Author Topic: Death Stranding, new Hideo Kojima joint  (Read 1791 times)

Zetetic

• Burying isn't the same as killing.
Re: Death Stranding, new Hideo Kojima joint
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2019, 09:37:39 PM »
Some of the base stuff from MGS V wasn't that fun.

I think Kojima is one of those things where it's not a horrendous problem that it exists and it is what it is - it's just ends up feeling a bit much that he's one of very few highlights. And that's less about him than everyone else.

« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2019, 10:59:53 PM »
Kojima is like Tarantino or Cage. Contentious but awesome. The difference is that they seem to have a healthy (dis)respect for the 'show business' while Kojima is in love with it. I think it shows in his direction and writing. Venerating certain outdated tropes.  Or like in MGS4 and having fashion models being the Beauty and Beast Unit. Or his current love affair with Mads Mikkelsen.

Mister Six

• Half-masted, bass-boosted, sling-backed
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2019, 03:03:23 PM »
Kojima is like ... Cage. Contentious but awesome.

Nicolas, John or Johnny?

« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2019, 07:12:15 PM »
I'm quite concerned he means David.

« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2019, 08:46:46 PM »
I think it's largely that it operates in the interesting space that is "Japanese America" An outsider's attempt to emulate Hollywood ends up creating something quite unique. Particularly because it's also fused with anime influences.

I suppose you could point to the Resident Evil and Silent Hill games as other examples of Japanese America, that offer different results, but I think they're both interesting in their own way. Even if Resi is dumb b-movie schlock, it's still manages to be quite fun.

David Cage games of course just end up creating something that's a bit uncanny and wrong.

Nier Automata feels like another example of this, although I don't know Yoko Karo's opinion on western media.

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2019, 09:16:55 PM »
If a game wants to flaunt its writing and direction in particular, the writing and direction better be good, and  should naturally come under scrutiny because the developers behind whatever game it may be made a big thing about how well written and cinematic the game is. If game directors and developers are selling their game as an evocative cinematic experience as well as a game, I don't really see how looking at a sweeping movie quality game as comparable/contrastible to an actual film is bollocks. The game creators obviously want it to be seen that way. They want to bridge actual well witten and directed story and gameplay. Unfortunately most of them dick it up and you end up with the absolute display of a beige mess that is Heavy Rain or some other twat

As much as I love playing them, and the fun cheese factor, Kojima can't write for shit. His stories are intensely convoluted and ridiculously stupid, even by video game standards.

But then without trying, but probably failing, to be snobby, its really hard to take writing in video games that seriously in comparison to literature and cinema. So I always appreciate it for what it is.

Also Nicolas Cage is brilliant, in every single way.

« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2019, 06:03:19 AM »
As much as I love playing them, and the fun cheese factor, Kojima can't write for shit. His stories are intensely convoluted and ridiculously stupid, even by video game standards.
For all his convoluted plots and characters, Kojima often does great endings- sums up the important shit he wants to say, hits you in the guts with emotion and leaves you with a lasting impression.

I'm quite concerned he means David.
I've only played a demo of Detroit. But the answer is Nicolas Cage.