Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:37:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Started by Head Gardener, May 29, 2019, 05:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliggg

Quote from: kidsick5000 on May 30, 2019, 03:35:38 PM
yes and no.
I feel it thinks the first film was way more memorable that it is.
So there are references to things that are given enough focus to wink at.
And there are plenty of monsters yet to be seen.
Possibly we'll see more in Kong v Godzilla – which will have to broach the difficult topic: Who do you root for?
Kong because I liked that movie. I did not like either of the Godzilla movies. Though as has been said it will be just like Batman v Superman. They will be enemies, have one big fight in which neither dies then team up to fight a common enemy. Then the franchise will just keep going and going until they stop making so much money. If there isn't a scene where someone mentions that Kong's mother and Godzilla's mother have the same name then I will be disappointed.

cliggg

It really feels more like the director/producers/studio are trolling instead of wanting to make a good movie. Way way way too much emphasis on the human characters in these movies, the bit when SPOILER Godzilla & Ghidorah run/fly at each other for the final big battle only for the plane full of stock human characters to literally fly right in front of the camera blocking the fight SPOILER was just laughable and I can't believe it wasn't intentionally intended to be. How would anyone think that was a good idea I'll never know. Unfortunately that kind of thing happened way too much in this movie, also it was difficult at times to even know who was fighting who possibly due in part to this new thing of giving "indie" directors these big franchises, sometimes it has worked (Planet of the Apes) but mostly it hasn't from what I've seen. And Hollywood being Hollywood means they are clearly setting this up to go longer than Kong v Godzilla which means more shit like this. Seriously, just lose 30 minutes from the runtime and just show us some monsters fighting or change the name of the movie to "Stock humans with monsters in the background".

Also Godzilla just looks like a curmudgeonly old man.

kidsick5000

Oh come on.
The real title for this is
How I Met Your Mothra!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: cliggg on May 31, 2019, 08:37:27 AM
If there isn't a scene where someone mentions that Kong's mother and Godzilla's mother have the same name then I will be disappointed.
"Save... Mothra."
"WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME?!"

Yes, it's basically the same joke as the one above.

Glebe

I was thinking of going to see this, but the reviews have really put me off. That is all.

greenman

Quote from: kidsick5000 on May 31, 2019, 08:43:19 AM
Oh come on.
The real title for this is
How I Met Your Mothra!

A Rodan for All Seasons

idunnosomename

I always wanted the Tristar Godzilla to end up with increasingly silly sequels with Jimmy-Hill-chin MechaGodzilla and all that but oh well

kidsick5000

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 31, 2019, 10:33:22 AM
"Save... Mothra."
"WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME?!"

Yes, it's basically the same joke as the one above.

Works for me

Mister Six

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 29, 2019, 05:56:50 PM

#We're a couple of swells
We stop at the best hotels
But we prefer the country far away from the city smells
We're a couple of sports
The pride of the tennis courts
In June, July and August we look cute when we're dressed in shorts#

Glebe

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 29, 2019, 05:56:50 PM

"How's her indoors?"

"Look mate, we're going for a pint, I want to forget about the old ball and chain for awhile!"

Spiteface

Quote from: Glebe on May 31, 2019, 10:47:49 AM
I was thinking of going to see this, but the reviews have really put me off. That is all.

The reviews are all by people who don't fucking get Godzilla.

Go. See it.

Quote from: cliggg on May 31, 2019, 08:37:27 AM
Kong because I liked that movie. I did not like either of the Godzilla movies. Though as has been said it will be just like Batman v Superman. They will be enemies, have one big fight in which neither dies then team up to fight a common enemy. Then the franchise will just keep going and going until they stop making so much money.

Technically, as far as anyone knows, vs King Kong is the end. After that Toho's taking Godzilla back and restarting stuff themselves. Yet another reboot. A shame as I want a Shin Godzilla sequel - that film did a really good job of making Godzilla fucking terrifying again, both in looks and what he does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhCFiHMSyAw

He's an existential threat, as opposed to the giant cuddly superhero he kinda becomes at points.

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 31, 2019, 01:20:24 PM
I always wanted the Tristar Godzilla to end up with increasingly silly sequels with Jimmy-Hill-chin MechaGodzilla and all that but oh well

The cartoon is pretty much a sequel to the movie, "Zilla Jr" being the egg that hatches at the end of the '98 Tristar film. At one point someone uses the corpse of Zilla do make "Cyber Godzilla"

Then Toho pretty much use that idea for 2002's Godzilla against MechaGodzilla and it's followup Tokyo SOS -  MechaGodzilla or "Kiryu" as he's referred to in these, is a robot built around the skeleton of the original 1954 Godzilla.   
Anyway, when's the Gamera reboot happening?

Glebe

So I finally caved in and went to see this... yeah, it's not great, too many characters all waffling on and faffing about (although that's a pretty decent cast list, to be fair), but there's some decent monster gubbins and it's nice to see the likes of Ghidorah and Mothra involved (although the wooly mammoth yoke was a bit weird). So no, not very good, but Empire giving it one star out of five while Dark Phoenix gets a three is a bit rich (and yes, twas I that actually started the Dark Phoenix thread, but then there wasn't one already and it'd be a bit dull if we only kicked off threads about good films and that). Oh, and 'Wave of Mutilation' near the beginning, always good to hear the Pixies pop up in a movie.

They'll never top this fantastic Godzilla scene (not just my favourite moment in a Godzilla movie but in anything really):

Come on, get Jet Jaguar in the next one!