Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:22:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I'm going to a festival by mistake

Started by pancreas, June 03, 2019, 06:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancreas

https://www.houghtonfestival.co.uk/music/

No idea about any of this music. I have heard of Nick Luscombe because he does Late Junction. Perhaps someone can suggest what I should listen to in preparation? So far the only thing that has piqued my interest is in that list is Ultramarine. Most of the random picks I've tried appear to be absolute fucking dross and so I'm expecting to rely heavily on distractions. Probably should have just gone to Womad or something, in retrospect.

Sebastian Cobb

Colleen 'Cosmo' Murphy is fantastic.

https://worldwidefm.net/archive/?search=cosmodelica

I'd also see (in order of interest):
D Bridge
Randall
DMX Krew
Calibre
Joy Orbison
Ben UFO
Amit
Four Tet
Optimo

Phil_A

Should probably go see Biosphere at least.

I looked up INTERGALACTIC GARY and there's a video of him performing in front of a load of hipster douchebags who all look like Limmy in that one sketch, you know the one.

So this is who will most likely be attending your festival, pancreas. Have fun!

Funcrusher

For me:

Convextion live

DJ Stingray

Derrick Carter

Terrence Dixon live

Mark Ernestus

pancreas

thank you, I shall try to listen to these.

imitationleather

That looks like a tidy little festival.

I don't think you're going to find much you enjoy, though. Take all the drugs that you can.

Blinder Data

Yes, the line-up suggests everyone will be on drugs. Make sure you are too.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: pancreas on June 03, 2019, 06:45:34 PM
https://www.houghtonfestival.co.uk/music/

No idea about any of this music. I have heard of Nick Luscombe because he does Late Junction. Perhaps someone can suggest what I should listen to in preparation? So far the only thing that has piqued my interest is in that list is Ultramarine. Most of the random picks I've tried appear to be absolute fucking dross and so I'm expecting to rely heavily on distractions. Probably should have just gone to Womad or something, in retrospect.

Bloody hell, that is a great lineup - very jealous. Sync24, Biosphere (let me know if you see him), Intergalatic Gary!!! (see him!!!), Steevio (Newcastle born and bred, lived in Sandyford, maybe still does), Move D - those are my recommendations

Funcrusher

Given how oldsterish a lot of names are, hence I've heard of them, I reckon the audience will be a bit older and not so mad for it. A bit of dancing about after a couple of craft beers.

jobotic

Akufen
Magda
Villalobos

That's right nice.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: jobotic on June 03, 2019, 08:25:39 PM
Akufen
Magda
Villalobos

That's right nice.

Sadly, not the electronic pioneers but:

Akufen - Egyptian 90s pop-idol
Magda - Polish-Italo-Disco songstress from the 80s
Villalobos - Los Lobos cover band

Funcrusher

That sounds better than a load of Minimal dirge.

hummingofevil

Oooo that looks amazing. My absolute definites would be Flanger (Live), Pole (Live) and Karen Gwyer (Live). I strongly suspect the latter two will be machines and synths but no idea what Flanger live would be. Is it an Uwe Schmidt "Live" set where he brings his hardware or could him and Friedman go off on one and bring in actual like instruments.

Here is your answer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3UA4_T4Ep8&list=RDKnR5Y0I5lr8&index=2 Bit more minimal than the jazz awesomeness of some of their output.

Also, DMX Krew (live) is also likely to be Ed just pressing a different button on his computer than the play button for Traktor. If you dig through back catalogue you will find stuff that sounds almost close to an actual band but every time I have seen him "Live" it is still hardware. Could be ace though.

Akufen's problem was nothing else he ever did came remotely close to how fucking rad this is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7nNF0FJ3-I .

Optimo are Glasgow party legends who did the genre jumping DJing before it was trendy (old Sub Club nights on a Sunday in 90s were amazing before place got flooded out). If you like that type of thing they are great. I would also check out Seth Troxler as he is a bigger name than most on their and it's pretty much deserved. He is a cracking DJ who keeps a party going but throws in plenty of leftfield tracks that keep you interested. Check out his DJ Kicks.

Crabwalk

I'd be heading straight for Matthew Halsall and Floating Points.

pancreas

Quote from: hummingofevil on June 04, 2019, 12:57:15 AM
Akufen's problem was nothing else he ever did came remotely close to how fucking rad this is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7nNF0FJ3-I .

Yes, that's quite a good idea.

