Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:04:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shitstains wiping excrement on political threads just before elections

Started by Absorb the anus burn, June 05, 2019, 12:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pdine

I've stopped engaging with these threads because I don't find them entertaining, and I think that's because it gets tedious to see irreconcilable worldviews constantly slammed together with no sparks of incite insight resulting. I'm not sure it's the fault of the posters here, either the left-leaning majority, the minority of eager rightists or Biggy, who is just mental. I think it's because we expect too much of discourse. The post-war consensus over internationalism and multiculturalism has begun to dissolve, with the result that we can no longer rely on even a common set of basic assumptions. Without those, you can't get far with more derived, complex conceptual discussion as most political discourse involves.

As a result I suppose I'd maybe recommend steering clear of the 'Trump / Corbyn / May / Brexit' threads as they are doomed to be joyless dryhump sessions with no issue. Instead, I think it would be useful to talk about these underlying assumptions. If people don't engage with these more fundamental, less topical discussions, I think it shows they're more keen on arguing than thinking, and we can safely ignore/ban them/us/me/Biggy (who is just mental). 

pancreas

I agree there's no use engaging with a handful of posters like Twatson or biggy or Walnuts or that brainless cake thing. But there is with everyone else on almost any topic.

Please formulate a 'more fundamental' question. I'm happy to talk about that as well as, for example, Rebecca Long-Bailey's performance at PMQs, which was rather good, actually.

Johnny Yesno

Cuellar

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 06, 2019, 09:02:51 AM

I think it's perfectly reasonable to have political threads on here that people can choose to participate in, but then demand that they must be conducted exactly as they want and that everyone must agree with them or they should be banned. That's entirely normal and not unhinged.

You need to ask yourself why you always end up defending racists and other bigots.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 06, 2019, 09:44:27 AM
Hmmmmm....didn't Biggy's buddy Tommy specifically use the phrase "the mental illness known as Trans " in the Katie Hopkins thread? If he'd used it in 'Oscillations", he could have been referring to that crap Neil Young album, I suppose.
Anyway, didn't Neil ban someone (think it was manticore ) for making hateful, bigoted reference to yer transgender types? Just sayin'.

"Report to moderator"

For fucks sake.

I've banned him as some people did actually bother to report it.

I've also banned shoulders for continually and purposely shitting up threads and wasting forum resources. He really needs to get over himself.

I'm really in a lot of pain and think this was a huge load of bollocks. The way to deal with trolls is to report them using the facility, you don't get to bully me into banning people by deliberately making threads more unreadable for everyone else.

Stop replying - if you don't, then it's clear that you actually love to do so, so stop pretending otherwise.

Barry Admin

I'm going to tentatively reopen this thread, although I've hardly slept in days, and am worried I might lose my temper and such - if I lock it again, that's why. I don't want to shout and swear at people, but surgery and heavy painkillers makes you very short-tempered, as I've found myself with my Mum's recent hip ops.

The basic point I want to make is that I'm a stubborn cunt, and you'll just have to bear with me at times - any attempt at trying to get me to do things I don't want to do will likely backfire and make me bunker down. That's just how I am. 

I haven't been able to get on here much, and this Tommy bloke was posting in threads I can't be bothered following, given they're the sort of threads I don't even like and wish weren't a mainstay here. So I was trying to tell people to just calm down and let me assess the situation myself, and that never happened.

What I fiercely object to are (what I perceive as) attempts to make/manipulate me into taking action. Generally this involves making threads like this one, publicly threatening to flounce, and just basically ordering me about. One poster in particular was banned because of his campaign - it's really rude to follow me round unrelated threads making demands that I engage in moderation. It's ALSO SELF-DEFEATING, because as I say, I'm a stubborn cunt, and will only do what I think is right, I don't want to be cajoled into doing shit against my will, and I don't want to be carried along by force of numbers.

Look at this:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,71971.msg3841817.html#msg3841817
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,73301.msg3841353.html#msg3841353
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,72734.msg3849926.html#msg3849926

And he's also tried to come back with this account, obviously to make some kind of point about my moderation, and/or engage in more passive-aggressive bullshit, whatever.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=21553

Sorry, but totally unacceptable. Just unfair and quite hateful behaviour, in my opinion. Imagine coming on here trying to find something to read, and finding yourself followed through threads in this manner, with someone barking at you about how you should be running your own site.

Note also that I was specifically told that the people threatening to flounce should "focus my mind" to start doing what they want me to do...! Again, no. Threatening to flounce does NOT make me panic and think I should take action, it is NOT effective and will likely do more harm than good.

I feel like we've been here before and will again, but just wanted to get this off my chest, and try to impress on some users that "trolls" would likely be quicker dealt with if there was at least an attempt at actually ignoring them, because making a big fuss over them makes it harder for me to see what's actually going on. And I'm sorry, but some posters on here are VERY quick to jump the gun and start talking about "paid stooges" and whatnot.

Alberon

Sorry you had to go a bit Old Testament God a bit.

Ignoring trolls is the best policy, one I admit to struggle with. I used to have great fun back in the day arguing with creationists on Usenet.

