Author Topic: Slugs from This Country  (Read 1422 times)

Jockice

• I really have red hair. And a **********.
Slugs from This Country
« on: May 31, 2019, 10:17:53 AM »

Blue Jam

• Really dense bread marbles
Re: Slugs from This Country
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 03:15:23 PM »
Yes, this is horrible news. It was mentioned in the Dump Gang Facebook group a few weeks back- Michael Sleggs is a member, along with Paul Cooper and a few other cast members.

Slugs is such a great character- he's the friend no-one likes but Kerry and Kurtan hang out with him anyway because the village is tiny and all their other friends have moved on and they're bored. The character really contributes to making the universe of This Country feel so very tiny. You feel a bit sorry for Slugs because Kerry and Kurtan are so harsh on him, but at the same time he is utterly annoying and you have to laugh when Kurtan knocks the drink out of his hand with perfect comic timing. I love all his LEGEND GARY-style t-shirts too.

Michael Sleggs seems like a genuinely nice bloke too, there are lots of stories of fans meeting him at various This Country events and posing for pics with him and they're always saying how nice and smiley and friendly he was. Such a horrible bit of news from out of the blue.

amnesiac

• Please consider downvoting me
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 05:19:32 PM »
"It's like a crap die hard franchise, 'How can the same s**t happen to the same guy twice!'

awww is there a word for funny and sad at the same time? loved Slugs he seemed so other-worldly and tragic, would have loved to see more of him.

Mobius

• he who hingeth aboot getteth hee haw
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 03:42:12 AM »
Gutted :( Same age as me. Poor fucker, seems like such a lovely man.

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 12:22:16 PM »
God, they weren't joking were they? I wonder if they'll go to laser quest now

Jockice

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 12:42:56 PM »
you have to laugh when Kurtan knocks the drink out of his hand with perfect comic timing.

That got probably the biggest laugh out loud from me of anything in the last year or so.

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 09:01:59 AM »
Saw on Twitter that Michael’s passed away. Very sad news.

Jockice

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 09:23:01 AM »
Aw, no. RIP.

Blue Jam

• Really dense bread marbles
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 10:34:15 AM »
This from the BBC- as Michael Sleggs himself said on Facebook a few weeks back, he didn't have cancer (though he was successfully treated for it in the past), it was a heart condition:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48935431

There are also some nice tributes on The Dump Gang over on Facebook right now, if anyone here is a member.

RIP Slugs.

BritishHobo

• That is a really reductive impression
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 10:37:33 AM »
Lovely article that. Heartbreaking. Although it's nice to think thanks to This Country he's being remembered by such a lot of people.

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 02:29:21 PM »
"It's like a crap die hard franchise, 'How can the same s**t happen to the same guy twice!'

awww is there a word for funny and sad at the same time? loved Slugs he seemed so other-worldly and tragic, would have loved to see more of him.

Tragicomic?

Glebe

• Cheers, thanks mate, nice one.
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 02:32:40 PM »
I've never watched This Country, but that's very sad, no age to go... RIP mate.