Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:16:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mackenzie Crook's Worzel Gummidge

Started by Norton Canes, June 06, 2019, 12:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

another Mr. Lizard

'A Christmas Carol' and 'Worzel Gummidge' have gone some way to propping up the Beeb's reputation this week. The drama department have obviously ignored the office memos. I'd love to know what the Kuenssbergs of the world made of Worzel's pro-Thunberg/anti-foxhunting eco-speech receiving primo air-time.

Dewt

Episode 2 has probably made me laugh and cry more than anything in all of 2019.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

It was brilliant, the whole thing. It's been hard this year, defending the BBC, but their comedy, documentary, radio and drama departments have nothing whatsoever to do with that fucking news crowd.

Dewt

Yeah. It's not a very centralised organisation. I've made (non-video) content for them via a content company, and it very much happened without their influence.

In fact, Mackenzie's Worzel Gummidge felt like a gentle yet pointed "fuck you" to everyone who dismisses the BBC lazily out of hand. It pissed off some racists too. Good. Fuck 'em. It was a lovely programme, and I'm glad that everyone who isn't a cunt agrees.

idunnosomename

This isn't made by the BBC though. It'll be pitched to them by Leopard Films on the strength of Crook in Detectorists and also the recognisability of the adaption. After that really the production of the final product is not really anything to do with the BBC

Edit i know this means that practically nothing on the BBC is made by the BBC anymore - from Bargain Hunt to big dramas - but thats just how it is. A lot of radio is all outsourced too. But the core which is represented by its news programming and bulletins is all blinkered rotten oxbridge cunts.

jobotic

Haven't watched it yet but will.

Why did it piss off racists? Because it wasn't overtly racist?

selectivememory

Quote from: jobotic on December 29, 2019, 11:42:06 AM
Haven't watched it yet but will.

Why did it piss off racists? Because it wasn't overtly racist?

I haven't seen it yet either, but it seems to be because there are some black characters in it.

Edit: yep, just looking through it a bit more, it's literally just because the kids are black. People can be so horrible.

Also, a lot of people seem to think that its having an anti-hunt, pro-environmentalism message is pushing the "PC agenda". Bunch of absolute thickos as well as being nasty cunts.

PlanktonSideburns

Loving the positivity this series has created here. Will have to check it out

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 29, 2019, 11:29:14 AM
This isn't made by the BBC though. It'll be pitched to them by Leopard Films on the strength of Crook in Detectorists and also the recognisability of the adaption. After that really the production of the final product is not really anything to do with the BBC

Edit i know this means that practically nothing on the BBC is made by the BBC anymore - from Bargain Hunt to big dramas - but thats just how it is. A lot of radio is all outsourced too. But the core which is represented by its news programming and bulletins is all blinkered rotten oxbridge cunts.

I get where you're coming from but they were the ones who commissioned it, bar perhaps Channel 4 I can't imagine anyone else doing so, and even that seems like an outside bet given the crap they mostly make these days.

Glyn

I see everyone else has covered how great this was so the only thing I can add is that 'whispering a bum secret' was the best bit of Christmas so far.

idunnosomename

Part of the way the BBC is run does allow good things to get made yes even if it's someone like Crook or The League of Gentlemen blokes pulling strings of the commissioners. Channel 4 tanked years ago with Big Brother really

derek stitt

That make believe motorcycle gang just wonderfully daft.

kalowski

Quote from: Glyn on December 29, 2019, 12:30:46 PM
I see everyone else has covered how great this was so the only thing I can add is that 'whispering a bum secret' was the best bit of Christmas so far.
That and the cows being considered covered in "swears" like "leather milk balloon" and "horse".

gilbertharding

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 29, 2019, 12:24:41 PM
I get where you're coming from but they were the ones who commissioned it, bar perhaps Channel 4 I can't imagine anyone else doing so, and even that seems like an outside bet given the crap they mostly make these days.

The Tiger Who Came to Tea was quite nice. But you're right, C4 don't make a habit of it.

Dewt

You could also look at it as "the BBC commission a lot of good, wholesome and high-quality stuff to keep people loyal to their political arm". I don't think that's actually the motivation, though.

alan nagsworth

Not quite sure how Crook managed to get me crying at a chap with a marrow for a head in a leather jacket sucking his thumb to a bedtime story but the cunt pulled it off.

These two episodes were nowt short of absolute delight and wonder. Captured the magic as well as a bit of the creepiness, conveyed messages without being too preachy, managed to be funny without stooping to adult wink-nods, and above all else perfectly encapsulated all that is beautiful and majestic about the British countryside. I sincerely hope we get more of this.

Dewt

Detectorists if you haven't already seen it, btw.

timebug

Have one old mate who watched it,and hated it. Otherwise,everyone I know who saw it/them loved it! My mate John hated it because he loved the Jon Pertwee ones back in the day;so did I, but I still loved this version. I have read a couple of the books,where my friend has not, maybe that goes towards explaining?
Whilst the latest version was 'not the books' as such, it was a lot closer in feel and tone,than the J.P version. Either way, great stuff and MORE PLEASE!!!

alan nagsworth

I don't really see the point in doing a remake which is too similar to the original. The only reason people moan about that sort of thing is because they're stuck in the past and less willing to accept a modern take on something, not realising that for many people in younger generations, the old version simply isn't going to be relatable enough.

I think I need to go back and rewatch Detectorists. I got about halfway into the second series before suddenly realising I was quite bored, even though I had generally found it pleasant enough until then, and I stopped watching. Maybe I wasn't in the right headspace for it. But having a healthy dose of Crook's talents here may be enough to sway me back into it.

jsgibble

I liked how the message at the end was framed positively, independent of the villains of the story line.

jobotic

Put it on for my 8 year old son today, having managed to get him off the Nintendo. I could only watch the first twenty minutes as I had washing to sort out but it seemed great. He loved it and wanted to watch part 2 straight away. Tough luck son, I want to watch it with you.

holyzombiejesus

My shit of a son hated it but then he's not 3 til Tuesday. I thought it was great. Really wanted a distant shot of 2 detectorists wandering about but obviously not to be. The 2 kids were ace and I really liked the broader moments as well as the eerie and bucolic parts.

jobotic

Yeah my three year wasn't having it. Daft cow.

Just amused myself at the thought of a delighted Mackenzie Crook enjoying this positive thread about his nice new show, before reading the responses from your three-year-olds. "Yeah? Well tell your kids from me to FUCK OFF."

holyzombiejesus

"He should have made The Snail & The Whale instead."

Actually, WG apart, tS&tW was the best thing I saw all Christmas. The Magic Light adaptations of Julia Donaldson and Axel Shehfleferler books are so great.

Glebe

Watched both episodes on Dailymotion (cheers for the link, TheMonk!) on me phone (I know, but it's a decent phone...). Though it was absolutely marvelous, lovely, warm and witty. Incredibly life-affirming and completely devoid of modern cynicism. Well done, Crook mate.

BlodwynPig

Look what ive just found.

A priceless piece of memorabilia for all you Gummidgeheads

Dewt

It looks like it's saying he is our ruler

Malcy