Hopefully this thread isn't needed anymore and can be left to sink. After we've all said sorry to Neil. You shouldn't have to deal with this shit on top of everything.

Buelligan

I'm sorry because, as I've already admitted in at least one earlier thread, I was the one who rose to the bait first, like the egotistical arsehole I am.  So sorry Neil and everyone, for feeding that person, I have no excuse but I will try hard to learn.

imitationleather

I'd just like to say that when I said I was thinking about going it wasn't to try and coerce anyone, and I was a bit embarrassed that it then got brought up again the next day. When I said it I was just feeling particularly frustrated and down about stuff, and having Tommy Robwatson spilling his shit over to yet another thread (in that case the TINGE one, which until then had been pretty lighthearted and enjoyable) really pissed me off and I reacted. Regretted it and wanted to take it back almost instantly as I'm aware it's not a good look, and I also know that acting like that isn't the best way to behave under the circumstances.

Hope you feel better soon, Barry.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Alberon on June 10, 2019, 12:17:36 PM
Sorry you had to go a bit Old Testament God a bit.

Ignoring trolls is the best policy, one I admit to struggle with. I used to have great fun back in the day arguing with creationists on Usenet.

Hopefully this thread isn't needed anymore and can be left to sink. After we've all said sorry to Neil. You shouldn't have to deal with this shit on top of everything.

I don't expect that at all, and feel I owe an apology myself for being sweary and ranty - or sweaty and randy as my phone's auto-complete insists. I justs want to try and explain how much this stuff annoys me.

I don't like to talk about a banned member as they can't defend themselves, but I guess I want to try and stop anyone else calling my bluff. There was another example in Oscillations recently:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,72724.0.html
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,72725.0.html

'Ban me or I'll keep reposting this thread' - okay, banned him without a second thought. Was busy looking after my mum and had other stuff on my mind. All completely needless, and a different approach would have borne very different fruit, but there was a self-defeating "fuck the mod, I do what I want" vibe right from the start.

I know I'm not too communicative a lot of the time, about personal stuff, and I just clam up, so just take it as read that I do my best here, I really do. It's not even just that I'm stubborn, I'm also principled and want to feel confident I'm making the right choices, rather than just giving the squeaky wheels attention. So you just have to bear with me; I can be slow and slothful, but I do take things seriously and get them done at my own pace.

Pingers

Personally, I love the straightforward moderating style - I thought banning Shoulders for being a "pompous cunt" was very funny and it will do him good to find summat else to do for a bit, although I hope he has a think, apologises and agrees to come back at a later date. I regret replying to the troll, will do better in future.

Barry Admin

Quote from: imitationleather on June 10, 2019, 12:24:00 PM
I'd just like to say that when I said I was thinking about going it wasn't to try and coerce anyone, and I was a bit embarrassed that it then got brought up again the next day. When I said it I was just feeling particularly frustrated and down about stuff, and having Tommy Robwatson spilling his shit over to yet another thread (in that case the TINGE one, which until then had been pretty lighthearted and enjoyable) just really pissed me off and I reacted. Regretted it and wanted to take it back almost instantly as I'm aware it's not a good look, and I also know that acting like that isn't the best way to behave under the circumstances.

Hope you feel better soon, Barry.

Thanks! And I'm glad you posted, as I obviously had you partly in mind, but didn't want to directly drag you into it. But you can see, I hope, that the way I was told your threat of flouncing should "focus my mind" illustrates what I'm talking about.

It does often feel like a lot of the moaning from folks is there largely to spur me into action, and I'd probably do the same in your place.

So - this is important and hopefully communicates my main point - the weird thing is I can personally easily tune out one rogue dickhead... it's the response to them I find so frustrating, and that's because - as mentioned - a lot of it seems basically directed at me. And at times it is, explicitly so.

Anyway cheers, thanks again for posting.

gib

Barry, what would happen to this place if you became seriously ill or died? Please forgive my bluntness.

alan nagsworth

I sort of feel bad for appearing as though I was trying to police Oscillations now. I know my views on it are aligned with yours, Neil, but apologies nonetheless for coming across like a control freak.

I will always love this community and seeing as I never read politics discussion on here I can say that recently I've really started enjoying posting in GB more again. This place is ace, you made it and for the most part it's brilliant and engaging and funny. So cheers.

ZoyzaSorris

I'm just upset Tommy R was banned just in time for the Brexit Party to lose on Thursday. I mean obviously he probably would have fucked off with his tail between his legs anyway but would have been fun to see him making a tit of himself just before the reality dawned.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Pingers on June 10, 2019, 12:35:15 PM
I thought banning Shoulders for being a "pompous cunt" was very funny

Agreeing with this is my only opinion on the whole shebang.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Buelligan on June 10, 2019, 12:22:34 PM
I'm sorry because, as I've already admitted in at least one earlier thread, I was the one who rose to the bait first, like the egotistical arsehole I am.  So sorry Neil and everyone, for feeding that person, I have no excuse but I will try hard to learn.

Ah don't worry, plenty replied, and I have to just accept that we're easily riled as a community. In this instance I wasn't able to deal with the bloke because of health issues and stuff, but in general I don't give people like that nearly as much leeway these days. Just bad timing.

