Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:59:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Death Stranding, new Hideo Kojima joint

Started by Mister Six, May 29, 2019, 09:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Gameplay trailer now out for Kojima's new surreal survival thing, starring Hannibal Lecter from The Hannibal Lecter Show, Redneck Man from The Walking Deads and Guillermo del Toro from The Oscars: https://youtu.be/Z6TD0BIURg0

Absolutely adored MGSV, never finished any other MGS game. This looks very slow and boring with some abstract imagery that says nothing to me. The MGSV trailer and gameplay footage made my jaw drop. I can only hope that it's more gameplay focused and less wanking off his celebrity pals but I'm not hopeful. I also find the cult of Kojima stuff really embarrassing.

Thursday

Kelvin

Have the graphics taken a hit since this was last shown? The textures look a bit flat for a AAA Playstation title.

biggytitbo

Still none the wiser what it's about or what's going on even after 8 minutes of gameplay.

Bazooka

Quote from: The Boston Crab on May 29, 2019, 10:04:42 PM
Absolutely adored MGSV, never finished any other MGS game. This looks very slow and boring with some abstract imagery that says nothing to me. The MGSV trailer and gameplay footage made my jaw drop. I can only hope that it's more gameplay focused and less wanking off his celebrity pals but I'm not hopeful. I also find the cult of Kojima stuff really embarrassing.

MGSV is the slowest of all the MG games outside of MG Acid and Mg Portable ops. I think it looks interesting, I still wish the investment had gone into Silent Hills. There are few unique visionaries like Kojima with a cinematic vision in gaming, MGS3 for example had brilliant boss battles, it was like the Running Man but with slow walking and crawling.

Mobius

Does not look like a videogame

I never played Metal Gear Solid because my brother told me some of the cutscenes are literally 2 hours long.

Bazooka

Quote from: Mobius on May 30, 2019, 01:19:10 AM
Does not look like a videogame

I never played Metal Gear Solid because my brother told me some of the cutscenes are literally 2 hours long.

Your Brother needs to get a handle on himself, you can skip the cut scenes, that's why you have to be a sociopath to speed run Zelda OOT and FF7/8.

Mister Six

But the options shouldn't be "watch a two-hour cutscene" or "miss out on the story". Kojima needs to get a handle on himself. I'm looking forward to this but (and because) I didn't bother completing MGS 3 or play any of the others due to the absurdly long cutscenes.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mobius on May 30, 2019, 01:19:10 AM

Quite literally true in the case of Metal Gear Solid 4 (the ending cutscene is feature length and the other cutscenes aren't much shorter).  That's the point where I gave up on the series.  If I wanted to watch an incomprehensible and badly written movie, I'd watch Battlefield Earth.  The earlier games worked because they knew how to juggle the narrative with gameplay and keep a nice even balance on things.

Quote from: Mister Six on May 30, 2019, 01:50:14 AM
But the options shouldn't be "watch a two-hour cutscene" or "miss out on the story". Kojima needs to get a handle on himself.

Yep.  Especially when so much of the experience is narrative based.

That's why MGSV was so great. It was mechanics mechanics mechanics adaptation and emergent brilliance. If you wanted to engage with the story (which I did), you had to listen to the cassettes and read logs to put the short cut scenes in context.

Also it had Quiet's big tits covered in blood if you saved up for that costume.

brat-sampson

I'll almost certainly preorder this game.

Love a bit of Kojima and MGSV burned me hard thanks to it's rushed completion and overall incompleteness, despite pretty much everything ther being stellar, especially from a gameplay perspective.

Sony giving him all the money/time he wants (at least, that's the impression I get)? Now that I can get behind.

Shaky

He's not aimed at me but the popularity of Norman Reedus absolutely baffles me. He looks like a homeless, meth addicted serial killer. That's fine if you are one, but the guy must be pretty rich at this point.

Zetetic

Quote from: Mister Six on May 30, 2019, 01:50:14 AM
Kojima needs to get a handle on himself.
I suspect Kojima frequently has a handle on himself, particularly when writing these things, and that if anything they'd be improved by giving it a rest for a bit.

Urinal Cake

Looks like the plot of the Costner film The Postman, the enemies taken from the Parasite Unit from MGSV, some puzzle-terrain solving from Zelda and some wank about needing to connect with people.

B+ hype.

Hey, Punk!

Not a fan of CGI characters who look exactly like the actors, very uninspired.

popcorn

I know someone who used to work for Kojima and according to her he made employees who displeased him sit in the corner facing the wall.

hedgehog90

Quote from: brat-sampson on May 30, 2019, 07:19:08 AM
Love a bit of Kojima and MGSV burned me hard thanks to it's rushed completion and overall incompleteness, despite pretty much everything ther being stellar, especially from a gameplay perspective.

