Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:18:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Vampire: The Masquerade – Coteries of New York

Started by St_Eddie, June 05, 2019, 03:44:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Mister Six

From that article:

QuoteDraw Distance's Vampire: The Masquerade – Coteries of New York is a new RPG that will be hitting PC and the Nintendo Switch later this year, and will use the 5th Edition rules of Vampire: The Masquerade.

There's not much to go on in terms of just what the game will be like, but is billed as a "unique, atmospheric, single-player narrative experience".

You play as a newly-fledged vampire in New York. You have to learn what it means to be one of the Kindred in a huge, vibrant, contemporary metropolis. On your way you'll meet different NPCs – other vampires, thin-bloods, ghouls, humans... and more. You will perform tasks that will put test your humanity and take part in a complex and often brutal struggle for power between the Camarilla and the Anarchs.

Was this the edition that removed a bunch of clans? If so that sounds a bit limiting. Interested to know how the rights work, given Bloodlines is being made by someone else. Different rights for different editions?

VelourSpirit

That's three VTM games announced now! It says this is an RPG but this sort of suggests otherwise:

QuoteThink interactive story meets choices-that-matter; dark, atmospheric, emotional narration meets Telltale-like way of creating morally challenging dilemmas

Could be good though. The other game announced has also been described as a 'narrative RPG' - I'd assumed they meant it was going to be similar to Bloodlines but looking at their previous game 'The Council' it seems more like a Telltale-ish thing as well.
I dunno, I guess 'role-playing game' could really mean anything but to me it's always implied a certain level of scale and freedom. I'd have never considered Telltale games or Life is Strange to be RPGs. It's still great that they're branching out and realising VTM's potential.

Zetetic

Quote from: TwinPeaks on June 05, 2019, 07:50:12 PM
I dunno, I guess 'role-playing game' could really mean anything but to me it's always implied a certain level of scale and freedom.
And systems, maybe, at least on computers, even if they're very loose ones?

The Council had explicit levelling and skills, which interacted with the more Choose-Your-Own-Adventure bits. (As they would in the conversational bits of more obvious examples of RPGs.)

(Edit: Which I suppose opens up the question of whether it's really a 'system' if it's all tied up with predetermined paths, but, eh.)

Mister Six

Quote from: TwinPeaks on June 05, 2019, 07:50:12 PM
That's three VTM games announced now! It says this is an RPG but this sort of suggests otherwise

Crikey, had no idea there was a third one.

madhair60

More like Vampire the mass saturation of a cult IP destined to ultimately lead to financial ruin

St_Eddie

Quote from: madhair60 on June 06, 2019, 09:43:19 AM
More like Vampire the mass saturation of a cult IP destined to ultimately lead to financial ruin

They dropped that title because it was deemed to be a tad unwieldy.

VelourSpirit

Quote from: Mister Six on June 06, 2019, 03:51:46 AM
Crikey, had no idea there was a third one.

Plus a Werewolf: The Apocalypse third person RPG... which has vampires in it.

St_Eddie

Wherever the werewolf does go, the vampire does follow.

VelourSpirit

There's some new character pics on the developer's twitter page https://twitter.com/DrawDistanceDev
Really nice art, I'm quite excited for this

Norton Canes

Any idea who the artist is? Doesn't seem to be credited on the Twitter.

shh

A new Switch game that isn't based on pixel art? I'll believe it when I see it.

Silly title, I think there was a Wes Anderson-parody-horror-film trailer called the Coterie of Midnight Intruders.