Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:37:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

When singers decide to start singing with a different voice for some reason

Started by Clownbaby, May 30, 2019, 07:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
King of America is largely without The Attractions and a great album.

Didn't Elvis Presley lower his register in the Vegas years? Still a great singer but different.

poodlefaker

I've always thought Bryan Ferry was doing a sort of Geordie Dylan impression

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: mrClaypole on June 02, 2019, 01:39:30 PM
Ha ha. Suggs or Lee?. I saw Lee in Camden doing a small pub gig. He was quite taken back that I had travelled all the way from Birmingham to see his "ropey revue" so spent the next 30 mins pouring a bottle of brandy down my neck. I still don't know how I got from that pub to Euston station.

Suggsy, when he's been on the sherberts, can be a bit sloppy but I honestly think he's on top form at the moment.  I think most Madness fanatics have a Thommo hellraiser story to tell. Was that a Crunch gig or LT Orchestra affair? I wonder if we know each other Mr Claypole?

Brundle-Fly

DrGreggles

I'm going to see Madness in a couple of weeks, so I'll see how Suggs sounds then.
Not been noticeably different at previous gigs.

Incidentally the band sound great these days.
The addition of the full brass section works so well.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 02, 2019, 06:18:08 PM
I'm going to see Madness in a couple of weeks, so I'll see how Suggs sounds then.
Not been noticeably different at previous gigs.

Incidentally the band sound great these days.
The addition of the full brass section works so well.

Kenwood?

DrGreggles

Is there someone who can sell me a kettle?

EDIT: Oops, got the lines mixed up

Yussef Dent

Quote from: TheMonk on June 01, 2019, 10:31:42 AM
I saw Paul Young a few years ago and he's decided to start singing with the voice of a drunken hobo with the flu.

A mate of mine had to review one of his gigs in Derby, he was that bad people were starting to walk out after just a few songs. The most excruciating bit though was that he had the gumption to do an encore, which by the time he returned to the stage the venue was practically empty.

Quote from: thecuriousorange on June 01, 2019, 07:56:28 PM
Present-day Meatloaf's voice is entirely shot.

His AFL Grand Final performance in 2011 is the stuff of legends. I understand he just mimes now as his own fans tried to take him to court after a horrendous tour down under.

madhair60

Didn't Eminem start rapping in a sort of Apu voice for a couple of albums?

jobotic

Dunno but i remember when Chuck D would only speak like Daffy Duck for a year. Dunno what all that was about.

Clownbaby

Quote from: madhair60 on June 03, 2019, 03:20:46 PM
Didn't Eminem start rapping in a sort of Apu voice for a couple of albums?

Aye that was an odd one. I think I read he started doing that because he was a bit rusty after nearly dying from a sleeping pill addiction and had to relearn some motor skills, felt odd and self-conscious about rapping again and did the voice and the whole serieal killer campy halloween thing with Relapse to ease himself back in to it or mask that he was out of practice

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on June 02, 2019, 04:49:47 PM
Didn't Elvis Presley lower his register in the Vegas years? Still a great singer but different.

I think his voice just naturally deepened with age. He was always possessed of an impressively velvety baritone, but if you listen to his '50s and '60s material he actually adopted several different voices depending on the song at hand. A highly versatile singer.

Also, the fatter and more depressed he became, the more he tended to focus on singing big, melodramatic, pain-wracked ballads. His operatic Vegas voice tended to dominate because of that.

Quote from: Yussef Dent on June 03, 2019, 01:47:02 PM
I understand he just mimes now as his own fans tried to take him to court after a horrendous tour down under.

I'm not surprised, touring down under with Meat Loaf really would be horrendous.

BUT SERIOUSLY.

Meat Loaf must be an extremely wealthy man. He doesn't need to tour, surely? Why doesn't he just retire and enjoy the rest of his life?   

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 02, 2019, 09:53:39 PM
Is there someone who can sell me a kettle?

EDIT: Oops, got the lines mixed up

I heard Jeremy Vine, of all people, nicking Bob's Kenwood joke on Radio 2 this afternoon.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 03, 2019, 08:51:04 PM
I heard Jeremy Vine, of all people, nicking Bob's Kenwood joke on Radio 2 this afternoon.

Isn't it originally one of his brother's gags?

Ah, well in that case I have completely missed the point of Vine's knowing theft.

DrGreggles

If my brother nicked one of my gags I'd be FURIOUS!

This is why I make sure that all my jokes are shit.

And I don't have a brother.

To be fair, he was doing some sort of 'bit' on the Steve Wright show - I was only half-listening, but I believe the comic conceit was that Jeremy Vine thinks he's as funny as his brother. I dunno, I'm ashamed to admit that I heard it at all to be honest.

sweeper

Brett Anderson's voice on A New Morning sounds like he'd been on the Regals, and I think the general consensus was that it was fucked from his excesses.

I found out recently that he'd actually taken singing lessons to change his voice, because he was trying to make the band sound as least like 'Suede' as possible, which is very on-brand for Suede, to be fair.

I did also hear (anecdotally) that he was using Kelly Jones as his voice model, which is wholly depressing, but probably a good indication of where they were when they made that album, which is shit, as Brett well knows.