Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:27:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bloody love Popmaster me

Started by madhair60, June 06, 2019, 10:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

It's good. Does anyone else "stop for Popmaster"? then immediately switch the fuck off before Jeremy Vine comes on

Norton Canes

No but I did like Kenbrucemaster

Endicott

Quote from: madhair60 on June 06, 2019, 10:44:17 AM
It's good. Does anyone else "stop for Popmaster"? then immediately switch the fuck off before Jeremy Vine comes on

Oh fuck yes. I like popmaster but not as much as I hate Jeremy Vine and his complete inability to present a critique of any of his callers.

gilbertharding

The whole Ken Bruce show is great. He seems to really be interested in music, and even if a lot of what he plays is bland, he has a ready wit and an easy charm.

I got a full house on Popmaster earlier in the month (I hadn't phoned in, alas) - notable because I was in the office and had just been told earlier that morning that my Dad had died.

Sadly, Ken didn't play anything from War of the Worlds after Three in Ten.

jobotic

I quite like it although only ever hear it in the car and have to crank it up as at my age I can't hear anything over the frequencies of the engine.

Sorry about your dad gilbert.

Bently Sheds

It's always a lost cause trying to guess the song that comes after 3 in 10. I suppose Ken has a list of possible tracks to suit the remaining time before the news, depending on how long Popmaster has taken.

You're always going to get Hotel California, Stairlift to Heaven or Total Eclipse of the Heart, but it's a good day if you get the full MacArthur Park. But then he throws in a Piano Man or Uptown Top Rankin to throw you off.

holyzombiejesus

I know the guy who won the champions league version or whatever the fuck it was called at Christmas. Works in Kingbee Records in Chorlton. He's a bit of an expert on TotP so thought our Daf or Buzby might have known him, but apparently not.

Head Gardener

I've been on it 4 times, won it 3 times getting the 3 in 10 too and once got to 3 in 10 and fucked it up so got a shower radio, it's a great chat up line btw
the laydees lurve a guy who has won Popmaster

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Endicott on June 06, 2019, 11:16:00 AM
Oh fuck yes. I like popmaster but not as much as I hate Jeremy Vine and his complete inability to present a critique of any of his callers.

When I worked a summer on a weighbridge at a tip all I had for company was a small ghetto blaster. Radio 2 seemed less bad than Radio 1 or BRMB, but I wanted to throttle Jeremy Vine, such a load of reactionary shite about nothing. Asking obvious questions for his idiot callers to answer. I remember one day there was a story about a horrible couple of nonces being sent down and it was just a constant stream of people phoning up saying they should be 'hung, drawn and quartered', just what you want to eat your sarnies to.

madhair60

Quote from: Head Gardener on June 06, 2019, 04:17:12 PM
I've been on it 4 times, won it 3 times getting the 3 in 10 too and once got to 3 in 10 and fucked it up so got a shower radio, it's a great chat up line btw
the laydees lurve a guy who has won Popmaster

Nice one mate

Endicott

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 07, 2019, 01:53:19 PM
When I worked a summer on a weighbridge at a tip all I had for company was a small ghetto blaster. Radio 2 seemed less bad than Radio 1 or BRMB, but I wanted to throttle Jeremy Vine, such a load of reactionary shite about nothing. Asking obvious questions for his idiot callers to answer. I remember one day there was a story about a horrible couple of nonces being sent down and it was just a constant stream of people phoning up saying they should be 'hung, drawn and quartered', just what you want to eat your sarnies to.

About 10 years ago, maybe more, Clive Anderson stood in for about 2 weeks. It was glorious listening to him pulling their arguments to pieces.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: Bently Sheds on June 06, 2019, 03:29:49 PM
It's always a lost cause trying to guess the song that comes after 3 in 10. I suppose Ken has a list of possible tracks to suit the remaining time before the news, depending on how long Popmaster has taken.

You're always going to get Hotel California, Stairlift to Heaven or Total Eclipse of the Heart, but it's a good day if you get the full MacArthur Park. But then he throws in a Piano Man or Uptown Top Rankin to throw you off.

He plays Forever Autumn at least three times a month while he nips off for a dump if I remember rightly. Still no sign of him having a breakdown and giving us Sister Ray though, mores the pity.

I went to a PopMaster Children In Need thing at The Lowry Hotel in Manchester a few years ago, Ken is as genial in person as he is on the wireless I'm happy to report. Our table finished third and got a load of free drinks as the prize if I remember rightly.

Cumberland sausage and mash for the main meal, Louise Minchin slammed a door in my face and I told the lead singer of Maximo Park to fuck off. Qualifies as a successful night by anybody's standards I reckon.

