Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:19:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

63 Up

Started by Jockice, June 01, 2019, 01:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Starts on Tuesday. I will cry. I always do.

Alberon

Well, as long as you're not wanking to it this time that's okay.

Jockice

Quote from: Alberon on June 01, 2019, 02:09:55 PM

That's only when the posh boys come on.

the science eel

Quote from: Jockice on June 01, 2019, 01:55:15 PM
Starts on Tuesday.

Oh, excellent. I always forget the thing exists altogether - and then seven years later, here we are again. Looking forward enormously.

phes

Great!

One of them has died since the last one. If this carries on its going to be a grim but relevent trudge though all the poor people dying first

pigamus

Quote from: Alberon on June 01, 2019, 02:09:55 PM

When I watched a bit of it in A-Level Sociology in about 1998, there was that Northern bloke - the one who becomes a Physics teacher? Anyway, when he came of age all the girls in class went, 'Ooooooh!'

The London taxi driver bloke's going to bang on about voting leave and Britain having too many immigrants in an infuriating "see, I was right all along wasn't I?" way isn't he?

Jockice

Quote from: pigamus on June 01, 2019, 04:12:53 PM
When I watched a bit of it in A-Level Sociology in about 1998, there was that Northern bloke - the one who becomes a Physics teacher? Anyway, when he came of age all the girls in class went, 'Ooooooh!'

That's Nick, the one brought up on a farm. He did have a certain rugged John Noakes quality about him at 21. I can totally see why teenage girls would appreciate him.

My favourite at that age was the posh girl Suzy. She was cool, cynical and chain-smoking. She's mellowed out since then though, or at least on the bits they show on the telly. But then she was just the type of woman I've always fancied. Usually with disastrous consequences.

Sin Agog

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on June 01, 2019, 04:24:44 PM
The London taxi driver bloke's going to bang on about voting leave and Britain having too many immigrants in an infuriating "see, I was right all along wasn't I?" way isn't he?

Tony was a year or two below my mum who went to the same school (dunno if she was there when they shot that footage for 7 Up).  She votes Green.

Ta for the reminder, man.  Rewatched them all a couple of years ago, then got quite into the South African one as well, who were more my generation.  It's eerie how many dimensions 7 Up has.  Can't imagine anyone watching this and not breaking their own life down into 7 year increments. I think Jockice started a thread about just that in General which I was too lazy to post in.

Sorta wish they wouldn't tackle Brexit in this one.  It's such a fucking sinkhole that even this beloved cultural artefact can't avoid falling into it.

Jockice

Quote from: Sin Agog on June 01, 2019, 04:32:35 PM
Tony was a year or two below my mum who went to the same school (dunno if she was there when they shot that footage for 7 Up).  She votes Green.

Ta for the reminder, man.  Rewatched them all a couple of years ago, then got quite into the South African one as well, who were more my generation.  It's eerie how many dimensions 7 Up has.  Can't imagine anyone watching this and not breaking their own life down into 7 year increments. I think Jockice started a thread about just that in General which I was too lazy to post in.

Sorta wish they wouldn't tackle Brexit in this one.  It's such a fucking sinkhole that even this beloved cultural artefact can't avoid falling into it.

Oh yeah, I did, didn't I? Not sure if I started that thread but I certainly broke my own life down. For 49 Up I'd have lost my job, fucked up my PhD, become more disabled, and probably had some sort of nervous breakdown in my mid 40s. And then the surprise ending would be that I'd finally got a steady girlfriend. The one I wouldn't have admitted to fancying in 14 Up.

There wouldn't have been a dry eye in the house. Well my house anyway.

Bennett Brauer

There were only 4 girls to 10 boys, which Apted regrets, and I think that's why by 56 Up there was a lot of focus on some of the men's wives.

Trailer here, which doesn't give too much away: https://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week23/63

Only 2 non-participants this time? One will be obvious from previous editions, and the other is much sadder news, as Phes said.
Saw this comment on the previous thread 7 years ago:
Quote from: vrailaine on February 04, 2013, 04:17:44 PM63 Up, if it happens (Apted will be about 76 by then so it's plenty possible anyway), will be dealing a lot more with the effects of aging. Quite possible that there would be a death, or at least the group will be a lot more conscious of it.
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=31661.0

peanutbutter

Kinda dreading how much this whole thing may wind up focusing on Brexit. Neil's gonna be going on about fuck all else at the very least, I assume.

That being said, if it does tackle Brexit, and Apted is still alive in 7 years, the following one could be pretty fascinating. "Oh fuck, we're all dying, why were we so fixated on that thing?!"

Shaky

It'll be addressed but I think Apted et al are far too canny to make it the focus of the entire series.

Mister Six

Presumably it'll continue even if Apted dies? He didn't do the first one after all.

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on June 02, 2019, 02:29:12 AM
Presumably it'll continue even if Apted dies? He didn't do the first one after all.

This is what I hope.  I suspect he's had an eager assistant working with him on this one and the previous one who'll be able to step up and continue it if desired.

Sin Agog

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing what Brett Ratner will do with the material.

Jockice

Quote from: Replies From View on June 02, 2019, 09:44:05 AM
This is what I hope.  I suspect he's had an eager assistant working with him on this one and the previous one who'll be able to step up and continue it if desired.

Claire Lewis is the executive producer and has been for a long time. I remember this because a former colleague of mine has the same name.

Jockice

PS, don't do what I just did and look up details of what's going to be on the show. I've found out some information I'd rather not know.

Ian Drunken Smurf

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Jockice on June 02, 2019, 10:49:35 AM
PS, don't do what I just did and look up details of what's going to be on the show. I've found out some information I'd rather not know.

As already referred to in the thread? Or is there something else?

Jockice

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on June 03, 2019, 12:06:04 AM
As already referred to in the thread? Or is there something else?

No. It's not in this thread. But I think I know who'll be the last one featured this time.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Jockice on June 03, 2019, 05:56:32 AM
No. It's not in this thread. But I think I know who'll be the last one featured this time.

I think I know what you mean. If so, it gives context to part of the trailer linked upthread.

I see there's a celebrity-infested tribute show tonight https://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week23/7-me. But at least ITV seem to be giving it more publicity than they did 56 Up.

jobotic

So this celeb shite on now isn't it? Thank fuck for that.

Sin Agog

Tony's almost a Green voter, who'd've thunk it?

One thing I think this program's dead important for in this exact point of time is humanising the types we'd otherwise mentally #cancel.  Anyway, my internet's shit so better get back to streaming.

GMTV

The depressing creeping march towards equilibrium

Sin Agog

I read about one of them dying years ago when it happened, but I must have completely ballsed it up in my head 'cause when cockney Sue appeared aged 63 I thought I was watching a reanimated corpse for a few seconds (and she looks great, so not because of that).

the science eel

Very enjoyable but I'm looking forward to tomorrow's - which features everybody's favourite...

Lost Oliver

Nick though man. Eugh. Bloody sad. I cried three times at this.

"The passage of time, is flicking dimly upon the screen."

Sin Agog

Quote from: the science eel on June 04, 2019, 10:18:27 PM
Very enjoyable but I'm looking forward to tomorrow's - which features everybody's favourite...

I dunno, man.  I never found Bruce that exciting.

Aye, Nick always puts himself through so many challenges (especially emotionally on camera in a way probably not too natural to him).  A man with his attitude and life force will very likely come on top in a battle like that (this must have been filmed a few months ago, right?), but still...a right kick in the gut.  The way he looked off to the corner (where the dark imagination lies) as he admitted he was fearful for his family's sake.

jobotic

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on June 01, 2019, 04:24:44 PM

He might vote Green!