Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:09:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shitstains wiping excrement on political threads just before elections

Started by Absorb the anus burn, June 05, 2019, 12:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Well, you *could* just imagine the first line being said by Graham Lister , in the way that he says "I know, doctors, dentists and lawyers....", and then imagine him addressing us all as fops, and telling us to stop preening ourselves in self-importance...would that help? Does this new fucking page help?

Alberon

You've done it now. I can only read his stuff in that voice now. But it does help strangely.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 05, 2019, 01:14:43 PM
Bear in mind that pompous cunt Shoulders Stomach has already "warned me" of his desire to make threads unreadable by engaging with that bloke. Anyway excellent fucking stuff, cause me some more stress right after surgery, thanks a lot lads, much appreciated.

Sorry to hear you had to have surgery Neil. Hope it went well.

pancreas

Call us all fucking snowflakes, Barry, tell us we should be able to tolerate other views without losing our shit, whatever. You are completely in the right to do so. But we still need you to ban the cunt. It's not just the things he says, it's the fact that it infects the discourse and makes people lose their temper with each other. It's bad enough having to deal with Biggy and his hateful right-wing slime. Having it in stereo is just intolerable. We won't be losing anything—Twatson doesn't contribute anything positive anywhere. Sorry we're so pathetic, but there it is.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

^ Very true, I have no idea about how attractive he fiinds Her Who Plays Villanelle in 'Killing Eve', or whether or not he rates Menswear. I know he *really* likes his dog, though.

Noonling

I'll big up Brexit if it earns me £££s. Hell, I'll say May was the best Prime Minister ever for some dough. I'll make up my own business cards to give to people:

Noonling
Professional Troll
Experience in UK politics, comedy and gaming. Will tailor opinions to suit your needs.

Imagine all the women who will flock to me at parties when I casually mention my career. It would look great on my CV for any sale or PR job, or politics for that matter.

JUST SHOW ME WHERE TO SIGN.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Oh, wishing you top recovery from the ol' surgery there, Neil.

Space ghost

Some of you seem to think that ridding a forum of a committed troll is as simple as pressing the 'ban button' at CaB HQ and that Neil is simply refusing to do it for whatever reason (probably to annoy you) . It doesn't work like that. They will just re-register, usually within minutes and any measure or block put in place to prevent this can be circumvented in a few minutes more. Usually by (removed).

Trolls want to annoy you, grasp that fact. They want to annoy and upset you and they want to disrupt and create conflict in your community. Arguing with each other about them, arguing with the site admin, making additional threads about them, coming up with 'amusing' responses to them by doing all this you are achieving that goal for them. Very basic stuff.

Cuellar

If I were a troll, having someone respond to everything I said with 'Fuck off' would be incredibly satisfying #justsayin

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cuellar on June 05, 2019, 02:30:38 PM
If I were a troll, having someone respond to everything I said with 'Fuck off' would be incredibly satisfying #justsayin

Pie and a pint?

Cuellar

Space ghost

They are watching the threads they post in like a hawk and there is nothing more annoying for them than watching page after page go by with zero response or acknowledgement to what they think is particularly well crafted bit of bait.

Mr_Simnock

It would be easier if the same 7-8 certain posters on here who, even if their life depended on it, can't help themselves but respond to the trolls simply stayed away from said wrecked threads for a while.

pigamus

Buelligan

Quote from: Space ghost on June 05, 2019, 02:35:26 PM
They are watching the threads they post in like a hawk and there is nothing more annoying for them than watching page after page go by with zero response or acknowledgement to what they think is particularly well crafted bit of bait.

Yes, you're absolutely right.  And, I think it's worth bearing in mind that our little community of lunatics and sages existed on this mountain for many, many, years before these barbarians arrived, trying to destroy our little world.  It will continue to exist for many, many, years after they have left.  They will leave when they are bored and we will continue.

