Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:51:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ridiculous comedy merch

Started by Twed, May 30, 2019, 06:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaky

More worrying is the fact there are 25 reviews and most of them are very positive. Some people really will buy fucking anything.

Fambo Number Mive

At a market in Birkenhead, someone was selling framed Mrs Browns Boys quotes.

Utter Shit

The Only Fools and Horses website is legendary for their willingness to sell any old tat, seemingly with great success, but these two are really taking the piss. I mean I don't remember the Parry van even existing in the show, and Denzil's truck is just a generic truck with no obvious connection to the show.

the

The clothing products don't actually exist until someone buys them. Up to that point they're just a picture someone has uploaded to the site. The site allows anyone to apply an image/design to a generic garment and have a site page for the product.

If someone orders one, their digital printshop will then print onto a garment (with varying levels of quality control) and ship it. There's no limit to the theoretical products available and no physical surplus is produced.

Bennett Brauer

Job lot of these shirts for a CaB meet?

MidnightShambler

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 30, 2019, 10:30:35 AM
At a market in Birkenhead, someone was selling framed Mrs Browns Boys quotes.

Birkenhead market, or what passes for it these days, is home to some of the most glorious tat in Britain. The place where all the prints of paintings of women with big tits on motorcycles go to die.

Did you treat yourself to a baked potato while you were there?

idunnosomename

Quote from: the on May 30, 2019, 11:43:04 AM
The clothing products don't actually exist until someone buys them. Up to that point they're just a picture someone has uploaded to the site. The site allows anyone to apply an image/design to a generic garment and have a site page for the product.

If someone orders one, their digital printshop will then print onto a garment (with varying levels of quality control) and ship it. There's no limit to the theoretical products available and no physical surplus is produced.
how much money do the sellers get. because this looks like lazy copyright infringement

the

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 30, 2019, 01:28:33 PMhow much money do the sellers get. because this looks like lazy copyright infringement

I don't know, but I've used a t-shirt site to make my own one-off designs, and that particular site allows you to set the selling price of the garment. Anything above cost price (about £11.50 on a normal t-shirt) is a profit margin which is paid to you should someone buy your tat (so if you set the price to £15, you get about £3.50 for each one). I don't know how other sites work it out.

I only make stuff for myself though, so I just buy items at cost price for my own consumption. I don't want anyone else to buy them.

There's no point worrying about copyright infringement - because there's no outlay, the internet is awash with theoretical novelty digital-print garments that no-one will ever buy, will never physically exist and no-one will ever make a profit from.

This medium for humour will also rapidly expose two vital shortcomings in people that make the designs - 1) shit sense of humour, and 2) shit design and imaging skills.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: MidnightShambler on May 30, 2019, 01:10:14 PM
Birkenhead market, or what passes for it these days, is home to some of the most glorious tat in Britain. The place where all the prints of paintings of women with big tits on motorcycles go to die.

Did you treat yourself to a baked potato while you were there?

Sadly not. Are they especially good?

Sebastian Cobb

On a general Redbubble tat tip, if this cost around 20 quid, rather than an eye-watering 80, I'd probably buy it.

Fambo Number Mive

Why is the same picture on there twice? Is that part of the meme?

the

The image has just been set to be tiled. No concept of design employed, just tossed off for a laugh.

Neomod

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 30, 2019, 01:28:33 PM
how much money do the sellers get. because this looks like lazy copyright infringement

I thought these sites actually checked designs before they allowed you to sell em? Society 6 did last time I checked.

Redbubble leave it up to the uploader so don't check.

https://help.redbubble.com/hc/en-us/articles/201579195

the

The moderation is more likely to happen when somebody bothers to order one and it goes to the print shop. Think of the tidal wave of images uploaded every day.

As said though, there's no point getting sniffy about copyright on such niche/theoretical stuff. Do you think the BBC will be damaged in some way if somebody prints a publicity shot from one of their programmes onto a pair of leggings?

Fernando Botero probably retains reproduction rights on that duvet cover.

Avril Lavigne

The strangest thing about this figure set is that it's from the Super7 ReAction line which is otherwise entirely figures based on properties that appeal to stereotypical 30-something sci-fi-/fantasy/horror geeks; Alien, Back to the Future, Star Trek, Big Trouble in Little China, Masters of the Universe and so-on.  Who the hell are these aimed at?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on May 30, 2019, 02:44:39 PM

The strangest thing about this figure set is that it's from the Super7 ReAction line which is otherwise entirely figures based on properties that appeal to stereotypical 30-something sci-fi-/fantasy/horror geeks; Alien, Back to the Future, Star Trek, Big Trouble in Little China, Masters of the Universe and so-on.  Who the hell are these aimed at?

Lord only knows!

*nonchalantly kicks Golden Girls action figurines out of view*

MidnightShambler

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on May 30, 2019, 02:44:39 PM

Wayne Rooney

madhair60

MidnightShambler

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 30, 2019, 01:57:28 PM
Sadly not. Are they especially good?

I don't know, I've never had one. I just always see people eating them whenever I have the misfortune to be in Birkenhead. I can't imagine why a baked potato filled with beans OR TUNA from a market stall 10 yards from a public toilet would be anything less than tasty though.

Twed

Quote from: the on May 30, 2019, 11:43:04 AM
Yep. And the reviews mentioned above are really just marketing (I think they're the same on every product type).

It's a depressing world we live in, but we must relish in the fact that it generates hilarious leggings.

Twed

Quote from: Neomod on May 30, 2019, 02:31:12 PM
I thought these sites actually checked designs before they allowed you to sell em? Society 6 did last time I checked.
I think Society6 has a much smaller throughput than RedBubble.

the

Quote from: Twed on May 30, 2019, 04:42:20 PMYep. And the reviews mentioned above are really just marketing (I think they're the same on every product type).

Well I assumed that those reviews relate to the garment item itself, not the actual printed instance of the garment on that particular page.

Quote from: Twed on May 30, 2019, 04:42:20 PMIt's a depressing world we live in, but we must relish in the fact that it generates hilarious leggings.

The advance in technology for applying printed designs to clothing is an amazing thing. 15-20 years ago you could only get crappy transfers or cheap-looking inkjetted jobs - and if you wanted a one-off silkscreened garment you could forget it due to the setup costs.

Now you can get something completely unique made up with decent print quality and quickly shipped to you for very little. It's a technical and economic marvel.

paruses

Quote from: the on May 30, 2019, 01:51:08 PM
[...], but I've used a t-shirt site to make my own one-off designs, [...]

Any recommendations? Apart from a Bea Arthur t-shirt I woudln't mind having a couple of things made up and half decent quality (for the money) would be preferable. I promise to put some effort into being hilarious / the photoshop.

Twed

Quote from: the on May 30, 2019, 04:56:50 PM
Now you can get something completely unique made up with decent print quality and quickly shipped to you for very little. It's a technical and economic marvel.
That's great, but it does mean that all of the online shops are full of trick products generated by automated spamming machines, and that is miserable.

imitationleather

But now you get t-shirts with such bizarre bot-generated slogans of the "DON'T OVERTAKE ME, I'M JUST A BASEBALL FAN WHO LOVES HIS VEGAN KIDS"-type. When bored I've killed some serious time going through page after page after page of them. If I was still a teenager I probably would be wearing that stuff for the lulz. Idiot teenager.

Twed

I get you, this is my phone case:

It isn't made for a Pixel 3 so I had to get it custom-made. Knock-off of a knock-off.