Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:59:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Slugs from This Country

Started by Jockice, May 31, 2019, 10:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Yes, this is horrible news. It was mentioned in the Dump Gang Facebook group a few weeks back- Michael Sleggs is a member, along with Paul Cooper and a few other cast members.

Slugs is such a great character- he's the friend no-one likes but Kerry and Kurtan hang out with him anyway because the village is tiny and all their other friends have moved on and they're bored. The character really contributes to making the universe of This Country feel so very tiny. You feel a bit sorry for Slugs because Kerry and Kurtan are so harsh on him, but at the same time he is utterly annoying and you have to laugh when Kurtan knocks the drink out of his hand with perfect comic timing. I love all his LEGEND GARY-style t-shirts too.

Michael Sleggs seems like a genuinely nice bloke too, there are lots of stories of fans meeting him at various This Country events and posing for pics with him and they're always saying how nice and smiley and friendly he was. Such a horrible bit of news from out of the blue.

amnesiac

"It's like a crap die hard franchise, 'How can the same s**t happen to the same guy twice!'

awww is there a word for funny and sad at the same time? loved Slugs he seemed so other-worldly and tragic, would have loved to see more of him.

Mobius

Gutted :( Same age as me. Poor fucker, seems like such a lovely man.

shh

God, they weren't joking were they? I wonder if they'll go to laser quest now

Jockice

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 31, 2019, 03:15:23 PM
you have to laugh when Kurtan knocks the drink out of his hand with perfect comic timing.

That got probably the biggest laugh out loud from me of anything in the last year or so.

Saw on Twitter that Michael's passed away. Very sad news.

Jockice

Blue Jam

This from the BBC- as Michael Sleggs himself said on Facebook a few weeks back, he didn't have cancer (though he was successfully treated for it in the past), it was a heart condition:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48935431

There are also some nice tributes on The Dump Gang over on Facebook right now, if anyone here is a member.

RIP Slugs.

BritishHobo

Lovely article that. Heartbreaking. Although it's nice to think thanks to This Country he's being remembered by such a lot of people.

bobloblaw

Quote from: amnesiac on May 31, 2019, 05:19:32 PM
"It's like a crap die hard franchise, 'How can the same s**t happen to the same guy twice!'

awww is there a word for funny and sad at the same time? loved Slugs he seemed so other-worldly and tragic, would have loved to see more of him.

Tragicomic?

Glebe

I've never watched This Country, but that's very sad, no age to go... RIP mate.

Blue Jam

Daisy May Cooper got married yesterday and Michael Sleggs had been due to be one of her "bridesmaids":

https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/20/countrys-daisy-may-cooper-posts-heartbreaking-message-michael-sleggs-ahead-wedding-10782261/

How lovely.

Jockice

Blue Jam

NoOffenceLynn

Woops was trying to quote Blue Jam jam there, didn't work.😬

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: NoOffenceLynn on September 13, 2020, 11:18:32 AM
Ah that's beautiful.

Nah, it's just his middle name and a pretty poor tribute*, if she'd called the child Slugs Slugette Cooper I'd have been impressed, but as it is I'm violently disgusted.

*This might sound harsh but my middle name is that of my dead father's (who died before I was born) but it never makes me think of him.

Blue Jam

My first name is one which isn't common in the UK but is a bit more popular in a country where my father used to do a lot of work. He chose my name and my mother always reckoned he named me after an ex.

I kind of hope that's true.

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 12, 2020, 09:32:23 PM
This is lovely:

Daisy May Cooper names baby after late co-star Michael Sleggs

" Mr Sleggs, from Cirencester - a personal friend of the Coopers - had terminal cancer and drew up a bucket list, which included playing Laser Quest."

Erm, aren't the BBC confusing the actor with the character there? Michael died of heart failure not cancer (but I suppose he could also have had a visit to Laser Quest on his bucket list).

ASFTSN

One of the funniest parts of This Country is when Kerry says she'd sometimes seen Slugs wearing a Tudor ruff as part of his historical re-enactment hobby/fetish, but always just assumed it was some sort of "air filter" for health reasons.