Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:56:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mackenzie Crook's Worzel Gummidge

Started by Norton Canes, June 06, 2019, 12:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Roofdog

alan nagsworth

Awesome news, will almost certainly be worth the wait.

Malcy

Butchers Blind

Glebe

Quote from: Butchers Blind on December 24, 2020, 08:43:34 AMHeads up that this is on tonight.

Thanks for the reminder BB! Merry Christmas!

Tikwid

This year's film was pleasant enough telly - even lower stakes than last year's two specials, I thought - until the last five minutes, which pretty much wrecked me with that beautiful Unthanks song. Even more chilling than the main scarecrow song from last year. (Otherwise, nice to see - well, hear - a cameo from
Spoiler alert
BRIAN BLESSED
[close]
)

Missed last year so have watched all three this year - joyously good fun.

kalowski

We loved it in the Kalowski household. Saucy Nancy was delightful. And by God the Unthanks are wonderful.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Tikwid on December 26, 2020, 01:49:47 PMuntil the last five minutes, which pretty much wrecked me with that beautiful Unthanks song.

I shed a salty tear too. I'm not really fussed about high stakes in a show like this, it's just such a beautiful thing to wallow in. Funny, charming and strangely haunting. Mackenzie Crook is a very talented man. In your face, Gervais!

I also agree that The Unthanks are absolutely wonderful.

Emma Raducanu

Yep. Any the unthanks favourite songs anyone? So far I've really loved A great Northern River which is luverrrly.

The Mollusk

Copped the third episode just now since I'm nursing a whiskey hangover and needed something wholesome and lovely, and this is about as wholesome and lovely as it gets. A wondrous ode to the British land/seascape and all that dwells within it. I'd almost go as far as saying it is objectively good, since I can't really imagine anyone not enjoying it. The whole thing gels together so well that even the humour which is aimed at a younger audience is something that has me chuckling, as it's so sweet and earnest. Ditto the unassuming shots of spider webs and seabirds which are ordinary enough but in the context of the show they inspire a quiet awe in the viewer. "Ah mate, fucking look at that ladybird sitting on a mushroom. That's the beautiful country I live in" I was thinking. Bloody marvellous telly.

kalowski

The review in the New Statesman talked about the "bits thrown in to keep the adults entertained" but there weren't any, were there? That's the beauty of it. A totally straight bat, with no saucy adult jokes thrown in with a nod and a wink.
Just delightful entertainment for everyone.

The Mollusk

I didn't notice anything like that either. Maybe they were on about the people in the pub? "I've been in here since Tuesday" is more a joke for grownups but I don't see why kids wouldn't get a laugh out of that too, especially if you've spent a sizeable chunk of your childhood in the care of your alcoholic uncle scoring weed out the back of the grottiest pub in town like I did!

St_Eddie

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 24, 2021, 06:58:36 PM
I didn't notice anything like that either. Maybe they were on about the people in the pub? "I've been in here since Tuesday" is more a joke for grownups...

See You Next Tuesday.

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 24, 2021, 06:58:36 PM...especially if you've spent a sizeable chunk of your childhood in the care of your alcoholic uncle scoring weed out the back of the grottiest pub in town like I did!

Likewise.

gilbertharding

Maybe they meant stuff like Brian Blessed being cast as a character called Abraham Longshanks, being so tiny. I mean - it's not very sophisticated humour, but it does rely to a certain extent on knowing who Brian Blessed is.

The swearing (or 'swearing') was pretty funny - I'd hope that kids would find that hilarious just on its own merits.

sirhenry

Quote from: kalowski on January 24, 2021, 04:03:23 PM
The review in the New Statesman talked about the "bits thrown in to keep the adults entertained" but there weren't any, were there?
Quote from: The Mollusk on January 24, 2021, 02:15:28 PM
Ditto the unassuming shots of spider webs and seabirds which are ordinary enough but in the context of the show they inspire a quiet awe in the viewer. "Ah mate, fucking look at that ladybird sitting on a mushroom. That's the beautiful country I live in" I was thinking. Bloody marvellous telly.
Or are these things common in kids TV these days? I've not watched any in about 20 years, but I'd be very surprised.

[eta]
But wouldn't that be wonderful, as an antidote to the faster louder brighter product placed pablum that certainly used to be 95% of kids TV. Teaching children to stop and contemplate the world could only be a good thing, no?

Malcy

Mr_Simnock

Superb, hope these are a christmass staple for quite a few years to come.

mothman

Good news. Best thing on, two Christmases running.

Malcy

This is on right now or just finishing.

holdover

Toby Jones being in it isn't the only nod to Detectorists in tonight's episode. Lovely.

jsgibble

kalowski

Just one of the best things on TV.
"It's licking my feet!"

Butchers Blind

"Catholics?"

Loved Toby Jones in this as well as Paul Kaye.

Glebe

Is this a repeat of the second Wurzel? Only saw the first one.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Glebe on November 07, 2021, 12:19:27 AM
Is this a repeat of the second Wurzel? Only saw the first one.

It's new, and the fourth episode produced to date. Two more at Christmas.

Glebe

Fourth?! Fuck's sake! I've only seen the first (which was lovely).

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Glebe on November 07, 2021, 01:25:47 AM
Fourth?! Fuck's sake! I've only seen the first (which was lovely).

They're all available on iPlayer. Treat yourself!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m000cskw/worzel-gummidge

Glebe