Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:07:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pavement

Started by Head Gardener, June 02, 2019, 04:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

I will take Gold Soundz by Pavement over the entire output of the Fall, and I like the Fall.

non capisco

I still love Box Elder and Embassy Row and all that but I saw these cunts when they reformed ten years ago and it was one of the most boring live experiences of my life, like a sullen thirteen year old child in front of relatives being forced to sing a charming song everyone loved that they made up and used to sing all the time when they were eight. Resent at having to DO THIS SHIT AGAIN for YOU CUNTS almost visible as aggrieved cartoon wiggly waves surrounding Malkmus' head. Him on one side of the stage, everyone else on the other. All the warmth of a hollow forced work toast for a hated boss' birthday.

Phil_A

"Terror Twilight" as an album feels hella poignant to me, has a real sense of the nineties good times coming to an end about it. It was only appropriate that Pavement, a band who embodied the decade to an absurd degree, should dissolve with it.

Just a shame the sad legacy of most of these bands is that they end up doing grudging reunion shows just to pay the bills.

famethrowa

Quote from: Phil_A on June 04, 2019, 12:19:29 AM

Just a shame the sad legacy of most of these bands is that they end up doing grudging reunion shows just to pay the bills.

Yeah travelling the world, getting paid to play songs you barely have to think about, lifelong devoted fans wherever you go... sounds horrible

sweeper

Quote from: non capisco on June 03, 2019, 11:44:01 PM
Resent at having to DO THIS SHIT AGAIN for YOU CUNTS almost visible as aggrieved cartoon wiggly waves surrounding Malkmus' head. Him on one side of the stage, everyone else on the other. All the warmth of a hollow forced work toast for a hated boss' birthday.

It felt like this as far back as when they were promoting Brighten the Corners. Like a school recital. I remember some guy vainly shouting 'Summer Babe' between songs, but to no avail. They just ploughed through 'Old to Begin' or some other MOR shit.

On a more positive note, I saw the Jicks a few months ago, and they encored with a few Pavement tunes, and they sounded good.

holyzombiejesus

samadriel

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.  I saw them in early '09 and a great time was had by all, I couldn't have asked for more.  Whether the same can be said of them more recently, I couldn't say, but they've earned my goodwill.

holyzombiejesus

I was just looking back at the line-up for their ATP. Despite everything, I miss ATP.

https://www.atpfestival.com/events/pavement/lineup

Pavement were really going through the motions at it though.

Head Gardener

I did a mix once, covers & originals

Pavement : Cream Of Gold
Fonda 500 : Box Elder
Pavement : Extradition
C - Kid : In The Mouth A Desert
Stephen Malkmus : Jo Jo's Jacket
Pavement : 5 - 4 = Unity
Pavement : Half A Canyon
Fuck : Heaven Is A Truck
Pavement : The Killing Moon
Pavement : Conduit For Sale!
Airport Girl : Cut Your Hair
Cat Power : We Dance
Pavement : Box Elder ~ live
Panty Lions : Baby, Yeah
Pavement : Blue Hawaiian
Bernhard : Gangsters & Pranksters
Gary Young : Plant Man
Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks : Craw Song
Colditz : Range Life
Pavement : Passat Dream
Lenola : Kennel District
Pavement : Here

Pavemented

Rolf Lundgren

Pavement were great but I don't have much interest in seeing them live as it might make me go off them.

Glebe

The Pixies were another obvious influence, 'Loretta's Scars' in particular sounds like 'Debaser.'

I had Slanted on cassette... I got the big luxury reissues of that and Wowee Zowee on CD and then actually never listened to them (although one of them might have been a gift).

jobotic

I'VE got the flexidisc of My First Mine that came with Ablaze magazine. The other track was better, but a band that I've never been able to find out anything about or anything else by. Lost the magazine a long time ago.

Captain Z

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on June 03, 2019, 02:56:07 PM
You could never accuse them of being too middle-of-the-road.

