Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:25:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Help me find an early Dire Straits song with the 'really good guitar riff'

Started by hedgehog90, June 04, 2019, 11:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hedgehog90

This guy I know, Pete - well, he's sort of my granddad but not biologically, he hooked up with my nan in the 70s, so we just call him Pete (I assumed everyone had a Pete when I was little*) - this Pete fella asked me to illegally download and burn a CD of the first Dire Straits album for him because - according to someone who played him a particular track from it during a recent trip to Connecticut (I don't know his name, sorry) - it had a dead good song on it with a killer guitar riff.
I got the impression it was more like a long guitar solo than a riff though.
Anyway, I burnt him their s/t debut record, but he came back to me a few weeks later and told me it didn't have the riff on it. In fact, it was some of the worst music he'd ever listened to (he didn't say this but I could tell he was very disappointed with it)
This was like 6 months ago and I didn't continue looking for Knopfler's riff because I'm really not a fan of Dire Straits. I really like Pete but I won't put myself through such an ordeal.
I haven't thought about it since, but this morning I got a text from Pete and he's still yearning for this riff.
Help me find this song with the riff because I can't be bothered.

* In my second year of primary school my favourite teacher, Mrs Bush, was going through all the names we have for family and relatives, she went through them all and wrote them on the whiteboard - mum, dad, brother, sister, cousin, grandmother, grandfather - and I must have been like 'yo, what about Pete?' and I explained to her I had a Pete, so on the board she added 'Pete', which affirmed my belief at the time that most people had a Pete.

Ferris

If it isn't Sultans of Swing or Brothers in Arms then I can't help you.

You could try those two though. They both have riffs and solos and that.

Its not Money For Nothing is it. That would match up with the word riff.

daf

Long shot here, but could it be Knopfler's "Going Home" theme to Local Hero?

skip to the good bit  (. . . which is actually mainly played on saxophone - I said it was a long shot!)

daf

The Culture Bunker

The only Dire Straits song I can abide is "Romeo and Juliet", so I'll add that.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 04, 2019, 01:38:06 PM
let's all just fucking watch this anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTP2RUD_cL0
fuckin ace

True story - I was 5/6 when this came out and for years I wondered why BA and Murdock from the A-Team were working as removal men, but then reasoned (logically, I think you'll have to agree) that it was their only source of proper income given that they typically didn't bother collecting what they were owed when rescuing an attractive woman, cute child or poor latino type from the bad men.

hedgehog90

Quote from: daf on June 04, 2019, 12:38:24 PM
Some more wild stabs in the dark :

(Communique - 1979)
Lady Writer

I reckon this is probably it, thanks.
Makes sense it would be on the second album.

btw the lyrics to this are great:

QuoteLady writer on the TV
Talking about the Virgin Mary
Yeah you know I'm talking about you and me
And the lady writer on the TV
Lady writer on the TV
Talking about the Virgin Mary
Yeah you know I'm talking about you and me
And the lady writer on the TV

Are most of Knopfler's songs based on whatever random bollocks he saw on telly the night before?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: hedgehog90 on June 04, 2019, 03:05:28 PM
Are most of Knopfler's songs based on whatever random bollocks he saw on telly the night before?

My favourite song of his is Cassandra's Miscarriage Made Delboy Fall Through the Bar.

Glebe

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 04, 2019, 11:42:04 AMIf it isn't Sultans of Swing or Brothers in Arms then I can't help you.

Those (and, let's be honest 'Money for Nothing') are crackers (I have a particular nostalgia for 'Sultuns')... Knopfler's beautiful 'The Long Road', from his soundtrack to the film Cal, is worth a mention.

MidnightShambler

I've never owned a Dire Straits album and never really taken any notice of them but I must have heard that song, and seen that video, thousands of times and that's the very first time I've ever noticed the verse about 'faggots with earrings'.

I'm old enough to remember the days when that wouldn't have been bleeped or muted out on the radio or telly either, why have I never heard that before???

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: MidnightShambler on June 04, 2019, 03:44:02 PM
I've never owned a Dire Straits album and never really taken any notice of them but I must have heard that song, and seen that video, thousands of times and that's the very first time I've ever noticed the verse about 'faggots with earrings'.

I'm old enough to remember the days when that wouldn't have been bleeped or muted out on the radio or telly either, why have I never heard that before???
I think in recent times, they play an edited version missing that line.

daf

Quote from: MidnightShambler on June 04, 2019, 03:44:02 PM
why have I never heard that before???

It's likely they never played that version on the radio or TV.

As Darles mentioned, it was edited for the 7" version (which the radio would have used), and it's also cut from the video when it was played on Top of the Pops (8 august 1985).

So, unless you had the album, you wouldn't have heard it. #

Not a bad thing - as it takes ages to get to the best bit * as it is!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
# (Was that bit edited from the LP version? The CD and cassette lists it as being 8:26, while the LP is 7:04)
* Sting's 'Dont Stand so Close to Me' harmony line

PaulTMA

If Knopfler wanted to snub the Hall Of Fame in style, he should have just got up to play just Les Boys and then fucked immediately after

TheMonk

Quote from: PaulTMA on June 04, 2019, 05:01:29 PM
If Knopfler wanted to snub the Hall Of Fame in style, he should have just got up to play just Les Boys and then fucked immediately after
Fucked John Illsley?

bgmnts

Sultans of Swing, Six Blade Knife or Money for Nothing I guess would be the three?