Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:47:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Death Stranding, new Hideo Kojima joint

Started by Mister Six, May 29, 2019, 09:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

Some of the base stuff from MGS V wasn't that fun.

I think Kojima is one of those things where it's not a horrendous problem that it exists and it is what it is - it's just ends up feeling a bit much that he's one of very few highlights. And that's less about him than everyone else.

Urinal Cake

Kojima is like Tarantino or Cage. Contentious but awesome. The difference is that they seem to have a healthy (dis)respect for the 'show business' while Kojima is in love with it. I think it shows in his direction and writing. Venerating certain outdated tropes.  Or like in MGS4 and having fashion models being the Beauty and Beast Unit. Or his current love affair with Mads Mikkelsen.

Mister Six

Quote from: Urinal Cake on June 01, 2019, 10:59:53 PM
Kojima is like ... Cage. Contentious but awesome.

Nicolas, John or Johnny?

popcorn

C_Larence

Quote from: Thursday on June 01, 2019, 07:43:14 PM
I think it's largely that it operates in the interesting space that is "Japanese America" An outsider's attempt to emulate Hollywood ends up creating something quite unique. Particularly because it's also fused with anime influences.

I suppose you could point to the Resident Evil and Silent Hill games as other examples of Japanese America, that offer different results, but I think they're both interesting in their own way. Even if Resi is dumb b-movie schlock, it's still manages to be quite fun.

David Cage games of course just end up creating something that's a bit uncanny and wrong.

Nier Automata feels like another example of this, although I don't know Yoko Karo's opinion on western media.

bgmnts

Quote from: Clownbaby on June 01, 2019, 02:32:38 AM
If a game wants to flaunt its writing and direction in particular, the writing and direction better be good, and  should naturally come under scrutiny because the developers behind whatever game it may be made a big thing about how well written and cinematic the game is. If game directors and developers are selling their game as an evocative cinematic experience as well as a game, I don't really see how looking at a sweeping movie quality game as comparable/contrastible to an actual film is bollocks. The game creators obviously want it to be seen that way. They want to bridge actual well witten and directed story and gameplay. Unfortunately most of them dick it up and you end up with the absolute display of a beige mess that is Heavy Rain or some other twat

As much as I love playing them, and the fun cheese factor, Kojima can't write for shit. His stories are intensely convoluted and ridiculously stupid, even by video game standards.

But then without trying, but probably failing, to be snobby, its really hard to take writing in video games that seriously in comparison to literature and cinema. So I always appreciate it for what it is.

Also Nicolas Cage is brilliant, in every single way.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: bgmnts on June 03, 2019, 09:16:55 PM
As much as I love playing them, and the fun cheese factor, Kojima can't write for shit. His stories are intensely convoluted and ridiculously stupid, even by video game standards.
For all his convoluted plots and characters, Kojima often does great endings- sums up the important shit he wants to say, hits you in the guts with emotion and leaves you with a lasting impression.

Quote from: popcorn on June 03, 2019, 07:12:15 PM
I'm quite concerned he means David.
I've only played a demo of Detroit. But the answer is Nicolas Cage.

Mister Six

Van Dammage

I'm holding out hope that Guillermo Del Toro being involved in the writing with Kojima may lead to some of Kojima's shiter ideas being scrapped.

Mister Six

He's not involved in the writing. He's described his role as "a puppet".

Van Dammage

Thursday

Non Stop Dancer

I'm still intregued by the story part of this, but it's hard to conceive of a duller gameplay reveal.

brat-sampson

It was an insane troll-trailer to pull at supposedly a massive games conference. Pissing mushrooms, rock-a-bye baby and NPCs that look like 'celebrities', meanwhile we *know* the game has combat, shooting sequences, exploration etc, but we need to wait for TGS to get anything else. Basically he forgot this was even happening until like a week ago, assumed Europeans treat Keighley like a modern Hasselhoff and just went fuck it and filmed a thing.

It was amusing enough, but surely not a fair representation of the actual game, still, the game that's due out in 3 months.

I'mma buy it day 1, I know it.

Ferris

Is this gonna be good, like? Just saw an 8 minute trailer for it which doesn't bode well frankly - sounds like it may have already disappeared up its own fundament.

Urinal Cake

Story will be wank but in the end you will tear up. The gameplay will be innovative but it hasn't been fully realised.

Urinal Cake

Briefing Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPbLaR90AH8
50 min gameplay  in Japanese https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StCQp9TD834

The briefing trailer is good and has me hyped. I expect Marianne Williamson will play the former President/President's mother.

Hank Venture

I am really looking forward to this, against my better judgment. I have great expectations but I also expect to be disappointed if that makes sense. I just hope it avoids the pitfalls of RDR2.

Mister Six

That is some fucking ropey animation there, good god.

It'll probably still be great though.

Lost Oliver

Dreadful. Couldn't watch it. Amazing that that shit passes for actual entertainment. Adults find that funny.

Obel

Conan is funny as fuck you bunch of cynical cretins.

brat-sampson

There's a new final launch trailer out, it's about 7m long again and apparently fairly spoilery, according to some.

Not watching a second of it, so this is more of a PA.

Hyped as fuck for next week.

popcorn

Yeah I think Conan is genuinely very funny and likeable - I mean he wrote some fucking brilliant Simpsons episodes, how could you doubt his comedy credentials? But that bit with Kojima was a bit of a damp squib, it felt like they didn't really get any good material out of it but had to stick it in the episode anyway.

Urinal Cake

Conan as a writer was great as a tv host he is pretty rubbish. As a voice actor he is pretty horrible too.

But Death Stranding looks fun with all the running away.

peanutbutter

Conan is like a man who sold his soul to the devil to skip a few steps up the ladder, only to discover that in exchange he's permanently trapped at that level.

Watched that doc of his tour a few months ago, was really grim to see just how bitter he was about all the Tonight Show stuff. That could've been the chance for him to realise he could be doing much more fulfilling stuff with his time but he was just fucking itching to get back to hosting.