Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:26:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

63 Up

Started by Jockice, June 01, 2019, 01:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

Quote from: jobotic on June 04, 2019, 10:40:15 PM
He might vote Green!

Do you get the vibe that might have been damage control to make him appeal to everyone?  Might be a wise move when you consider how much flack any of them get when they say anything political.  A couple of mild criticisms of Thatcher scared one of them off the show for several decades.

Jasha

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on June 01, 2019, 04:24:44 PM
The London taxi driver bloke's going to bang on about voting leave and Britain having too many immigrants in an infuriating "see, I was right all along wasn't I?" way isn't he?

He might vote Green!

"I've been a lifelong Torie voter but never again"

So Thatcher selling off the housing privatisation NHS waiting lists and spiteful austerity and he kept on voting conservative but as soon as they don't deliver brexit

Jockice

Quote from: the science eel on June 04, 2019, 10:18:27 PM
Very enjoyable but I'm looking forward to tomorrow's - which features everybody's favourite...

Not mine!

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Has anyone ( vis- a - vis the thread title) done the " that reminds me, how *is * your mum?" gag yet ?

jobotic

So I'm not as familiar with this as you. Are they all still in it? Has anyone decided that they don't want to take part any more?

Sin Agog

One of them rudely dropped out by dying.

The only other full time drop-out quit after 14 Up only to become a documentary maker of all things.

the science eel

Quote from: Jockice on June 04, 2019, 11:12:39 PM
Not mine!

I got it wrong! he'll be in on Thursday.

Jockice

the science eel

Sin Agog

My dad showed this to his Chinese wife a decade or so back, and instead of seeing the fatalistic poetry in Neil smegging off to the orkneys to read dilapidated paperbacks in a dilapidated caravan, she just straight-up called him a loser.   Considering I now spend much of my life reading dilapidated paperbacks in a dilapidated boat, I have no doubt what she must think of me.  Fuck off do I ever plan on becoming a Lib Dem councillor, though.

Jockice

Quote from: jobotic on June 04, 2019, 11:22:21 PM
So I'm not as familiar with this as you. Are they all still in it? Has anyone decided that they don't want to take part any more?

Apparently Suzy's not in this one. Boo. And indeed hiss.

phes

Talking of smegging, anyone spot the Red Dwarf Smeg Ups VHS tape in 1990s Sue's living room.

The thing I took away from this is that if you don't really fucking love your work or consider it so essential that it's imperative you devote your life to it, you should probably avoid it like the plague and make lifestyle choices accordingly. Giving enormous amounts of time and energy to work so that you can have a bigger house, or a second house, or a second or third child. Well, fuck that. Symon (I think) had it right when they asked him in 7up! what he was going to do when he was older and replied that he was just going to walk about and see what he could find. Simplify man, simplify!

Tough to see Nick staring death in the face. Really tough

ian01604

Quote from: Sin Agog on June 04, 2019, 10:47:29 PM
Do you get the vibe that might have been damage control to make him appeal to everyone? 
dunno, he seemed to be enjoying his  surroundings in that community for retired cockneys amongst nature .

ian01604

Quote from: phes on June 05, 2019, 12:11:36 AM
Talking of smegging, anyone spot the Red Dwarf Smeg Ups VHS tape in 1990s Sue's living room.

Loved the way the dog came running into the room and came to a halt right in front of it.

He might vote Green!

Definitely wasn't expecting that! Although it's interesting to note that once his dreams of living abroad in the sun were gone, he went onto vote leave so nobody else from the UK could easily live that dream either.

Jockice

I like the way that when they asked Sue about her two children (one male, one female) she said that they were both single and hadn't found the right man. And left it at that. I can't help feeling that a few years ago having a gay child would have been seen as something to make a fuss about.

GMTV

Quote from: ian01604 on June 05, 2019, 12:18:50 AM
dunno, he seemed to be enjoying his  surroundings in that community for retired cockneys amongst nature .

Like a Big Train sketch

Jockice

Quote from: Sin Agog on June 04, 2019, 10:47:29 PM
Do you get the vibe that might have been damage control to make him appeal to everyone?  Might be a wise move when you consider how much flack any of them get when they say anything political.  A couple of mild criticisms of Thatcher scared one of them off the show for several decades.

I remember that. Peter (one of the middle-class Liverpudlian pair) and Bruce (the posh boarding school boy) were both teachers and both criticised Thatcher but for some reason the former got all the press flack. I can't possibly imagine why.

Replies From View

Does anyone know how I might catch the first episode now?  I missed it.

Jockice

Quote from: Replies From View on June 05, 2019, 08:43:19 AM
Does anyone know how I might catch the first episode now?  I missed it.

ITV Hub? Not that I've ever used it but perhaps someone else on here might know how to get it.

Replies From View

Quote from: Jockice on June 05, 2019, 08:46:30 AM
ITV Hub? Not that I've ever used it but perhaps someone else on here might know how to get it.

Ah yes - there it is.  Thank you.

Hey, Punk!

I really don't like the aestheticisation of Neil's life, it must have been absolutely fucking miserable. He himself dislikes how his journey has been interpreted as a triumph of the human spirit, he considers himself a failure and I believe that his life may have been a lot worse without Augustus Gloop's help. The poetry is in the depiction of Neil's life, not in the life itself.

Hey, Punk!

Quote from: Sin Agog on June 04, 2019, 11:41:14 PM
My dad showed this to his Chinese wife a decade or so back, and instead of seeing the fatalistic poetry in Neil smegging off to the orkneys to read dilapidated paperbacks in a dilapidated caravan, she just straight-up called him a loser.

I don't know how close you are to her, but she sounds vile. My family is full of such types.

Lost Oliver

It's that shot of him in 28, waiting on the side of a road with his arm outstretched. Honestly, it gets me every time. It's such a powerful image.

People only ever see themselves but for me he looked thoroughly miserable and on the brink. At no point did I see his life as poetic but by Christ did I weep.

jobotic

Sin Agog

Every time I see that clip of Lynn saying, "Christ! What have I done?" I can't help but mentally remark on how much she sounded like Nigel Tufnel.

jobotic

Christ. What an excellent person Lynn seemed to be.

Lost Oliver

Wish we had longer with each person.

Sin Agog

All the East End Girls turned out to be extremely strong personalities who could call you out on your balderdash with genuine compassion.  Only arc I find disappointing is Bruce's.  Your ass used to be beautiful! He was an antidote to those three posh boys born on the 'conveyor belt to success,' to paraphrase the one who quit.  But it seemed like his Rhodesian dad's ghost finally possessed him in the end.  Basically I wanted him to grow up to be Jeremy Corbyn.

finnquark

In bits for the entire section about Lynn, what a fucking brilliant person.