I've listened to a couple of tracks of Spotify. Not too bad. Has some idea of what a tune might be, vaguely interesting chords, doesn't mind a little discordance and some attempt to insert some rhythmic interest. 6.5/10.

boki

I have seen, and enjoyed, DMX Krew and Radioactive Man from that list.  Depending on your feelings about Electro, you might do too.  I'd be most looking forward to Floating Points if I was going, though, I reckon.

alan nagsworth

Deffo check out Karen Gwyer if you like abstract techno. She's fucking ace.

pancreas

Quote from: Crabwalk on June 04, 2019, 11:20:02 AM
I'd be heading straight for Matthew Halsall and Floating Points.

The first is actually actual music though.

The second is pretty good. Reasonably packed full of ideas, which stops it being boring. No tune to speak of, and not much in the way of harmony. Light and shade. Some sense of architecture and purpose. 7/10

I'll certainly go to Matthew Halsall.

pancreas

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 03, 2019, 08:23:23 PM
Sync24

Sounds like the sort of music you'd find in a tedious 90's video game set in space where you have to strategise upgrades for your planetary defence system. Not enough going on for my liking, and it all seems to be in the same key. 2/10

QuoteBiosphere (let me know if you see him)

Well it's gentle enough. Some would say soporific. Is this 'ambient music'? I don't suppose it's my cup of tea. I need a bit more stuffing, I'm afraid. 1.5/10

QuoteIntergalatic Gary!!!

Absolute dross. 0.5/10

QuoteSteevio (Newcastle born and bred, lived in Sandyford, maybe still does),

No tune, no harmony, somewhat interesting rhythms, purposeless. 2.5/10

QuoteMove D

Ah, well there's a proper melody in Leaves. Kind of inevitable when you have sung lyrics. Limited harmony. Good bass lines. Gets stuck in a loop too often. Decent harmony in Your Personal Healer. Approaching tolerability at times. 3/10.

Quote- those are my recommendations

Strike rate: 0/5. Sorry. Please try again when you have more money.

boki

I think in terms of more melodic than beats-y stuff, it'd probably be worth checking out Mixmaster Morris (ambient veteran) and Fourtet (generally a bit dancier), but I'm not really familiar enough with their output to recommend owt.

Looks really good that

I'd be checking

ALFOS/Weatherall
Bill Brewster
Derrick Carter
Gerd Janson
Horsemeat Disco
Idjut Boys
Neville Watson
Nick The Record
Optimo
Psychemagik

Even if none of them were there it still looks great.

pancreas

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 04, 2019, 12:09:11 PM
Deffo check out Karen Gwyer if you like abstract techno. She's fucking ace.

The Workers Are on Strike has quite a nice woozy ketamine feel to it. Like the frantic countermelody in Why is There a Long Line. Why Does your Father has quite a bit going on—like the sporadic ominous bassline particularly. Yes, seems like there's something in every track, one way or another. Bit purposeless, however. 6.5/10. Will probably see this person.

pancreas

Quote from: jobotic on June 03, 2019, 08:25:39 PM
Magda

Can't imagine what is supposed to distinguish this. 0.5/10.

QuoteVillalobos

Why I want to listen to same beat for 8-28 mins with minimal decoration?  0.5/10.

pancreas

Quote from: hummingofevil on June 04, 2019, 12:57:15 AM
Oooo that looks amazing. My absolute definites would be Flanger (Live), Pole (Live) and Karen Gwyer (Live). I strongly suspect the latter two will be machines and synths but no idea what Flanger live would be. Is it an Uwe Schmidt "Live" set where he brings his hardware or could him and Friedman go off on one and bring in actual like instruments.

Just listened to some Flanger (7.5/10) and Pole (7/10). I like this and will see these people.

imitationleather

I booked DMX Krew to play at a clubnight I was putting on years ago. He's a nice guy so definitely go and have a chat with him. Definitely.

Schnapple

This festival is very good. It is mainly about taking eccies, though.

boki

Quote from: Schnapple on June 07, 2019, 11:49:02 AM
This festival is very good. It is mainly about taking eccies, though.
That's so cliché.  It's perfectly feasible to enjoy an electronic music even without the use of ecstasy pilldrugs.

If you've got some acid.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: boki on June 07, 2019, 12:08:44 PM
That's so cliché.  It's perfectly feasible to enjoy an electronic music even without the use of ecstasy pilldrugs.

If you've got some acid.

and whizz.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: imitationleather on June 06, 2019, 04:34:41 PM
I booked DMX Krew to play at a clubnight I was putting on years ago. He's a nice guy so definitely go and have a chat with him. Definitely.

And very funny