Head Gardener

my 3 in 10's (in case anyone cares) were Deacon Blue, The Animals and Squeeze, pretty easy really - relive the magic on download

Bobtoo

My wife has been on twice and won once. Her 3 in 10 was Neil Diamond, I'd have been fucked but she knew loads.

MidnightShambler

Sometimes, the bigger the band the harder the 3 in 10 is, I find. You've got too much choice and your mind goes blank. I completely fucked it on INXS the other week then breezed through Leann Rimes a couple of days later.

The really tricky ones are famous old acts with not a lot of uk hit singles, like Van Halen or Heart or something like that. Ken is often a cunt though and gives Shabba Ranks to a 72yr old postmistress from The Isle Of Skye.

I bet he does, the dirty old bollocks etc.

Bently Sheds

Quote from: MidnightShambler on June 07, 2019, 04:45:39 PM
He plays Forever Autumn at least three times a month while he nips off for a dump if I remember rightly.
When that comes on I always envisage him rushing out of the studio & kicking the gent's bogs door down when he's had a particularly difficult Popmaster; in pure fury really kicking the bin, slamming the cubicle doors and trying to yank the hand dryers off the wall whilst screaming "Stupid fucking bastards couldn't even pronounce Candy Staton correctly!!!!"

MidnightShambler

Quote from: Bently Sheds on June 07, 2019, 07:28:03 PM
When that comes on I always envisage him rushing out of the studio & kicking the gent's bogs door down when he's had a particularly difficult Popmaster; in pure fury really kicking the bin, slamming the cubicle doors and trying to yank the hand dryers off the wall whilst screaming "Stupid fucking bastards couldn't even pronounce Candy Staton correctly!!!!"

Ha! He's so anal about that, 'Candy STAY-TON' business. He plays Young Hearts just so he can say it.

My favourite bit of Ken is when he's asking a contestant about whether they're married or not and Tony from Northampton will catch him by surprise and say 'yes, my partner Steve and I.....' and Ken's 'this is a modern world, that sort of thing is fine' old man twitch will kick in, he'll involuntarily say 'righto' or 'excellent' or something of that nature while the bloke is still talking, followed by a 'wonderful, all sounds lovely' as he de-flusters himself before cutting the chitchat to a dead halt and immediately starting the quiz.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: MidnightShambler on June 07, 2019, 07:07:09 PM
The really tricky ones are famous old acts with not a lot of uk hit singles, like Van Halen or Heart or something like that. Ken is often a cunt though and gives Shabba Ranks to a 72yr old postmistress from The Isle Of Skye.

I remember Def Leppard being a deceptively hard one. Beverly Knight was just a hard, hard one.

It's a brilliantly structured quiz. Unashamedly difficult for a casual listener but a worthy challenge for anyone who likes music.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Head Gardener on June 07, 2019, 05:35:32 PM
my 3 in 10's (in case anyone cares) were Deacon Blue, The Animals and Squeeze, pretty easy really - relive the magic on download
Unless they've used Squeeze more than once, I think I remember that!

And I answered Cool for Cats, Up the Junction and Take Me, I'm Yours before you (or somebody else) answered, so there.

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on June 07, 2019, 09:27:00 PM
I remember Def Leppard being a deceptively hard one. Beverly Knight was just a hard, hard one.

It's a brilliantly structured quiz. Unashamedly difficult for a casual listener but a worthy challenge for anyone who likes music.
The one that left me absolutely baffled was Shalamar.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on June 07, 2019, 09:27:00 PM

Tina Arena and Sam Brown are the two that spring to mind, think they only had a 3 each or 5 at the most. Proper bad luck if you get somebody like that.

I think Alanis Morrisette was one that was deceptively tricky for me, remember all the songs off the album because it was ubiquitous for so long but not many of them were top 40 singles.

Head Gardener

I'd struggle with Cilla or Stereophonics

Quote from: Bently Sheds on June 07, 2019, 07:28:03 PM
"Stupid fucking bastards couldn't even pronounce Candy Staton correctly!!!!"

Quote from: MidnightShambler on June 07, 2019, 08:24:15 PM
Ha! He's so anal about that, 'Candy STAY-TON' business.

Bet the daft cunt gets pissed off when people spell it wrong too.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: Better Midlands on June 11, 2019, 10:38:46 AM

Nope. He's concerned about the pronunciation and the pronunciation only. Everybody knows this.

Bently Sheds

Quote from: Better Midlands on June 11, 2019, 10:38:46 AM
"Question two. Who had a hit with Young Hearts Run Free in 1976... And I require this answer either via email, fax or on a postcard, please. Whilst we wait for the answer, here's the complete back catalogue of The Moody Blues and associated solo projects."

Twed