Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:40:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cuisine Gamechangers

Started by Jittlebags, June 04, 2019, 01:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jittlebags

1kg bags of dried fried onions.

Sausage and mash, pork gravy (bisto) + dried fried onions. I rest my case.

What's your foodie game changer?

hummingofevil

Quote from: Jittlebags on June 04, 2019, 01:02:47 AM
1kg bags of dried fried onions.

Sausage and mash, pork gravy (bisto) + dried fried onions. I rest my case.

What's your foodie game changer?

Mushroom Ketchup. Few dabs in the pan just before serving your fried breakfast products. Yum.

Rizla

It's dryroasting the lentils before making the dhal. I've fucking told you this already, don't you LISTEN? This is why BREXITS HAPPEN

Sherringford Hovis

I fuckin' love dried onions, but a kilo? Jesus tap-dancing Christ. A 200g tub lasts me a month.

This is like one o' them drinking threads where I'm simultaneously alarmed and impressed by CaBbers' appetites.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I fry my own onions, thankyou.

Twed

Whoa calm down there Whistlestop Cafe

Rizla

In Graham Chapman's autobiography he describes someone ordering a 3-egg omelette (in NZ I think) and receiving a big omelette topped with 3 fried eggs, and it's disgusting, but I reckon you could sell that. So how about a ham'n'bacon sandwich? Or a fish finger and tuna bake? Come on mumsnetters, can you think of any more lol :-)?

Icehaven

I ate some processed frozen sub-Findus crap during my time at Uni but I always resisted the Chip Topped Chicken Curry. There was just some combination of desolation and rock-bottomness evoked by the awful picture on the box and the fact it cost about 99p that whispered "As long as you don't sink this low, you're alright". In reality of course it was probably no worse than any other frozen ready meal, but the thought of choosing to not only have chips and rice on the same plate, but frozen then microwaved chips and rice with a thin layer of watery curry inbetween just smacked of total resignation. Bet it was nice though.

Buelligan

Quote from: Rizla on June 04, 2019, 01:44:45 AM
In Graham Chapman's autobiography he describes someone ordering a 3-egg omelette (in NZ I think) and receiving a big omelette topped with 3 fried eggs, and it's disgusting, but I reckon you could sell that. So how about a ham'n'bacon sandwich? Or a fish finger and tuna bake? Come on mumsnetters, can you think of any more lol :-)?

I went to dinner at a big Dutchman's house.  He knew I was a vegetarian, so made me a special, fucking enormous, very wet omelette filled with dead prawns.  I mean, prawns and eggs anyway, wet, vegetarian.  Get to fuck.

poo

biggytitbo

I discovered tumeric in 2017 and haven't looked back since.

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 04, 2019, 07:57:31 AM
I discovered tumeric in 2017 and haven't looked back since.

It blinded then deformed you?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The food in the Hesse region of Germany is excessively pickled, acidic cold food from jars. It was a game changer in the sense that I had been perfectly fine, then later that evening I shat and shat and shat. You wouldn't have seen anything like it.

Next time Hesse, take your vinegars and your pickled growths and your cold suspicious sausages and get them up your tract on the diag you fucking bumpkins.

Clownbaby

Preserved lemons make everything taste posh

Whack a teaspoon of Marmite into a chilli con carne, good for adding richness if you're making a vegetarian one as well

Putting Mezita Jalapeños in brine into most dishes

Switching from tuna in brine to tuna in sunflower oil for my sandwiches

bgmnts

Chucking in massala powder into instant noodles. Stratospheric.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Clownbaby on June 04, 2019, 09:19:22 AM
Whack a teaspoon of Marmite into a chilli con carne, good for adding richness if you're making a vegetarian one as well

A tablespoon of black treakle and some fresh corrriander in the last 5 minutes is a game changer.

Jittlebags

I suspect that chilli and prawn paste might be a potential gamechanger. Maybe as a thin fishy, salty layer supporting bechamel and cheese in a welsh rarebit? Or painted onto lasagne sheets ?

Ferris

Smoked paprika in everything.

Fenugreek in everything.

Sesame oil in most things.

Jittlebags

Quote from: Buelligan on June 04, 2019, 07:42:00 AM
I went to dinner at a big Dutchman's house.  He knew I was a vegetarian, so made me a special, fucking enormous, very wet omelette filled with dead prawns.  I mean, prawns and eggs anyway, wet, vegetarian.  Get to fuck.

Was this a big Dutchman or a big house ? Or maybe, if he was a big Dutchman, he'd probably have a big house anyway.

pancreas

Started using anchovy paste instead of salt.

Ferris

Oh yeah, I made a huge batch of "curry gravy" which is like a base sauce of spice and vegetables and am storing it in the freezer. Now if I fancy knocking up a Korma or Dopiaza, I just have to start with the base and go from there. It's been great.

My cast iron skillet has also been a game-changer for frying flatbreads (my roti are spectacular).

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Jittlebags on June 04, 2019, 11:40:57 AM
Was this a big Dutchman or a big house ? Or maybe, if he was a big Dutchman, he'd probably have a big house anyway.

It 's a good job he invited yer woman round to his gaff, and not suggested they go to a restaurant together. ' Cos then poor old Buellers would have had to pay for her half of the meal.

That's right

He would have suggested they both pay for what they'd both eaten !!!!!! 😀

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Aw,  bollocks, I messed that up.

I meant to put " He would have suggested they 'Go Dutch' !!!!

I'm sorry.

Buelligan

Quote from: Jittlebags on June 04, 2019, 11:40:57 AM

The last one.  Terrible painful memory.

On a happier note, sushi vinegar splashed over stemed vegetables or simple dishes like bulghur wheat and tender young beans, maybe with an added sprinkle of kecap manis on the wheat dish, is awfully good.

Buelligan

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 04, 2019, 11:47:59 AM
Aw,  bollocks, I messed that up.

I meant to put " He would have suggested they 'Go Dutch' !!!!

I'm sorry.

It was very good Lisa, don't trouble yourself.

pancreas

May I take this conversation in a slightly different direction?

PRESSURE COOKER

Buelligan

I have some vintage ones but never use them, vegetarian, see?

pancreas

Quote from: Buelligan on June 04, 2019, 11:52:43 AM
I have some vintage ones but never use them, vegetarian, see?

I thought vegetarians ate chickpeas, or are you telling me they are made from chicken?