Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:10:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Italian Job is 50 Years Old

Started by Blumf, June 05, 2019, 04:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

The Benny Hill film was released on the 5th June in London, 27th July for the rest of the UK, so that makes it half a century old:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064505/

What doors will you be blowing off to celebrate?

St_Eddie

Gulftastic

As far as I can tell, the entire plan depends on Michael Cain being able to hurl a non-racing bicycle some considerable distance to shut off the electricity.

Uncle TechTip

gilbertharding

The only computer game I've really tried to get all the way through all the levels (but gave up on the final one) was The Italian Job for PC.

The first part of the final level you had to drive the minibus around all the locations in Turin dropping off the CCTV jammers. It was impossible to do it in time.

https://www.old-games.com/download/6851/italian-job-the
Quote from: this guy
The voice work is OK, except the part of the lead character (played by Michael Caine in the movie), which is voiced in the game by a guy who is most assuredly the winner of the grand prize of the world's worst Michael Caine impersonation contest. Literally, Mr. T could sound no less like Michael Caine. I really and truly hope that whoever did that voice reads this and is so shaken that he gives up voice work as a profession and goes into something he might be good at, such as serial killing or breaking open pay phones for quarters. It would, of course, be really embarrassing if it turned out that somehow Michael Caine with a severe head cold had done the voice work. That's one of the risks I take so you don't have to. Appreciate me.

Phil Cornwell did the voice of Michael Caine.

The Culture Bunker

I might be the only person in the known world who quite enjoyed the Mark Wahlberg film of the same name.

St_Eddie

Gulftastic

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on June 06, 2019, 09:52:26 AM
I might be the only person in the known world who quite enjoyed the Mark Wahlberg film of the same name.

No, I like it too. I love that it has the modern rules of 'The thieves can win, but only if they are robbing a shithead'.

studpuppet

QuoteThe voice work is OK, except the part of the lead character (played by Michael Caine in the movie), which is voiced in the game by a guy who is most assuredly the winner of the grand prize of the world's worst Michael Caine impersonation contest. Literally, Mr. T could sound no less like Michael Caine. I really and truly hope that whoever did that voice reads this and is so shaken that he gives up voice work as a profession and goes into something he might be good at, such as serial killing or breaking open pay phones for quarters. It would, of course, be really embarrassing if it turned out that somehow Michael Caine with a severe head cold had done the voice work.

"Oi!"

Uncle TechTip

Always thought he was impersonating a hirsute Chris Evans there.

imitationleather

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 06, 2019, 09:34:49 AM
The only computer game I've really tried to get all the way through all the levels (but gave up on the final one) was The Italian Job for PC.

The first part of the final level you had to drive the minibus around all the locations in Turin dropping off the CCTV jammers. It was impossible to do it in time.

https://www.old-games.com/download/6851/italian-job-the
Phil Cornwell did the voice of Michael Caine.

I had that game on Playstation! As far as I recall, it was so stupidly easy that even meself, who is terrible at all games, could rinse the levels on the first go.

I remember the voice acting being fine. Reviewer is a twat.

Sebastian Cobb

Wasn't there a gangster driving game (a bit like driver/gta) on the psx that had Michael Caine doing voicework? I can't remember much about it apart from one of the cars was a Jensen Interceptor.

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 06, 2019, 04:18:41 PM
Wasn't there a gangster driving game (a bit like driver/gta) on the psx that had Michael Caine doing voicework? I can't remember much about it apart from one of the cars was a Jensen Interceptor.
The gangster driving game wih the Caine voiceover was the previously mentioned Italian Job PS1 conversion, with Cornwell on impression duties. Like the film, it did not feature a Jensen though. It does have all the vehicles from the film - the Mini, Daimler Limousine, Aston Martin DB4 Convertible, Jaguar E-Type, Fiat Dino Coupe, Fiat 500, Lancia Flaminia, Lamborghini Miura, Land Rover Station Wagon, Ford Thames minibus and the Harrington Legionnaire Bedford VAL twin-steer coach (and also an AC Cobra, which I can't remember being in the film) Someone's done a Long Play of the PS1 version.

The only gangster driving game I can remember with a Jensen Interceptor was The Getaway on the PS2:

Sony London had signed a licence with the reborn Jensen Motors Ltd for the game so it also featured their new Jensen S-V8:

The company got a big grant from Liverpool City Council to set up it's factory in Speke, commencing production of the SV-8 in August 2001. The apparently had 110 orders for the S-V8, but went bankrupt in July 2002 after only 20 cars had been completed.

Sebastian Cobb

The getaway was definitely what I was thinking of, and now you mention it, yes it was definitely the ps2. Fuck sake my brain is turning to mush.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 06, 2019, 11:51:35 PM
The getaway was definitely what I was thinking of, and now you mention it, yes it was definitely the ps2. Fuck sake my brain is turning to mush.

The only good thing about The Getaway was its accurate recreation of London.  A good trainer for cabbies, I should imagine.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 07, 2019, 07:39:46 AM
The only good thing about The Getaway was its accurate recreation of London.  A good trainer for cabbies, I should imagine.

M25 racer was a bit like that, for the M25.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 07, 2019, 11:00:45 AM
M25 racer was a bit like that, for the M25.

I consider myself to have a working knowledge of the layout of Paris from playing 'Midtown Madness 3' back in the 00's.