Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:38:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"art" games that are fucking terrible

Started by madhair60, May 31, 2019, 03:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

popcorn

Basically all of them.

When Braid came out and it had violins in it everyone shat their pants because they were so moved.

madhair60

Every single one is shit.

The kind of thing thick people think is profodun

Twed

Gone Home undermined itself at every opportunity. Clicking through cupboards to find that same stock 3D model of a soda can popping up and rotating like it's Resident Evil? Not very fucking immersive. The final journey to the attic or whatever was good and foreboding, but the game had already proved itself to be an idiot for a solid hour before that point.

Men who aren't allowed to cum got angry because it's not a game, but the problem was that it is a game in all the ways it shouldn't be. It's like Half Life but they replaced all of the aliens and things with your sister being a lesbian.

It's also very guilty (but not the worst offender) of having the kind of narration that doesn't exist in nature. They always get voiceover artists who are clearly extremely content American women and the contentedness shows in the acting. All the diction is perfect, so it sounds like a local news anchor living out their fantasies of being a riot grrrl who gets straight As and is whatever the fuck a valedictorian is.

hedgehog90

Quote from: Twed on May 31, 2019, 04:07:14 PM
Gone Home undermined itself at every opportunity. Clicking through cupboards to find that same stock 3D model of a soda can popping up and rotating like it's Resident Evil?

I was interested in playing Gone Home until I saw about 5 seconds of gameplay which featured one of the worst 3D bike models I've ever seen, in amongst an otherwise well-designed environment.
I immediately crossed it off my list of 'games i should maybe play'.
Honestly it was dogshit, this bike.
I'll never forget it.
Just awful.

Thursday

Twed

Quote from: popcorn on May 31, 2019, 05:43:23 PM

Gone Home's strategy to hide the fact that it made up almost entirely of artlessly-integrated models from Turbosquid was to just throw handwritten stuff in everywhere.

What was the message again?

Oh, yeah. Waheyyyyy lezzers!

So weird when thats kind of tone wouldn't appeal to the people who'd play arthosue games anyway?

tourism

I have a lot time for most games with wanky followings, Hideo Kojima etc but I'm also into the heavy early '10s nostalgia these Gone Home takedowns are producing.

biggytitbo

Samantha fox's strip poker was my first art game and it was indeed terrible.

Twed

Quote from: The Boston Crab on May 31, 2019, 06:11:34 PM
Oh, yeah. Waheyyyyy lezzers!

So weird when thats kind of tone wouldn't appeal to the people who'd play arthosue games anyway?
No, the message was more of the "isn't it just WONDERFUL that we are accepting of lesbians in media? We are truly the enlightened ones". The distilled plot is amusing to read because it basically boils down to "precious rich white girls exist, and it is fascinating when they go from one place to another".

I didn't really think the message was Waheyyyyy lezzers! But I agree with everything that you wrote.

madhair60

bgmnts

I quite liked Layers of Fear if that counts.

Thursday

Quote from: madhair60 on May 31, 2019, 07:02:40 PM
Reported

Don't you dare fucking report me, or I will dox and harass and eventually kill you.

Deyv

Gone Home's alright once, as long as you think you're going in thinking it's going to be a horror game. If you just read the plot in a condensed form, then of course it's going to seem crap. That's not how you play games. Gone Home is about the realisation that you're not playing the game you thought you were.The original Doom would sound crap if you just read the plot online. "Wheyyyy white guy shoots evil aliens!" And that's a classic. Not my words, the words of everyone who's ever played it and isn't a dickhead (sorry if you don't think Doom is a classic, that does make you a dickhead though :( ).

This is the only attempt I'll make at defending Gone Home, I'd appreciate it if no one ever referred to it.

Twed

Quote from: Deyv on May 31, 2019, 08:33:28 PM
Gone Home's alright once, as long as you think you're going in thinking it's going to be a horror game. If you just read the plot in a condensed form, then of course it's going to seem crap. That's not how you play games. Gone Home is about the realisation that you're not playing the game you thought you were.
Just to clear this up, that isn't how I played Gone Home. I'm just saying that its plot doesn't back it up.

Deyv

Quote from: Twed on May 31, 2019, 08:36:10 PM
Just to clear this up, that isn't how I played Gone Home. I'm just saying that its plot doesn't back it up.

Oh okay, fair enough. And I should probably add that I only played it once, years ago, and a friend's copy. So my opinion is a bit of stinky piss, really.

I'll let you know if everyone is wrong about Night in the Woods as soon as one of my friends buys it.

machotrouts

Quote from: Deyv on May 31, 2019, 08:33:28 PM
Gone Home's alright once, as long as you think you're going in thinking it's going to be a horror game.

This is exactly what I did, because the footage I saw of it on Videogame Nation had ghosts in it.

Didn't see those ghosts in the game. Can't find anything online that credibly says Gone Home has ghosts in it. Quite a lot of sources that specifically state that Gone Home does not have ghosts in it. Can't find any other use of that footage of Gone Home that clearly has ghosts in it. I have spent 4 years confused about this.

Deyv

Quote from: machotrouts on May 31, 2019, 08:57:20 PM
This is exactly what I did, because the footage I saw of it on Videogame Nation had ghosts in it.

I don't see any ghosts in that video. Maybe you're being haunted.

EDIT: Looked again, there are definitely ghosts in that video. Aren't they the ones from The Shining?

Thursday

Yes it clearly is The Shining, they've clearly edited the footage. Clearly.

Chollis

it was then machotrouts realised he'd been dead for 5 years

St_Eddie

All these cunts talking about Cronenberg and Kubrick.  Fucking bullshit, mate.  Watch Iron Man punch a twat and shut up.  I don't like my art to have meaning.

Ferris

Zetetic

Games can have slightly ropey production values, including more than slightly ropey and off-putting mechanics, without them being terrible.

(Gone Home was just about alright.)

madhair60

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 01, 2019, 02:30:37 AM
All these cunts talking about Cronenberg and Kubrick.  Fucking bullshit, mate.  Watch Iron Man punch a twat and shut up.  I don't like my art to have meaning.

Cronenberg and Kubrick are basic bitch tier cinema. Wake me up when you want to get real cineaste

or - alternatively - don't bother making the boring "i'm better than you" post next time it occurs to you to do so