Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:39:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Scorsese Dylan Film

Started by DukeDeMondo, June 03, 2019, 11:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

I'm just getting around to watching this. Jesus Christ, Joan Baez dancing to them doing "Eight Miles High"

It's making me want to hear that big box set though.

I've never heard "Rita Mae" before somehow and that version of "Simple Twist Of Fate" with Bob on piano was amazing!

popcorn

Fucking hated this. Turned it off towards the end. Endless unedited footage of hippies blathering bollocks. And of course half of it's made up.

I increasingly find I am a massive square when it comes to documentaries. Ooh, what is truth really, etc, ooh, what is fiction, what is documentary, what is art, what doth life. Fuck off and give me a talking head explaining it all.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The footage of Bob and co blathering bollocks is one of the film's main selling points.

a duncandisorderly

mick ronson, but. watching it now.

grassbath

Apparently one of the lasses in the Revue asked Mick Ronson 'what do you think of Bob?' and Mick said 'I dont know, he's never spoken to me.'

I find Dylan one of the funniest people alive. There are so many anecdotes like that which contribute to his status as this slightly befuddled, aggressively antisocial enigma. I still think the funniest news story I've ever seen was when his neighbours complained about the shit smells coming from the bottom of his garden.

Ferris

Quote from: grassbath on July 08, 2019, 10:46:44 AM
Apparently one of the lasses in the Revue asked Mick Ronson 'what do you think of Bob?' and Mick said 'I dont know, he's never spoken to me.'

I find Dylan one of the funniest people alive. There are so many anecdotes like that which contribute to his status as this slightly befuddled, aggressively antisocial enigma. I still think the funniest news story I've ever seen was when his neighbours complained about the shit smells coming from the bottom of his garden.

Probably composting the demo tapes from Shot of Love.

Ferris

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on July 08, 2019, 11:58:20 AM
shot of love is underrated

It is pretty much complete toilets, and I'm a Dylan obsessive who is willing to defend any old toot he comes out with.

grassbath

It's fucking crap, but he's made worse albums. Obligatory mention of 'Every Grain of Sand.' Although I do much prefer the incredibly pained and personal demo on the Bootleg Series WITH THE FUCKING DOG BARKING IN THE BACKGROUND. Which is just another hilarious Dylan thing.

Ferris

He's made some stinkers, our Bob, but you have to love him. SoL isn't the worst (Every Grain of Sand is his get out of jail free on that record), but it was the first bad one that came to mind and fit the meter of my gag in a funny way. I thought it was funny anyway.

'Property of Jesus' fucking slaps

also 'Heart of Mine' is top stuff, what album are you people listening to

SteveDave

As we're talking general Bob can I use this opportunity to say that I love "Hearts Of Fire"?

Bob Dylan vs Rupert Everett for "Fiona"

Partly filmed in Porthcawl apparently.

Get rid of the pussy, jump the rhythm, and tune it up!

I love Hearts of Fire only because it's really funny that it's a thing that actually exists

grassbath

Quote from: SteveDave on July 08, 2019, 01:17:59 PM
As we're talking general Bob can I use this opportunity to say that I love "Hearts Of Fire"?

Bob Dylan vs Rupert Everett for "Fiona"

Partly filmed in Porthcawl apparently.

Get rid of the pussy, jump the rhythm, and tune it up!

Everett's account of making this film in his autobiography is pure comedy gold. Dylan apparently drifted off while they were filming a car scene and when he was woken up by the director yelling cut, said 'where's the hotel?'

Ferris

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on July 08, 2019, 01:10:37 PM
also 'Heart of Mine' is top stuff, what album are you people listening to

state of this

it appears that people are still scared of good and truthful posts...

kalowski

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 08, 2019, 12:02:09 PM
It is pretty much complete toilets, and I'm a Dylan obsessive who is willing to defend any old toot he comes out with.
Shot of Love, Property of Jesus, Every Grain of sand, The groom's still waiting at the altar.
All good.

Ant Farm Keyboard

"The Groom's Still Waiting..." wasn't on the original version. It was a B-side added for the CD reissue.
"Lenny Bruce" is also quite good.

Now, Empire Burlesque is nearly ruined by the pointless overdubs by Adrian Baker, Knocked Out Loaded is a misfire, except for "Brownsville Girl", Down in the Groove is pointless (apart from "Death Is Not the End", an Infidels outtake, and the fact that Dylan got members from The Clash and the Sex Pistols on the same song). Under the Red Sky is extremely disappointing, due to Dylan working with a bunch of celebrities gathered by Don Was at the same time he was involved in the second Traveling Wilburys album, and just days before a new European tour. But, once again, there's Stevie Ray's solo on "God Knows".

kalowski

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on July 08, 2019, 09:52:43 PM
"The Groom's Still Waiting..." wasn't on the original version. It was a B-side added for the CD reissue.

Now, Empire Burlesque is nearly ruined by the pointless overdubs by Adrian Baker, Knocked Out Loaded is a misfire, except for "Brownsville Girl", Down in the Groove is pointless (apart from "Death Is Not the End", an Infidels outtake, and the fact that Dylan got members from The Clash and the Sex Pistols on the same song). Under the Red Sky is extremely disappointing, due to Dylan working with a bunch of celebrities gathered by Don Was at the same time he was involved in the second Traveling Wilburys album, and just days before a new European tour. But, once again, there's Stevie Ray's solo on "God Knows".
I agree with all of this.

Ferris

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on July 08, 2019, 09:52:43 PM

I unironically prefer all of these records to Shot of Love*. I prefer Good as I Been to You and World Gone Wrong to Shot of Love. Even Christmas in the Heart has more moments on it.

*except Knocked Out Loaded, which even I can't defend

Ant Farm Keyboard

If you want some London story involving Bob, there's quite a famous tale about him trying to visit Dave Stewart (they worked together a few times during the eighties and the nineties) and giving the wrong address to the cab. Dylan knocked on a door, and was welcomed by a woman. He told her he was supposed to meet Dave here. She happened to be married to a Dave, who liked Bob Dylan, so she was a little confused by why Bob Dylan would want to meet her husband, but she let him in, as Dave was about to come back soon from work. After a few minutes, he realized that it wasn't the right Dave and the right address.

https://www.tonybarrell.com/knocking-crouch-ends-door/

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 08, 2019, 11:15:14 PM
I unironically prefer all of these records to Shot of Love*. I prefer Good as I Been to You and World Gone Wrong to Shot of Love. Even Christmas in the Heart has more moments on it.

*except Knocked Out Loaded, which even I can't defend

World Gone Wrong is straight up one of his best albums

Ant Farm Keyboard

"Blood in my Eyes" is chilling.