Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:19:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Roky Erickson RIP

Started by Ballad of Ballard Berkley, June 01, 2019, 12:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The legendary psychedelic pioneer has left this mortal coil. I hope he's out there somewhere, drifting through eternity with the music of the spheres.

https://www.thewrap.com/roky-erickson-13th-floor-elevators-singer-dies-at-71/

Levitation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwU4iCnWAPU

Slip Inside This House: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwSA0Tckwbk

If you dig full-pelt psychedelia and 'outsider' music but somehow haven't discovered The 13th Floor Elevators and Roky's solo output, then you're in for a mind-blowing treat.

Johnboy

sad news, quite young really

Bit of a tragic life, amazing he made it to 71.

Sent to prison and had his brain fried for being a bit strange and doing drugs in 1960s Texas.

Quote from: Johnboy on June 01, 2019, 12:16:10 AM
sad news, quite young really

Yes, I thought he was older for some reason. He had a rough life, to say the least, but I get the impression that he was a bit happier and more at peace with himself in the last ten years or so. I hope so anyway.

chveik

Sin Agog

Dunno why, but just like how I have an extra appreciation for Love's supposedly past their prime Four Sail, I really dig the Floors' Bull of the Woods.  Has more...varied hues or something.  The dodgy production almost lends it a lo-fi air of mystery.

RIP, Evil One.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 01, 2019, 12:24:53 AM
Yes, I thought he was older for some reason. He had a rough life, to say the least, but I get the impression that he was a bit happier and more at peace with himself in the last ten years or so. I hope so anyway.

Same...at least now we've found that common cultural touchstone.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 01, 2019, 02:16:48 AM
Same...at least now we've found that common cultural touchstone.

I always knew we would. Psychedelic rock: bringing people together since 1966.

the science eel

Quote from: Sin Agog on June 01, 2019, 01:55:38 AM
Dunno why, but just like how I have an extra appreciation for Love's supposedly past their prime Four Sail, I really dig the Floors' Bull of the Woods.  Has more...varied hues or something.  The dodgy production almost lends it a lo-fi air of mystery.

Yeah, it's always been my favourite too. Roky wasn't involved with a lot of it, tho'.

Ah fuck...what wild, magical music!

RIP Roky.

Lordofthefiles

Boo!

I Have Always Been Here Before is one of my favourite songs ever.

https://youtu.be/gBWW8oppmtg

RIP has probably never applied to anyone so appropriately.

sardines

Roky already looks in another world

https://youtu.be/a6JLKbSjH3E

I really like these videos of the Nuggets era bands on what I assume were rather mainstream US tv shows.
You have this staid of-its-time presentation leading into, let's face it, fucking timeless mindblowing  music.

There are a couple of Seeds videos with a similar feel.

You just know that the presenter was off camera chugging away on 10 cigarettes complaining at the state of their hair.

alan nagsworth

Fuckin' love the mad cunt, his undeniable impact and his legacy thru the dark, dark woods of the mind and his excellent solo career.

I will say though, I think The Psychedelic Sounds of... is a brilliant record that is deeply marred by that dreadful electric jug that permeates every damn song. That sound is one thing that probably sounded phenomenal at the time but as a 32 year old man in 2019 I just find it enormously irritating. It ruins the enjoyment of the record for me. Soz!

To each their own! I love that electric jug, it sounds like swirling globules of psychedelic lava. Which was the whole idea, of course, but it works for me. I just bloody love the whole sound of that album in general, the heavy reverb, the drones, the dirty twanging guitars, Roky's wild, feral vocals, it's fantastic.

I've never listened to any of his music but listening to all these links has blown me away this morning. Sad for those who are fans. I'll definitely be listening more. Incredible music.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Sin Agog on June 01, 2019, 01:55:38 AM

RIP, Evil One.

You are correct, both of those are good overlooked albums.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 02, 2019, 02:57:24 AM
To each their own! I love that electric jug, it sounds like swirling globules of psychedelic lava. Which was the whole idea, of course, but it works for me. I just bloody love the whole sound of that album in general, the heavy reverb, the drones, the dirty twanging guitars, Roky's wild, feral vocals, it's fantastic.