Noonling

Ok, but where are the barbarians recruiting? What job sites should I be using? Reed? Total Jobs? Will a LinkedIn profile help?

pancreas

Quote from: Space ghost on June 05, 2019, 02:28:50 PM
Some of you seem to think that ridding a forum of a committed troll is as simple as pressing the 'ban button' at CaB HQ and that Neil is simply refusing to do it for whatever reason (probably to annoy you) . It doesn't work like that. They will just re-register, usually within minutes and any measure or block put in place to prevent this can be circumvented in a few minutes more. Usually by (removed).

Not quite. He can ban IP addresses for a start.

Jerzy Bondov

Politics trolls are boring as fuck. Video game trolling is where it's at. Chaotix is the best game ever created.

Endicott

Quote from: Darles Chickens on June 05, 2019, 01:13:10 PM
Goldfinger is a good first step, even if it doesn't work on the phone.  I thought I could just skip over the posts myself, but it's just visual clutter which I'd rather not even have to identify.  All that extension needs is an option to also block posts from anyone who quoted an ignored user, and get rid of the rest of the noise.

Be strong, people, and don't take the bait.

Genius idea. I've updated the Tampermonkey script. I don't have access to Goldfinger but if I can be arsed I'll submit a PR to PCalf's git repository. If you're using it in tampermonkey you can control this optionally by what bits you comment out with // at the bottom.

// ==UserScript==
// @name        Ignore Users on Cook'd and Bomb'd V4
// @namespace   http://www.stupidpupil.co.uk
// @include     https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/*
// @include     http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/*
// @grant       none
// @version     1.4
// ==/UserScript==
(function () {
        'use strict';

var ignoredUsers, expireAfter, opacity;

expireAfter = 1209600000; //Milliseconds
        opacity = '0.3';

console.log('running');

ignoredUsers = window.localStorage.getItem("ignoredUsers");
        if (ignoredUsers) {
            console.log(ignoredUsers);
            ignoredUsers = JSON.parse(ignoredUsers);
        } else {
            ignoredUsers = {};
        }

//

function expireIgnores() {
            var ignore, i;

for (i in ignoredUsers) {
                ignore = ignoredUsers[i];

if ((Date.now() - ignore.ignored) > expireAfter) {
                    unignoreUser(i);
                }
            }
        }

function ignoreUser(uid, username) {
            ignoredUsers[uid] = {
                'username': username,
                'ignored': Date.now()
            };
            console.log('set ignore list  - add user');
            window.localStorage.setItem("ignoredUsers", JSON.stringify(ignoredUsers));
        }

function unignoreUser(uid) {
            delete ignoredUsers[uid];
            console.log('set ignore list  - remove user');
            window.localStorage.setItem("ignoredUsers", JSON.stringify(ignoredUsers));
        }

//

function setIgnoreLink() {
            if (!window.location.search.match("action=profile;u=")) {
                return false;
            }
            var infolinks, anchor, uid;
            infolinks = document.getElementById("infolinks");
            anchor = document.getElementById("ignorelink");
            uid = window.location.search.replace(new RegExp(".+;u=(\\d+)"), "$1");

if (anchor) {
                anchor.childNodes[0].remove();
            } else {
                anchor = document.createElement("a");
                anchor.setAttribute("href", "#ignorelink");
                anchor.setAttribute("id", "ignorelink");

anchor.addEventListener("click", function () {
                    var cuid, username;
                    cuid = window.location.search.replace(new RegExp(".+;u=(\\d+)"), "$1");
                    username = document.getElementsByClassName("username")[0].textContent.trim();

if (ignoredUsers[cuid]) {
                        unignoreUser(cuid);
                    } else {
                        ignoreUser(cuid, username);
                    }

setIgnoreLink();
                    return false;
                });

infolinks.appendChild(document.createElement("br"));
                infolinks.appendChild(anchor);
            }

if (ignoredUsers[uid]) {
                anchor.appendChild(document.createTextNode("Unignore User"));
            } else {
                anchor.appendChild(document.createTextNode("Ignore User"));
            }

