Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:09:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ask a CaBber

Started by Dex Sawash, June 05, 2019, 05:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Hello CaBbers reading this. My wife is going to Scotland in a few weeks need to know how she can avoid Danger Man if these dinguses will enable her american things to plug into scottish things.

Spoon of Ploff

Should this thread be called Answer a CaBber?

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Dex Sawash on June 05, 2019, 05:12:48 PM
Hello CaBbers reading this. My wife is going to Scotland in a few weeks need to know how she can avoid Danger Man if these dinguses will enable her american things to plug into scottish things.

Yes.

To keep this thing going, if anyone wants to know why this

is an absolutely atrocious album cover, just ask.

Danger Man

Quote from: QDRPHNC on June 05, 2019, 05:16:56 PM
Yes.

Fixed, etc

Dr Trouser

Yes.

Although the voltage levels are different so as long as its a SMPS she'll be fine, if not she'll need one of these as well

canadagoose

Although this has been answered already, yes, but don't go plugging hairdryers and straighteners from America in. They might do something nasty due to the higher voltage.

Dr Trouser

Quote from: canadagoose on June 05, 2019, 05:24:55 PM
Although this has been answered already, yes, but don't go plugging hairdryers and straighteners from America in. They might do something nasty due to the higher voltage.

No, hairdryers will be fine she'll just find that her hair dries twice as fast.

Captain Z

And her hair might go up instead of down.

Danger Man

Have people started washing their hair in Scotland? Who knew?

canadagoose

Quote from: Danger Man on June 05, 2019, 05:33:24 PM
We don't, but hairdryers stop you dripping in your Tennents when you've come in from the rain. Very handy.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on June 05, 2019, 05:15:02 PM

As she's going to Scotland, it should be Answer a Caber (like the popular tossing the caber sport in scotland).

Cold Meat Platter

You would need to deep fry them first though!
Because we like batter!

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Danger Man on June 05, 2019, 05:33:24 PM

Strong, thick, luscious hair.

There are no bald Scots.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on June 05, 2019, 05:15:02 PM

And FAQ should be Frequently Provided Answers

Funcrusher

I don't think they have electricity yet in Scotland.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Dr Trouser on June 05, 2019, 05:23:26 PM
Yes.

Although the voltage levels are different so as long as its a SMPS she'll be fine, if not she'll need one of these as well

phwoar

I made mistake of asking her if she had a blow dryer when  we met.
"I AM NOT A WHORE"
I sort of stepped in something with that.

JesusAndYourBush

UK voltage is 240v but USA is only 120v so check if the appliance will work with 240v.
I know some UK electrical appliances state on the back "120-240v" meaning they'll work with both voltages, so if you don't see something like that then the appliances will probably blow up.

Attila

I will ask a question then: Where in Scotland is the Mrs going?

My favourite bits are all around Blairgowrie and that.

Buelligan

I'm not saying where my favourite bits are because one of their main points is the lack of humans.  But my favourite bits are mostly big sky and sea beneath small cliffs and the falling calls of birds where pebbles grind, rowans bonzai'd, the yellow splash of lichen and stonecrop, rock tubed by all the sea in all the time and a small stone house hunkered, looking out, across the living turf towards everything and beyond.  A crow calls.

Dex Sawash

She is a youth handler at her episcopal church. Her group will go to all the important sites where the english jesus subjugated the scots. They usually do some service projects on these trips, probably will pick up discarded wands at some Harry Potter ruins. They'll be S of the wall to go to Lindisfarne and the other Durham.

pigamus

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on June 06, 2019, 01:41:59 AM
UK voltage is 240v but USA is only 120v so check if the appliance will work with 240v.
I know some UK electrical appliances state on the back "120-240v" meaning they'll work with both voltages, so if you don't see something like that then the appliances will probably blow up.

Only one watt but plenty of volts, as they say.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: pigamus on June 06, 2019, 12:35:50 PM
Only one watt but plenty of volts, as they say.

"I wanna see flames!"

buzby

Yes.

No good unless her hairdryer and travel iron have got an IEC 60309 yellow 'MK Commando' plug on them as well:

Seriously though, you shouldn't use 'Kango'-style building site transformers to power 110V US home appliances as they are 'centre-tapped to Earth' isolation transformers rather than a straight step-down transformer. They provide two 55V phases instead of 110V between the Line and Neutral (VP in the diagram would be 240V, and both VA & VB would be 55V, giving a VTOTAL of 110V):

This is done in the name of reducing the severity of a potential shock on a building site - if a tool's cable is accidentally cut or one of the conductors gets exposed, you would only be exposed to a voltage of 55V referenced from Earth instead of 110V or 240V.

Back to the OP - modern electronic power supplies like phone chargers and laptop PSUs are usually all switch mode-based, and will automatically adjust for the higher supply voltage by drawing less current. Inductive loads like hairdryers, irons and kettles manufactured for 110V will heat up twice as fast and can potentially catch fire on 240V (though they usually have a thermostatic cutout to stop this happening).

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on June 05, 2019, 05:16:56 PM
Yes.

The composition is excellent, and it has the title of the record clearly demarcated on it such that anyone could read it.

It is therefore excellent. I have an A Level in Fine Art (and a GCSE in Graphic Art) so debate me at your peril.

Dex Sawash

Scotland trip is going well and she was able to connect her phone to the mains. She sent me a picture of a Greggs and a grassy looking low hill. She also likes to see the sheep.
Well I bet she fucking does.

Ferris

Quote from: Dex Sawash on June 17, 2019, 12:23:29 AM
Scotland trip is going well and she was able to connect her phone to the mains. She sent me a picture of a Greggs and a grassy looking low hill. She also likes to see the sheep.
Well I bet she fucking does.

If this is a veiled attack on the album cover for George Harrison's Cloud Nine, then I won't stand for it.

willpurry

Yes.

Isn't that the Minion Emperor?

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Dex Sawash on June 06, 2019, 12:26:29 PM
She is a youth handler at her episcopal church. Her group will go to all the important sites where the english jesus subjugated the scots. They usually do some service projects on these trips, probably will pick up discarded wands at some Harry Potter ruins. They'll be S of the wall to go to Lindisfarne and the other real Durham.

fixed

KennyMonster

Hello CaBbers reading this. My wife is going to Scotland in a few weeks

Jamaica?