This, although Easter Everywhere is my fave by miles.

the science eel

YES yes yes

I prefer the albums either side of Easter Everywhere - which has some wonderful music but also some absolute rubbish ('Dust' is barely there, 'Slide Machine' just weak). The debut and the overlooked Bull Of The Woods are a bit more solid, somehow.

Lots of great solo stuff too: 'I Walked With A Zombie', 'Don't Slander Me', 'I Think Of Demons', 'Starry Eyes', 'I Have Always Been Here Before'.... These songs alone would be enough to elevate a singer to the pantheon of greats.

The Guardian changed their byline from 'musician who influenced Primal Scream' (imagine having THAT as your legacy!) to 'frontman of the 13th Floor Elevators' after a comment I made.

the science eel

Are there any of those psych pioneers left now? Syd, Sky, Arthur (Lee), Skip Spence and now Roky, all gone...

greenman

Yeah I think along with the reverb its a lot of what really sets their sound apart from a lot of contemporaries giving the music a drone like quality without becoming too rhythmic.

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: the science eel on June 02, 2019, 11:59:56 AM
Are there any of those psych pioneers left now? Syd, Sky, Arthur (Lee), Skip Spence and now Roky, all gone...

Roky's fellow Texan Mayo Thompson still walks among us...

Sin Agog

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on June 02, 2019, 03:52:29 PM
Roky's fellow Texan Mayo Thompson still walks among us...

Also Billy Miller who made probably the best Texan Psyche Rock album of all time with Cold Sun (most of whom backed Roky at some point in their careers).

the science eel

Quote from: Sin Agog on June 02, 2019, 03:57:16 PM
Also Billy Miller who made probably the best Texan Psyche Rock album of all time with Cold Sun (most of whom backed Roky at some point in their careers).

Yeah? Never heard of them. I'll investigate - thanks for the tip!

That Golden Dawn (?) album is pretty good.

alan nagsworth

Actually I listened back to The Psychedelic Sounds of... this morning for the first time in ages and the jug didn't annoy me as much as I remembered. Had a blast cooking breakfast and jamming out to it, it's really a remarkable piece of work. The troubled and horror/sci-fi laced The Evil One is fucking fantastic as well. Haven't listened to that one in YEARS and was instantly blown away by "Two Headed Dog". Dude had some fuckin' voice on him.

Sin Agog

Quote from: the science eel on June 02, 2019, 04:42:09 PM
Yeah? Never heard of them. I'll investigate - thanks for the tip!

That Golden Dawn (?) album is pretty good.

I only have the Dark Shadows archival release.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ByWGhI84OGU

Julian Cope did a great write-up on three of the more tantric cuts: https://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/albumofthemonth/billy-miller-three-visionary-songs

A bloke I know actually went down to Texas to interview all these cats for a book he was writing.  There is definitely a very particular sound unique to that scene.

the science eel

Absolutely.

Didn't Roky play on that early Red Krayola stuff? Maybe I'm just thinking of one track...

Sin Agog

Yeah, I remember hearing that was Roky on the organ on Hurricane Fighter Plane.  Admittedly, it sounds like it might have been a bit of a one-finger jobbie.

alan nagsworth

Is the later-years stuff with Okkervil River any good? I don't know owt about that band.

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: the science eel on June 02, 2019, 05:05:11 PM
Didn't Roky play on that early Red Krayola stuff? Maybe I'm just thinking of one track...

Yes, he's the organist on "Hurricane Fighter Plane" and the harmonicaist on "Transparent Radiation."

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 02, 2019, 01:16:05 AM
Fuckin' love the mad cunt, his undeniable impact and his legacy thru the dark, dark woods of the mind and his excellent solo career.

I will say though, I think The Psychedelic Sounds of... is a brilliant record that is deeply marred by that dreadful electric jug that permeates every damn song. That sound is one thing that probably sounded phenomenal at the time but as a 32 year old man in 2019 I just find it enormously irritating. It ruins the enjoyment of the record for me. Soz!

I think the electric jug is great, but it does sometimes unjustly pigeonhole them as just a "weird" almost novelty band. In reality, 60s-era Roky was just a fantastic rock vocalist, for example on their Bob Dylan cover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGqEFQ5xmjU

the science eel

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 02, 2019, 05:20:36 PM
Is the later-years stuff with Okkervil River any good? I don't know owt about that band.

Yes, because you really get to hear Roky's voice and it's very moving in places - especially now, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR48Va72vNg