}

//

function hideThreads() {
            console.log('hideThreads - begin');
            if (!window.location.href.match("board")) {
                return false;
            }
            console.log('hideThreads - continue');

var subjects, subject, uid, i;
            subjects = document.getElementsByClassName('subject');
            for (i in subjects) {
                subject = subjects[i];
                if(typeof subject !== 'object') {
                    break;
                }
                if (subject.getElementsByTagName("p").length > 0) {
                    uid = subject.getElementsByTagName("p")[0].getElementsByTagName("a")[0].href.replace(new RegExp(".+u=(\\d+)"), "$1");
                    if (ignoredUsers[uid]) {
                        subject.parentNode.style.opacity = opacity;
                        if (subject.getElementsByTagName("span")) {
                            subject.getElementsByTagName("span")[0].style.display = "none";
                            subject.parentNode.getElementsByClassName("stats")[0].textContent = "";
                            subject.parentNode.getElementsByClassName("lastpost")[0].textContent = "";
                        }

}
                }
            }
            console.log('hideThreads - end');
        }

function hidePostsAndPostsWithQuotes() {
            console.log('hidePosts - begin');
            if (!window.location.href.match("topic")) {
                return false;
            }
            console.log('hidePosts - continue');

var posts, post, uid, i;
            var quoteheaders, qh, usernames, qusername, ignoreQuoted;

usernames = [];
                usernames.push(ignoredUsers[i].username);
            }

posts = document.getElementsByClassName('post_wrapper');

for (i in posts) {
                post = posts[i];
                if (post.getElementsByTagName) {
                    uid = post.getElementsByClassName("poster")[0].getElementsByTagName("h4")[0].getElementsByTagName("a")[0].href.replace(new RegExp(".+u=(\\d+)"), "$1");
                    ignoreQuoted = false;

quoteheaders = post.getElementsByClassName('quoteheader');
                    for (i in quoteheaders) {
                        qh = quoteheaders[i];
                        if (qh.textContent) {
                            qusername = qh.textContent.replace(new RegExp("Quote from: (.+?) on .+"), "$1").trim();
                            if (usernames.indexOf(qusername) > -1) {
                                ignoreQuoted = true;
                            }
                        }
                    }

if (ignoredUsers[uid] || ignoreQuoted) {
                        post.parentNode.style.opacity = opacity;
                        setDisplayNone(post, "avatar");
                        setDisplayNone(post, "post");
                        setDisplayNone(post, "keyinfo");
                        setDisplayNone(post, "reset");
                        setDisplayNone(post, "moderatorbar");
                        setDisplayNone(post, "quote_button");
                    }

}
            }
            console.log('hidePosts - end');
        }

function hidePosts() {
            console.log('hidePosts - begin');
                return false;
            }
            console.log('hidePosts - continue');

var posts, post, uid, i;
            posts = document.getElementsByClassName('post_wrapper');

for (i in posts) {
                post = posts[i];
                if (post.getElementsByTagName) {
                    uid = post.getElementsByClassName("poster")[0].getElementsByTagName("h4")[0].getElementsByTagName("a")[0].href.replace(new RegExp(".+u=(\\d+)"), "$1");

if (ignoredUsers[uid]) {
                        post.parentNode.style.opacity = opacity;
                        setDisplayNone(post, "avatar");
                        setDisplayNone(post, "post");
                        setDisplayNone(post, "keyinfo");
                        setDisplayNone(post, "reset");
                        setDisplayNone(post, "moderatorbar");
                        setDisplayNone(post, "quote_button");
                    }

}
            }
            console.log('hidePosts - end');
        }
        function setDisplayNone(post, name) {
            if (post.getElementsByClassName(name)[0]) {
                post.getElementsByClassName(name)[0].style.display = "none";
            }
        }

function hideQuotes() {
            console.log('hideQuotes - begin');
                return false;
            }
            console.log('hideQuotes - continue');

var quoteheaders, qh, usernames, qusername, i;
            quoteheaders = document.getElementsByClassName('quoteheader');

usernames = [];
                usernames.push(ignoredUsers[i].username);
            }

for (i in quoteheaders) {
                qh = quoteheaders[i];
                if (qh.textContent) {
                    qusername = qh.textContent.replace(new RegExp("Quote from: (.+?) on .+"), "$1").trim();

if (usernames.indexOf(qusername) > -1) {
                        qh.nextSibling.textContent = "";
                        qh.nextSibling.style.opacity = opacity;
                        qh.style.opacity = opacity;
                    }
                }
            }
            console.log('hideQuotes - end');
        }

//expireIgnores(); // removed because I want control
        //hideThreads(); // removed because I found it annoying
        setIgnoreLink();
        hidePostsAndPostsWithQuotes();
        //hidePosts();
        //hideQuotes();
    }
)
();

Cuellar

Quote from: Endicott on June 05, 2019, 04:06:52 PM
if I can be arsed I'll submit a PR to PCalf's git repository.