If I'm honest though, I do sometimes find myself wondering if people actually really enjoy fighting with these twats, deep down. And enjoy giving off about them and such.

Noonling

I threaten to flounce if the CaB background isn't changed to a photo of a Maine Coon.

pancreas

There is a bit of a problem here, Barry. You admit you don't tend to go into certain threads, yet these were precisely the ones which were being targeted. So some of us were much more affected by the aggravation than you were. We could flood you with Report to Moderator things to register our discomfort, but I don't know if you'd take that as an attempt at back-seat moderation as well. The fact remains that he ruined many pages of several threads, and there's no amount of telling people not to engage that will help; it never has in the past and I don't see any reason to suppose it would in the future. And I say this as someone who is largely capable of ignoring people---which I did, after a first fleeting engagement---but seeing that cunt going on about democracy coming home was still making me angry enough to kill things.

I'm not defending Shoulders, btw, and it is very stupid for him to try to sneak back in under another handle.

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 10, 2019, 12:54:24 PM
Ah don't worry, plenty replied, and I have to just accept that we're easily riled as a community. In this instance I wasn't able to deal with the bloke because of health issues and stuff, but in general I don't give people like that nearly as much leeway these days. Just bad timing.

I know you've talked about having another mod before ... it might take the pressure off a bit. What about Cerys or Zetetic?

QuoteIf I'm honest though, I do sometimes find myself wondering if people actually really enjoy fighting with these twats, deep down. And enjoy giving off about them and such.

A little bit they do, yes. That one was Aids-tier, though. It was like fighting with Aids.

Barry Admin

Quote from: gib on June 10, 2019, 12:45:28 PM
Barry, what would happen to this place if you became seriously ill or died? Please forgive my bluntness.

Let's not find out :-)

Barry Admin

QuoteThere is a bit of a problem here, Barry. You admit you don't tend to go into certain threads, yet these were precisely the ones which were being targeted. So some of us were much more affected by the aggravation than you were. We could flood you with Report to Moderator things to register our discomfort, but I don't know if you'd take that as an attempt at back-seat moderation as well.

I don't like to keep up with those threads, but do dip in and out anyway.

When I'm aware there's a possible twat about, I will put a lot of time and energy into reading the threads and seeing what's going on. You may recall that I spent months and months reading Corbyn threads during TFM's tenure, for instance.

I wasn't able to do that this time because of getting surgery and other stuff going on, so it was bad timing, as I say. The last month or two has been a bit of a blur.

But yeah, even though I'm not as chatty or visibly present as a lot of the regulars, you can bet I'll be aware of what's going on. One or two posters do always use the "report to moderator" function, for starters.

Danger Man

Quote from: Pingers on June 10, 2019, 12:35:15 PM
I thought banning Shoulders for being a "pompous cunt" was very accurate

FTFY.

When somebody (me) posted an opinion poll and his response was 'You're an alcoholic' he'd become as much of a political troll as those he claimed to despise!

He needs some time to clear his head.

Gotta say I love the guy Shoulders but I swerve the politics threads because they make me hate almost everyone on here more than I already do, which is an absolute lot. Gotta be honest. Still a few S+ tier heads about though which is why I keep doing what I do, which is entertaining people and bringing some fun and inspiration into their lifes. Take the recent thread GGC - Gotta go crap. I've been changing minds here for over fifteen years and counting and I won't stop til I drop. Hard to see a way forward in this world we all have to live in besides changing the world or sucking on a 0.367 Magnum and that's not even legal in this country. Too many cunts to end before I do that, anyway, I always tell myself. Great chat and see ya 'round'!

Barry Admin

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on June 10, 2019, 12:47:09 PM
I'm just upset Tommy R was banned just in time for the Brexit Party to lose on Thursday. I mean obviously he probably would have fucked off with his tail between his legs anyway but would have been fun to see him making a tit of himself just before the reality dawned.

Yeah I'd have liked to have waited till after the results, just to see what happened either way. But while this was going on I had another banned member repeatedly signing up and being a twat, again, and I just snapped and had enough of it all.

As Space Ghost said, it's actually difficult to keep people away these days, regardless of IP bans etc. That's another reason I tend to wait and see what's going on, whether I can suss out who they are etc.

But conversely, as I say, I'm also quicker to ban people in general these days.

People are obviously totally entitled to be annoyed with how I run the place, and I love that people are still passionate about it, but it's hard work, and I am trying to do my best.

poo

Ah, so that's what happened to Shoulders. Dunno why people waste their lives in those threads when they could be spending time discussing knobs going in and out and that.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 10, 2019, 01:23:10 PM
But conversely, as I say, I'm also quicker to ban people in general these days.

People are obviously totally entitled to be annoyed with how I run the place, and I love that people are still passionate about it, but it's hard work, and I am trying to do my best.

You say that, but I've been a member of PLENTY of forums where the BAN button gets hit MUCH quicker and for MUCH smaller crimes and without warning.

You're doing a bang-up job, Neil.  There is no need to change your moderation style.

poo

Shoulders, can you apologise and beg forgiveness because you're needed in the cricket thread.