Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:30:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

So, now I'm playing through Final Fantasy X

Started by Cerys, June 04, 2019, 02:37:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

Wakka is annoying, and yet... it's John Di Maggio and so I don't mind so much because you can hear that element of Bender.

Cerys

I don't find Wakka annoying - mostly because I'm too busy yelling 'TWAT!' at Tidus.

Poobum

Quote from: Consignia on August 19, 2019, 09:43:07 PM
Some of the FFVIII characters have been voiced though, so you can find out. Check out either Dissidia series or Kingdom Hearts early installments.

Fake Edit: https://youtu.be/FfjX-VhyzFA?t=116 For a nasty looking feather.

Thanks but don't like it. So Squall has the voice of a 35yo, also he pronounced Ultimecia wrong.

Also what I'm liking less and less in these games is that to qualify as the older grizzled character means being in your early thirties. Can't quite put my finger on why this has only started to bother me twenty years later since first playing them.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Poobum on August 20, 2019, 10:09:33 AMAlso what I'm liking less and less in these games is that to qualify as the older grizzled character means being in your early thirties. Can't quite put my finger on why this has only started to bother me twenty years later since first playing them.
Yeah, was a bit jarring when I replayed FF7 a year or two ago and realised I'm a few years older than Cid is supposed to be.

bgmnts

Game has genuinely just shit the bed.

On the third Seymour boss fight and its just dreadful. Literally no strategy to implement here, just go back and grind the fuck out of the sphere until I am somehow able to resist his insane attacks in the ridiculous amount of turns.

First time in the game i've had to do that. Dont know why here but shit game design. You should never have to grind, ever.

Bazooka

Quote from: bgmnts on January 28, 2020, 09:30:14 PM

On the third Seymour boss fight and its just dreadful. Literally no strategy to implement here, just go back and grind the fuck out of the sphere until I am somehow able to resist his insane attacks in the ridiculous amount of turns.

First time in the game i've had to do that. Dont know why here but shit game design. You should never have to grind, ever.

If you put all the XP together in a line that I've grinded over the decades you could travel to..  a fucking long long way.

Cerys

Is that the one at the top of Mt Gagazet?  Because oddly enough I found it easier this time around than in normal runs.

Jim Bob

This is the same reason that I've never completed Final Fantasy VI.  Every time that I try, every time I hit the same brick wall, at exactly the same boss (at around the 1/3rd of the way through the game).  I'm not willing to spend hours grinding.  Why should I have to?

bgmnts

Quote from: Cerys on January 29, 2020, 01:12:29 AM
Is that the one at the top of Mt Gagazet?  Because oddly enough I found it easier this time around than in normal runs.

Yeah. I uninstalled the game in a huff because I literally cannot beat him without grinding and fuck that.

FFVIII had it right.

Thursday

Final Fantasy X's whole thing of people living as "unsent's" is really stupid.

I mean it basically means Yuna is the biggest murderer of them all.

Phil_A

That's exactly what happened to me first time I played through properly, hit a complete brick wall with that fight.

My problem was I was playing using the "International" Sphere Grid which lets you break the standard character builds and give your guys all kinds of wacky abilities they wouldn't normally have access to, but it also meant I ended up at a very late stage in the game missing a load of abilities that happen to be essential right at that very moment. And I was fucked if I was going to go back and grind for hours till I'd learnt them all.

bgmnts

Indeed. I think I have gone traditional even with the remastered sphere grid. Still, fucking shite boss fight fuck you Final Fantasy X. If there was any game that needs a respec option, even if it costs a million gil, its this.

However, to its credit, the sphere grid is the best levelling system ever. Its like the inventory management in RE4,the suitcase. I would happily spend hours in it.

Thursday

Oh god I'm getting flashbacks now, because I was thinking "hmm I remember most Seymour encounters being surprisingly easy" but that one is coming back to me now. Must have repressed it.

Don't know if they might have since sorted this, but it was an unskippable cutscene just before it. Absolutely interminable

SEYMOUR!

bgmnts

They haven't fixed it, no.

