Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:10:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shitstains wiping excrement on political threads just before elections

Started by Absorb the anus burn, June 05, 2019, 12:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

Quote from: Danger Man on June 10, 2019, 01:10:23 PM
FTFY.
I have managed to deduce that FTFY in this context means "Fixed this for you"...but I was under the impression that FTFY means "fuck this, fuck you"? Am I going mad?

Alberon

I've only known the former, but rest assured, any time I use it with you in the future I'll mean the latter.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Utter Shit on June 10, 2019, 01:39:51 PM
I have managed to deduce that FTFY in this context means "Fixed this for you"...but I was under the impression that FTFY means "fuck this, fuck you"? Am I going mad?

Generally the former, but I have known it to be used for the latter as well. 

Paul Calf

I've never heard of it standing for 'Fuck this, fuck you' and moreover, anyone who thinks that it does is stupid and wrong. And a cunt. And a paedo.

zomgmouse

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 10, 2019, 12:09:30 PMLook at this:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,71971.msg3841817.html#msg3841817

That is... incredible.  I'd missed that at the time (I'm 54, life's too short to spend time reading about Tories if I don't really have to).  Words fail.  Definitely a new height in a long career of annoying pomposity.

Get well soon.

Ambient Sheep

Well until Shit Good Nose posted, I was going to say "Yes, yes you are." :-)  I've only ever known it as "Fixed that for you"... or perhaps it seems, "Fixed this for you."

Hence its frequent usage after quoted posts that have either had their words altered and/or (partly) crossed out.

EDIT: Google says I was right the first time:

QuoteFTFY is not a misspelling of "fifty." It stands for "fixed that for you," and is frequently deployed when Redditors fix each others' typos, or amend comments for comedic effect. QFT is not an abbreviation of "queefed." It translates to "quote for truth," and can be used in pretty much the same way as "true that."

(emphasis mine)

and many other similar citations.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I have managed to deduce that FTFY in this context means "Fixed this for you"...but I was under the impression that FTFY means "fuck this, fuck you"? , thick fucking eejit that I am.

FTFY.

imitationleather

I was recently reading through some comments on a YouTube video featuring a cat (a terrifying insight into my life, there) and there was an exchange that went like this:

"This video is from 2013. How is that cat now?"

"It died of cancer."

"Oh. LOL"

"LOL!? Why would you laugh out loud about that?"

"I meant Lots of Love."

How in 2019 can someone get LOL wrong? When it looked as though someone was laughing at the news the cat had died of cancer it was pretty amusing though, I have to say.

imitationleather

jobotic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Buelligan on June 10, 2019, 02:41:02 PM
Fuck you Lisa.

" It's shameless, the way we flirt"- Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes, commenting on the relationship he and Susie Derkins have.

Endicott

I will pedantically note that Urban Dictionary lists both usages, with preference for 'fixed' for sure but perhaps Utter Shit was onto something there. Anyone who disagrees with me can FOAD (another USENET staple).

Paul Calf

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 10, 2019, 02:55:50 PM
" It's shameless, the way we flirt"- Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes, commenting on the relationship he and Susie Derkins have.

hummingofevil

Didn't Rio Ferdinand once post the high five emoji after a terrorist attack thinking it looked like someone praying? Brought a bit of light relief that despite the dozens murdered.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Endicott on June 10, 2019, 03:02:31 PM
I will pedantically note that Urban Dictionary lists both usages, with preference for 'fixed' for sure but perhaps Utter Shit was onto something there. Anyone who disagrees with me can FOAD (another USENET staple).

I might be doing them a bit of disservice (or giving them extra praise - I don't know any more), but I think I've only seen the "fuck this, fuck you" version used by Americans.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 10, 2019, 12:54:24 PM
If I'm honest though, I do sometimes find myself wondering if people actually really enjoy fighting with these twats

I have to admit that I do find it funny on the occasions when they come here purely to upset people and end up getting angry themselves, so guilty as charged on that score. Apologies for that - I do try keep it to a minimum.

I'll echo that your moderation here is fine. It's not unreasonable to expect us to show a bit of self-control and not rise to the twats. I do appreciate you intervening when people post actual hateful shit like Tommeh did, though.

Sorry to hear you've been in a lot of pain. You have my sympathy. I hope it's starting to subside now. I was off work myself last week with back pain and I'm still off. It can make a person a bit terse.

pigamus

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on June 10, 2019, 02:31:24 PM
That is... incredible.  I'd missed that at the time (I'm 54, life's too short to spend time reading about Tories if I don't really have to).  Words fail.  Definitely a new height in a long career of annoying pomposity.

Get well soon.

I was tempted to respond to that at the time, and now I'm glad I didn't. It just gets into shitstirring territory. I did tell him to fuck off the one time and his response was, 'I don't remember having any significant interactions with you', as if he were Princess Margaret or something.

But don't worry, Neil, I'm sure in the fullness of time he will find it within himself to accept your apology.

Morrison Lard

Quote from: pigamus on June 10, 2019, 04:08:54 PM
'I don't remember having any significant interactions with you', as if he were Princess Margaret or something.
CaB often felt like I was trespassing on his own personal fucking blog.

canadagoose

Get well soon, Neil. Hope you can have a bit of a rest from all this forum stress for a bit.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 10, 2019, 01:33:34 PM
You say that, but I've been a member of PLENTY of forums where the BAN button gets hit MUCH quicker and for MUCH smaller crimes and without warning.

You're doing a bang-up job, Neil.  There is no need to change your moderation style.

Agree totally. I don't think Neil gets enough thanks on here for what is my favourite forum on the internet and the only one I post on regularly. I do think we all owe Neil a lot  of thanks for providing a place where we can exchange ideas free of charge and have such s variety of discussions
I say free of charge but one way to say thanks would be to become a gold or silver member.