That's no way to refer to this place

Endicott

I was supposed to be reviewing someone else's code, but that was much more satisfying.

Noonling

Also: Would I still get paid if people block me? Does my salary get docked?

Uncle TechTip

Some of you seem to think that ridding a forum of a committed troll is as simple as pressing the 'ban button' at CaB HQ and that Neil is simply refusing to do it for whatever reason (probably to annoy you) . It doesn't work like that. They will just re-register, usually within minutes and any measure or block put in place to prevent this can be circumvented in a few minutes more. Usually by just switching their fone off and on again.

Trolls want to annoy you, grasp that fact. They want to annoy and upset you and they want to disrupt and create conflict in your community. Arguing with each other about them, arguing with the site admin, making additional threads about them, coming up with 'amusing' responses to them by doing all this you are achieving that goal for them. Very basic stuff.

Oi pillocks! Read this. Then read it again.

NoSleep

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 05, 2019, 12:23:01 PM
Have we thought of an example where someone has been successfully ignored off a forum?

I have no doubt that it has worked elsewhere.

Has one ever been ignored here? I don't think so; always some fool willing to pick at the sore in some form or another; anything but leave totally alone.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 05, 2019, 12:47:43 PM
Even just today, some of your best forum members, imitationleather and this thread starter are losing the will to carry on here. It should focus the mind to start proposing and enacting solutions which work, rather than transferring the responsibility to others to self moderate, which demonstrably doesn't work.

And in a politics thread it doesn't work because every new event, every utterance, every tweet gives these people a fresh excuse to post. I agree with the operating poster. It simply isn't acceptable or fair in my view to instruct thousands of people to work around this problem.

Anyway, I know you will instinctively want to do the exact opposite of whatever I propose so I've said my bit and will leave this thread alone, it's your forum.

Wrong. And it isn't "thousands of people" responding.

Some of you seem to think that ridding a forum of a committed troll is as simple as pressing the 'ban button' at CaB HQ and that Neil is simply refusing to do it for whatever reason (probably to annoy you) . It doesn't work like that. They will just re-register, usually within minutes and any measure or block put in place to prevent this can be circumvented in a few minutes more. Usually by just switching their fone off and on again.

Quote from: Space ghost on June 05, 2019, 02:35:26 PM

100% right.

phantom_power

If even one person stops responding it starves them of a bit of oxygen and impetus. The more that join in, the less there is in it for them to continue. All you can do is play your part and hope others join in and that anyone who cracks and responds doesn't start a whole digression about it in the thread and everyone else just carries on regardless

QDRPHNC

A wonderful piece of advice I read on dealing with toxic people who want to bait you is: Let your silence be the last word.

Quote from: Endicott on June 05, 2019, 04:06:52 PM
Genius idea. I've updated the Tampermonkey script. I don't have access to Goldfinger but if I can be arsed I'll submit a PR to PCalf's git repository. If you're using it in tampermonkey you can control this optionally by what bits you comment out with // at the bottom.

Great job.  That works brilliantly!

I see Goldfinger's gone from the Chrome Store though.  I assume someone 'reported' it.  Figures.

chveik

gee, thanks mister!

katzenjammer

Next one to reply to Tommy Robwatson smells of wee!

That ought to do it

Danger Man

Quote from: SpiderChrist on June 05, 2019, 01:04:12 PM
I've stopped looking at the political threads, as the likes of Tommy, Paulie and Biggie are just making me feel utterly fucking depressed.

Wait until you start reading RfV's posts