And obviously, lets face it, most video games are poorly written and FFX is especially shit and the voice acting is terrible. Not in the good way that Resident Evil is but just everything sounds slightly wrong. In having a look at strategies to beat this cunt I saw so many threads about how this is their favourote FF because the story and characters are amazing and I just thought "what the fuck?". It'a dreadful.

Bazooka

And fucking unskipable summon animations, if someone were to say to me "Japanese people are evil"", I would say bollocks, they have always been lovely when I've been to Japan. However tell me that after watching Yuna summon Valefor for 100 hours of my life, and I'd change my views.

Cloud

Fuck you this is my favourite joint with VII.

But yeah those cutscenes.... oh god..... when you lose a boss battle (HIM or HER, you know who I'm talking about) and have to sit through 10 minutes of unskippable drivel again.  SPIRA IS A LAND OF SUFFERING AND SORROW CAUGHT IN A SPIRAL OF FUCK OFF

bgmnts

Quote from: Bazooka on January 29, 2020, 11:18:17 PM
And fucking unskipable summon animations, if someone were to say to me "Japanese people are evil"", I would say bollocks, they have always been lovely when I've been to Japan. However tell me that after watching Yuna summon Valefor for 100 hours of my life, and I'd change my views.

FFVIII is even worse for this.

Oh you have a time limit to finish the Fire Cavern and leave Dollet or its GAME OVER yeah? Oh, GFs are mostly required to get through it? Oh, they take about 20 seconds apiece to go through their fucking animations? Enjoy, cunt.

bgmnts

Okay I have every character and every Aeon overdrived. That COULD be enough to dick this Guado wanker.

I'm going to get some more abilities and stat level up to be sure. Oh and I hope Yojimbo gets Aeon cancer, the greedy little cunt.

Jim Bob

Quote from: bgmnts on January 29, 2020, 11:38:14 PM
FFVIII is even worse for this.

Oh you have a time limit to finish the Fire Cavern and leave Dollet or its GAME OVER yeah? Oh, GFs are mostly required to get through it? Oh, they take about 20 seconds apiece to go through their fucking animations? Enjoy, cunt.

At least VIII had the boost for the summons, which gives the player something to do whilst watching the same animations over and over again.

bgmnts

YES YES YES YES YES YES FUCK YOU SEYMOUR CUNT YES

Urinal Cake

You could play FFVIII with minimal summons- just spam limit breaks or whatever.

Cerys

Which is what I did on my most recent playthrough.  Gave up when I realised that I'd be shafted if I tried to beat up that red dragon with Laguna etc and no item use.

bgmnts

Now another boss which just seems impossible despite all that levelling I did. Every single faq is suggesting lots of items and skills i just do not have. Have I been playing the game wrong? Are my characters levelling really slowly due to something I need to fix? Frustrating as fuck.

gmoney

I don't remember having to do much grinding for most of FFX to be honest, but I still have never beaten the last boss, because the fight's a load of shit.

Thursday

Isn't easy because you can't die?

Quote from: bgmnts on January 30, 2020, 06:58:34 PM
Now another boss which just seems impossible despite all that levelling I did. Every single faq is suggesting lots of items and skills i just do not have. Have I been playing the game wrong? Are my characters levelling really slowly due to something I need to fix? Frustrating as fuck.

Any time, I looks at a guide for a JRPG, it always seems to assume you're a boring twat who does 10 hour grinds every single area, and pursues every single optional sidequest, so you have all the max op items and you've levelled them up... in which case, you wouldn't need a guide because you'd already be overpowered.

kidney

Quote from: bgmnts on January 30, 2020, 06:58:34 PM

I'm going to guess... Sanctuary Keeper?

bgmnts

Cerys

Luckily there are some enemies nearby that carry items you can use to become zombie proof.  Just don't proof all your characters.  I can't remember why - just that it turned out to be a bad idea.

Mister Six

Only thing I liked about FFX was calling my character "Bumducks" and then laughing heartily whenever I loaded it.

I remember just trudging to shrine after shrine after shrine and thinking "Fuck this - I was out of Midgar at this point in FFVII" and never playing it again. Probably wildly overestimating the equivalent FFVII progress there, but fuck me the opening to X is so tedious and interminable.