They are now a bunch of psyclepaths.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: jobotic on June 04, 2019, 07:35:47 PM
I'VE got the flexidisc of My First Mine that came with Ablaze magazine. The other track was better, but a band that I've never been able to find out anything about or anything else by. Lost the magazine a long time ago.

Fluff? Two of them went on to play in the relatively popular Tse tse Fly and The Wedding Present.

Deyv

Quote from: Head Gardener on June 04, 2019, 05:27:45 PM
I did a mix once, covers & originals

Kathryn Williams did a lovely cover of "Spit on a Stranger." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVJMhXyj-ro

Every time I say I like a Pavement song to one of their fans, the response is usually a sneery "oh, you like THAT era..." But  Shady Lane is fun!

To be honest, I only know one Pavement fan from not-the-internet.

peanutbutter

Pavement being a bit meh live surely covers quite a lot of their original run too? The impression I got from 2010 was that Malkmus was totally down but got somewhat reluctantly roped into doing a full tour. My recollection of how the tour was received at the time was that there was a wide variance in how engaged he was from show to show.

hummingofevil

I'm a Brighten The Corners man and never really fell for any of the other albums (and I only really love the first half of BtC TBF).

The added bonus of Pavement is that they are playing Primavera and having just got back from this one there is a very good chance that they won't even be in the top 20 great things that are on. Very much worth a shout of £180 or so.

It really was an absolutely stunning festival. I've been listening to nothing but female pop music for months now (along with the odd bit of ambient/drone/metal when it suits) which maybe swung my love of it but that is because women making pop music are making the best music out there and Primavera absolutely killed it on that count (and I missed all of Solange, Miley Cyrus, Rosealia and most of Roisin Murphy who all got ace reviews). Robyn, Carly Rae, Janelle, Erykah Badu, Sigrid, Charlie XCX, CupcakKe, Lizzo (ESPECIALLY Lizzo - in top 5 gigs I have ever seen) all absolutely ripped the (non) roof off the place. Great fun.

the ouch cube

Oddly enough 'Slanted' is the only one I'm NOT familiar with, so I suppose I'd better get on it...

Everyone knows the real 1990s American alt-rock equiv to the Fall (though not to the point of xeroxing them so far as I can tell) is Girls Against Boys.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: the ouch cube on June 05, 2019, 06:03:19 PM
Oddly enough 'Slanted' is the only one I'm NOT familiar with, so I suppose I'd better get on it...

Everyone knows the real 1990s American alt-rock equiv to the Fall (though not to the point of xeroxing them so far as I can tell) is Girls Against Boys.
* The Jesus Lizard leave thread in a state of high dudgeon*

jobotic

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 04, 2019, 08:11:08 PM
Fluff? Two of them went on to play in the relatively popular Tse tse Fly and The Wedding Present.

Oh I knew and forgot about Tse Tse Fly. I had trouble finding anything by them but should be easier now, with all the internet and that.

Thanks

popcorn

popcorn

sutin

Quote from: Epic Bisto on June 03, 2019, 08:10:16 PM
I tried to like Pavement but I just couldn't.  There is nothing to their songs whatsoever and Malkmus is a stuck up little shit.  Cynical connect-the-dots hipness.  Horrible.

Couldn't have articulated it better. Charmless, tuneless drivel. If you're gonna get on like you hate your audience, at least write some songs. Almost all their stuff is joyless one-note exercises in sarcasm. No warmth or wit at all.

Fuck I hate Pavement. Except Shady Lane which must be a cover because it's genuinely lovely.

phantom_power

Oh, do you not like Pavement?

Pauline Walnuts

I walked out of a Pavement gig once, not recently, back on their Wowee Zowee tour.

Well, actually, I went to see the support group, and I kinda had a train to catch, but I could have stayed an extra 10 minutes if I really wanted to watch them more.

Or was it Sebadoh? Can't remember. now, gawd it was 25 years ago. And doesn't it feel like it.

holyzombiejesus

********************POST ON THE NEW THREAD************************

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,89365.0.html