriend' being played on the radio.

greencalx

Gallup has gone a bit Nigel Tufnel on us in Shake Dog Shake.

garbed_attic

Quote from: studpuppet on July 01, 2019, 12:22:45 PM
4. The Killers are just underwhelming. I mean, they try really hard and he's a natural front man, but the music's just cardboard. Amazing that they've headlined more than once, sold ridiculous numbers of albums and yet I can still only remember one song of theirs (and not in a overly positive way).

The Herzog documentary about them (or, at least, its last 5 minutes) almost justifies their existence though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-CwCqdrc6E

BlodwynPig

Quote from: gout_pony on July 01, 2019, 01:36:19 PM
The Herzog documentary about them (or, at least, its last 5 minutes) almost justifies their existence though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-CwCqdrc6E

take it to the Am I in a dream thread

SteveDave

I enjoyed the clip of the little boy rapping with "Dave"

He must get in contact with Dave from Chas N Dave and then they can do Dave and Dave with a remake of "Rabbit" but with the word "Rapping" instead.

Dr Sanchez

I just watched some of Miley Cyrus.

If I wanted to watch a redneck skank gyrating around pretending to have sex with various objects and shouting "fuck" and "y'all" every few minutes I'd go to a strip club in Texas.

Adding that utter wank vacuum Ronson into the mix catapulted it even further into the shitsphere.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Well as usual I had a fucking great time and am now totally knackered and tired.

Highlights: Employed to Serve were brutal, Denzel Curry was some good shouty hyped up fun, Gojira were sick, Wu Tang were enjoyably shit, Friendly Fires were surprisingly enjoyable, meeting some funny random people and getting up to mischief. The weather.

Lowlights: so many coked up cunts (as always), so many people, the weather (working in the afternoons was brutal).

Overall, it's fucking great and fucking horrible and all a massive waste of time.

hedgehog90

Quote from: The Lion King on June 30, 2019, 07:23:12 PM
I'm really enjoying Billie Eilish, has a frail yet powerful sound to her voice, reminds me a bit of Beth Gibbons. Never listened to any of her music but really good performance so far.

I caught a bit of her set at the Radio 1 festival a few weeks ago (on the telly) and was like 'woah, she's actually got the goods', but I was bowled over by her glastonbury performance.
There's something about her, she's got a bit of magic about her that I honestly don't remember seeing in any modern-day (sort of) mainstream pop star. It gives me hope for the future.
She has such a solid stage presence and commands the crowd like a seasoned pro, it's terrifying to think she's only 17.

sevendaughters

watching The Cure headline made me think next year they should close next year's Sunday with Erasure. Sold about as many albums, huge catalogue of great singles, showmen to a fault, don't tell me it wouldn't be an absolute barnstormer.

Captain Z

As long as they don't miss out their classics 'Sadeness' and 'Sweet Dreams'.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Dr Sanchez on July 01, 2019, 04:26:58 PM

If I wanted to watch a redneck skank gyrating around pretending to have sex with various objects and shouting "fuck" and "y'all" every few minutes I'd go to a strip club in Texas.

Adding that utter wank vacuum Ronson into the mix catapulted it even further into the shitsphere.

yikes

DrGreggles

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 01, 2019, 05:48:05 PM
watching The Cure headline made me think next year they should close next year's Sunday with Erasure. Sold about as many albums, huge catalogue of great singles, showmen to a fault, don't tell me it wouldn't be an absolute barnstormer.

I'd have no issue with that, but Andy Bell's voice isn't what it once was.
He struggles with some of the early stuff these days.

sevendaughters

Low's set is on iPlayer and is 10/10 stuff.

wosl

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 01, 2019, 07:19:48 PMI'd have no issue with that, but Andy Bell's voice isn't what it once was. He struggles with some of the early stuff these days.

In contrast, it's worth saying (again) how much Robert Smith's voice is still what it was. I haven't kept up with the recorded output of the Cure for donkey's, but to judge from what I saw of their set, his voice is remarkably intact for a chubby, sixty-year-old goth.

popcorn

What the fuck is up with Kylie's vocal mix?

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Dr Sanchez on July 01, 2019, 04:26:58 PM

You seem nice.

Captain Z

Quote from: popcorn on July 01, 2019, 09:02:12 PM
What the fuck is up with Kylie's vocal mix?

Yes Kylie's was really bad, I'm not sure exactly what the problems were as she was crystal clear talking into the mic but very quiet singing. Made me wonder if she was miming for a while but I don't think that was the case. And also yes, I'm not really a Cure fan but flicked it on and was immediately stunned by just how ageless and perfect Robert Smith's voice still sounded.

Dr Rock

She was sometimes miming, but I enjoyed the set.

buzby

Quote from: Captain Z on July 01, 2019, 09:10:34 PM
Yes Kylie's was really bad, I'm not sure exactly what the problems were as she was crystal clear talking into the mic but very quiet singing. Made me wonder if she was miming for a while but I don't think that was the case.
She was definitely miming while she was dancing - you could only hear the backing singers. The level of her mic when she was talking or doing a solo bit compared to the rest of the songs was a dead giveaway (same with Janet Jackson, with even less singing). She has also got a serious case of HGH-induced pointy chin going on.

alan nagsworth

Yeah, I clocked a bit where she was singing and in between a line she said something to address the crowd and her voice was suddenly WAY louder. I wouldn't have minded so much but there was fuck all else happening onstage to make it redeemably entertaining.

Pauline Walnuts

Well, that was the randomer dressed up as Klaus Nomi for no reason.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 01, 2019, 08:22:57 PM
Low's set is on iPlayer and is 10/10 stuff.

Christ. Bring back Greasy Truckers

Phil_A

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 01, 2019, 10:35:35 PM
Christ. Bring back Greasy Truckers

If you're gonna shit talk Low mate you can fucking do one. I won't have it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Phil_A on July 02, 2019, 08:31:36 AM
If you're gonna shit talk Low mate you can fucking do one. I won't have it.

Where did I do that? I resent the implication.

poodlefaker

Roy Ayers ambles onto the stage and opens with a ten minute version of Red, Black and Green, complete with two vibes solos, a  keyboard solo, a keytar solo and a bass solo. Jazz exploration in front of a festival crowd.

phantom_power

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 30, 2019, 11:06:20 PM
There is good fresh pop and bland cookie cutter pop

Do you have to drink plenty of water to go around pissing on everyone's bonfires all the time?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: phantom_power on July 02, 2019, 10:35:52 AM
Do you have to drink plenty of water to go around pissing on everyone's bonfires all the time?

Grow a spine