Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:57:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

63 Up

Started by Jockice, June 01, 2019, 01:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the science eel

I was thinking 'does this fucker ever smile?' but he cracks up at the Larkin quote.

He does look a bit like Frankenstein's monster - that tall forehead with the wispy fringe WAY UP HIGH ON TOP

sevendaughters

started on ep3, the editing around Neil's wedding was weird, obviously they didn't have permission to show the bride. All four in this episode (not counting Suzy) seem like you could have a pint with them.

Jasha

Quote from: peanutbutter on June 08, 2019, 12:56:03 PM
That's very surprising, I'd've thought a few of them done this. Perhaps explains why Andrew always feels like a disjointed afterthought?

On the surface Andrew is just so bloody bland but scratch and there's a certain melancholy. He's lived up to every expectation of and benefited from the privilege conveyor belt without ever seeming happy. Previously he'd mentioned that 'an education' is the one thing a parent can give that can't be taken away, and that his children hadn't been sent to prep school because he wanted to play a part in their formative years, then in this episode how perhaps he should have attended a few more school plays. I can't help but pick up on a longing for more (any?) affection as a child and despite keeping the children at home a little longer he hasn't given his own children the affection he would have liked too.

Still a privileged bore mind

sevendaughters

EP1:
- Tony is a fellow brother of DVT, respect. Imagine he's way more lairy off-screen, slams cupboards.
- Andrew is a real bore, how can you go through life with so little interiority?
- Sue seems great. I hope her son is better at snooker these days. Gina McKee to play her in the story of her life.
- Nick has always been a fav, I sense his rolling inner turmoil. Just a general point: look how lovely the 21-35 bits of his life are filmed, real celluloid, telly looks so flat these days. Good on him for marrying Angela Ripon. Imagine this is the last we'll see of him.

sevendaughters

EP2
- Bruce a future Miles Jupp sketch. Nice enough fella, pleasantly eccentric, enjoyed his Man From Havana turn playing chess in the rain.
- Jackie still a bit combative about Apted's casual sexism in the early days. Her sons at least seem to have had a good base even if she's still down in the dumps.
- Peter is every Scouse academic I've met combined with former auxiliary member of the Icicle Works.
- RIP Lynn. Burn all Conservatives in hell.

EP3
- Symon seems cool.
- Paul probably the most underrated one of the lot. A real inner journey captured here, shaking off demons from before 7.
- John quietly dignified, a privileged sort but has minimised opportunity to be awful and maximised chances to help the world, even if Bulgaria is not that in need of Challenge Anneka these days.
- Neil remains the star, a compelling story and really the best mental health parable on tv. I admire his resilience immensely.

peanutbutter

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 09, 2019, 06:57:53 PM
EP1:
- Nick has always been a fav, I sense his rolling inner turmoil. Just a general point: look how lovely the 21-35 bits of his life are filmed, real celluloid, telly looks so flat these days. Good on him for marrying Angela Ripon. Imagine this is the last we'll see of him.
I hope not, he looked like he was pretty much in the middle of treatment in that interview. It's entirely possible he's in remission at this stage?

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 09, 2019, 07:33:48 PM
EP2
- Bruce a future Miles Jupp sketch. Nice enough fella, pleasantly eccentric, enjoyed his Man From Havana turn playing chess in the rain.
Get the impression Bruce was possibly as tormented as Neil for the longest time, albeit with a much more secure base to work from. The guy made a good go at trying to do good in the world and it's a shame that he seemingly couldn't get what he wanted from it, I'd be very surprised if he doesn't at least still try a bit though (even if it's just petty arguments with coworkers or whatever).

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 09, 2019, 07:33:48 PM
EP3
- John quietly dignified, a privileged sort but has minimised opportunity to be awful and maximised chances to help the world, even if Bulgaria is not that in need of Challenge Anneka these days.
My read on his whole Bulgaria thing is that he's mentally used it as a means to tell himself that he's some kind of underdog (and maybe it did hold him back a _little_), making it in England despite his Bulgarian heritage. To me, it comes across little different than wealthy American Jewish guys absolutely plowing money into Israel, albeit with a less problematic country involved.
He's definitely not a total shitbag but he's probably a lot closer to that pompous 7 year old than he'd like to think.

Twed

Everybody in 35 Up looks so old. I'm 35 and haven't taken great care of myself but these people all look ten years older than me.

Twed

Do you think John and Andrew's mouths would look like that if they were born poor

Is it genetic or part of the poshening process?

Cuellar

Obligatory 'Bruce was my maths teacher at school' post

Twed

How was Bangadlesh

Cuellar

no idea what you're talking about, I've never actually seen the show. Just remember my parents telling me Mr Balden was on this television programme and I was like 'oh yeah? interesting'

Right I'm off cheers

Urinal Cake

My read of the Toff boys was that John felt that he had to make a positive impression hence doing the charity work in Bulgaria. Andrew just sort of realised he just didn't need to act like a dick and has led a life of quiet contentment. I think Charles just felt that he could've never lived up to people's expectations whether it was doing law or as a toff come good hence he quit.

Twed