Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:21:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Help me get a PS4 please

Started by Puce Moment, May 31, 2019, 05:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puce Moment

The airbnb place my wife and I stayed at in Prague surprisingly had a PS4, and we loved it! Only playing games on my PC I am quite divorced from consoles, but it is clear we would like to get a PS4 with some suitable games. We both enjoyed taking turns playing the more open and silly Grand Theft Auto, and also really got into the creepiness and even the storyline of The Last of Us.

So if you were getting a PS4 now, what is the best option? A new model with a game bundle perhaps? Or are places like Ebay and Cex just flogging odd badly repaired old machines? I quite fancy the wireless controllers as well, so that may have an affect on my decision.

Also, I know I have asked this before, but if you know of some good 2-player games that would be great. My favourite multi-player games on the SNES were Bomberman and MarioKart - just pure fun, but I don't know that there is much like that on the PS4.

Basically, I don't know what the fuck I'm doing about spec, 2nd hand or not, etc. Help!

Get a fucking Switch if you want to play multiplayer games mate. Loads on there including your beloved Bomberman and Mario Kart, plus loads more great stuff.

PS4 is for single player cinematic stuff to sell tellies.

biggytitbo

Ps4 has crash team racing which everyone knows is better than Mario kart. For coach coop game, I hear 'a way out' is pretty good.

Don't listen to biggy, please. These are absolutely stupid opinions.

There are probably one hundred very good multiplayer games on the Switch.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the best ever Mario Kart.

biggytitbo

Fuck off with your switch, I could make a switch out of a raspberry pi if I wanted then shove it up your arse. Get a ps4.

I have every console. PS4 is cunt tier to sell tellies with single player boring games with loads of graphics

I have probably four hundred games on the Switch. It's the best multiplayer console ever made, and has a million amazing games and ports on it.

Xbox One is fine.

Xbox 360 you can play the full range of Japanese shoot em up games. That's probably the one you want.

biggytitbo

Maybe a sensible approach is if you like the kind of games they have on the ps4, get a ps4 and if you like the kind of games they have on the switch, you're an idiot.

Can't say fairer than that.

Thursday

Nintendo games are all for paedophiles though, so there is that.

Obviously PS4 has a few paedo games but not as many.

Dex Sawash

Ferris

PS4 good, my Switch is gathering dust. Load of shit.

Get a refurb 2nd band one like on CeX or whatever that place is called now. Nice and cheap, job done

Puce Moment

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 01, 2019, 03:52:34 PM
PS4 good, my Switch is gathering dust. Load of shit.

Get a refurb 2nd band one like on CeX or whatever that place is called now. Nice and cheap, job done

Cheers, I am put off by how everyone smells in Cex and also what that might mean for how much old sperm has fallen through the tiny cracks in the controllers. But that is now my plan, alongside some games. Not sure if RAM is important, although I probably will use it for playing blu-rays.

Ferris

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 01, 2019, 03:55:15 PM
Cheers, I am put off by how everyone smells in Cex and also what that might mean for how much old sperm has fallen through the tiny cracks in the controllers. But that is now my plan, alongside some games. Not sure if RAM is important, although I probably will use it for playing blu-rays.

Yeah me either, the RAM/pro versions are for idiots with massive tellies and that ain't me.

Get on it!

Mister Six

I got a basic PS4 just after they came out and have had no trouble with it. Unless you have a 4K telly or want to play VR (why?) then you don't need the Pro version.

Though I would recommend getting a 2TB drive off Amazon or somewhere and installing it. It's a total piece of piss to do, and will stand you in good stead.

Have a Switch but it doesn't get as much use. Mrs Six and I enjoyed Mario Odyssey and Mario Party together, but the Nintendo games cost a fortune and most of the rest are on PS4 anyway.

biggytitbo

Yeah I don't think its worth bothering with the Pro version when all the games run just fine on a standard PS4, especially so near to the release of the PS5.

To be honest, if you have a 4K telly or PSVR the Pro is noticeably better and a lot of the more demanding games are starting to struggle a bit with the base console. I played RDR2 at my mate's house and I had to lie about how it looked on mine because I didn't want him to feel bad. Then I got it on the One X and it made the Pro look bifida tier. Doesn't matter because it's a load of boring shit either way.

Get a Switch.

biggytitbo

Yes, the only real benefit of a PS4 pro is if you have a 4k telly, otherwise don't bother. I'm playing detroit become human on the ps4 base and aside from the occasional frame rate stutter its the best looking game ever made. I've played a load of new games on a decent pc in recent years and nothing looks remotely as good as this does, it not going to look any better on a PS4 pro, aside from the higher res.

chveik

Haha biggy. It's not going to look any better except for higher res and better performance. It does look amazing though, just a shame the entire game gave me IADS (not played it).

Blue Jam

Got an Xbone S, thinking of getting a Pro when Death Stranding comes out, so I might look for a Black Friday deal then. I am one of these twats with massive tellies so the Pro suits me- once you've gone 4K you can't go back.

Don't fancy the Switch.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Get a pro, they're great. Don't listen to all these gaylords.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on June 02, 2019, 04:24:13 PM
Get a pro, they're great. Don't listen to all these gaylords.

What are the main benefits? I don't have a 4k TV but will probably end up getting something quite soon as my Samsung is getting well-creaky.

Also, if a new version is coming out does it make sense to wait to mop up people flogging their old PS4s? Don't know much about this.

biggytitbo

From what I understand the PS4 pro doesn't even run most games at 4k as its a bit underpowered, so it does various upscaling tricks to try and fool idiots. I think if you only have a regular hd telly a normal PS4 is just fine for now, the PS5 is only a year out and that will be a proper 4k/60fps console.

Puce Moment

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 03, 2019, 01:00:15 PMFrom what I understand the PS4 pro doesn't even run most games at 4k as its a bit underpowered, so it does various upscaling tricks to try and fool idiots. I think if you only have a regular hd telly a normal PS4 is just fine for now, the PS5 is only a year out and that will be a proper 4k/60fps console.

Thanks - think I'm going to get a Cex refurbed PS4, some new controllers and maybe a job lot of games.

That's definitely a great idea. Good luck with it.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 03, 2019, 01:51:07 PM
Thanks - think I'm going to get a Cex refurbed PS4, some new controllers and maybe a job lot of games.

Good move, you can clear out a load of classic for a tenner or less each, uncharted 4, bloodborne, horizon zero dawn etc

Puce Moment

Thanks Biggy, cheers everyone.

Bosto - honestly, the Switch looks really good, with some games I am interested in, but it's a bit fucking pricey.