Everyone says this, but the gameplay, graphics and performance were among the most polished I've experienced in a game. Granted, the story appears to be missing a bit at the end, but it lends the game a unique charm IMO.
And nothing beats riding around Afghanistan on my trusty steed killing Russian soldiers. NOTHING.
I loved that horse. I named him Harris, because it sounds a bit like 'horse' and I liked to play with his arse a lot.

Thursday

Not sure why people are still saying that Death Stranding's gameplay is a total mystery

Also all the information about the game here

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/games/death-stranding-ps4/

Clownbaby

I don't trust the trailer one bit and I never do with games. My mam is a big fan of Mads Mikkelsen and wants me to preorder it but I'm not paying dick til I see what the actual released game is like. Game trailers are notoriously misleading

VelourSpirit

It's good that this mad shit can still happen. Think how many people they need to spend £50 on this, when so many will just look at it and go 'oh it's a walking simulator'. Fuck that shitty term. Wasn't clever the first time they used it, the smug fucking arseholes. Alright, literally just walking across a field for an hour would get boring, but there's gonna be more to it than that. How the fuck are they gonna make any money at all though? Too good to be true. I don't usually buy games as soon as they come out but I think this'll be a great experience. The trailers are works of art in themselves to me.
Never finished metal gear solid is it good

Urinal Cake

The gameplay seems pretty understandable. You stealth a lot because you're fighting fucking ghosts etc and if you fight you could lose your packages. You can also avoid fights by finding new paths to settlements using ladders etc doing puzzle shite.

St_Eddie

I get the impression that Hideo Kojima would care to be a film director, but would we tolerate his writing if he were?  If he wrote a film, we'd laugh ourselves out of the room.  Why do we hold different standards for movies, than we do for videogames?  It's a question which I often ask myself.

Perhaps it's because videogames are a relatively young medium.  When I encounter a well written game, I applaud but that shouldn't be the exception to the rule.  Programmers do not good writers make, I guess.  Having said that, AAA games are more commonly hiring professional writers these days.  So why are the scripts for videogames so bad these days, generally speaking?  Why do they honk so badly?

popcorn

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 31, 2019, 09:19:18 AM
Perhaps it's because videogames are a relatively young medium.  When I encounter a well written game, I apploud but that shouldn't be the exception to the rule.  Programmers do not good writers make, I guess.  Having said that, AAA games are more commonly hiring professional writers these days.  So why is videogame writing so bad these days?

I'm not sure it's uniquely bad, tbh. I started playing God of War the other day and the dialogue is bad in that "we've spent loads of money on this and it's got proper actors in and everything" way that loads of crap expensive TV is like. We're long past the days of laughable b-movie dialogue with Jill sandwiches and so on.

Kelvin

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 31, 2019, 09:19:18 AM
I get the impression that Hideo Kojima would care to be a film director, but would we tolerate his writing if he were?  If he wrote a film, we'd laugh ourselves out of the room.  Why do we hold different standards for movies, than we do for videogames?  It's a question which I often ask myself.

Perhaps it's because videogames are a relatively young medium.  When I encounter a well written game, I applaud but that shouldn't be the exception to the rule.  Programmers do not good writers make, I guess.  Having said that, AAA games are more commonly hiring professional writers these days.  So why are the scripts for videogames so bad these days, generally speaking?  Why do they honk so badly?

I don't think you're right about that. Generally speaking, gamers do think his dialogue is at best daft, at worst crap. People love his games for the gameplay, and increasingly, how bat shit insane they are; all of it elevated by amazing art design, out there concepts, interesting worlds and amusing meta references.

That would still be true in a film. In fact, there are already several directors and series that people enjoy in spite of their bad or mediocre dialogue. It's not unique to gaming.

No offence but the only interesting thing about that film director aaaahhh stuff is that anyone would make such a trite point in 2019.

Kojima is obviously a total blurt but so much of what he does is playing with the medium and expectations of his own games and established high-concept tropes. What he does would only work via videogames whether or not it's shit.

Mister Six

Yeah it's a bit of an inane point to make. It's like saying "Everybody loves Jackson Pollock but could he design a skyscraper?" Er, no, probably not. What's that got to do with anything?

Cuellar

Right I'm just going to ask it, fuck it.

Does 'AAA' when referring to computer games mean 'Access All Areas' like in concerts etc.? Or does it just mean 'very good'.