Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:00:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mackenzie Crook's Worzel Gummidge

Started by Norton Canes, June 06, 2019, 12:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

His special 'wanking head' just looked like his normal one to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyCqi7tTl9g

I know, I know...you've probably seen this hoary old YouTube clip where it sounds like Worzel Gummidge says "That's better, now for a bit of wanking" before and you're saying "Yeah, good one, mate. If only you could also uncover some kind of rude Rainbow clip as well". Fuck you, I still find it hilarious. Oooh look, he's only gone and put his wanking head on, old Wurzel. Absolutely foaming at the mouth for a wank, that lad. The Crowman's probably just given him a USB stick groaning under the weight of all the grot that's on it. He's gone doolally.

OF COURSE this drivel is a new page. Of course it is.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

St_Eddie

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on June 06, 2019, 01:17:31 PM

It's the eyes that make it creepy.  It's the all too human eyes poking out from something inhuman that makes it so very unsettling.  It's the uncanny valley effect.

Quote from: studpuppet on June 06, 2019, 10:31:14 PM

Just remembering being utterly petrified as a youngster by Wurzel being possessed by the travelling crowman and walking about in a trance with an axe, chanting under his breath "I must chop up Aunt Sally and put her in a sack".

Good to see the BBC up for shitting up a new generation of kiddies.

gilbertharding

Captain Z

The WG design is revolting. I wouldn't say it causes fear, more like actual nausea.

Glebe

Enjoying reading the cast list on wikipedia and seeing gems such as

Sgt. Beetroot: Bill Maynard
Saucy Nancy: Barbara Windsor

I do remember this on TV, but likely the 'Down Under' spin off, I guess? Was it repeated in the mid-late 80s at all?

EDIT: quite literally saucy

Glebe

Quote from: A Hat Like That on June 07, 2019, 02:59:05 PMI do remember this on TV, but likely the 'Down Under' spin off, I guess? Was it repeated in the mid-late 80s at all?

FUN FACT: Peter Jackson did a bit of effects work on that.

Chollis

What the hell is this programme? Must've been terrifying as a kid. The McKenzie Crook one is just disgusting.

Quote from: studpuppet on June 06, 2019, 10:31:14 PM
I think you're all forgetting the sheer terror of Pertwee's posh head.

That's fucking terrifying too. Is that John Challis?

St_Eddie

Quote from: A Hat Like That on June 07, 2019, 02:59:05 PM
Saucy Nancy: Barbara Windsor

EDIT: quite literally saucy

Why, is she floating in a bowl with a serving spoon?

thr0b

Someone on Twitter said this version of Worzel is Barry Chuckle. It is, clearly.

I don't know who said it.

biggytitbo

I thought he was going to do it without any makeup.

Chollis

St_Eddie

Quote from: thr0b on June 07, 2019, 03:52:08 PM
Someone on Twitter said this version of Worzel is Barry Chuckle. It is, clearly.

Once seen, cannot be unseen.  Oh dear, oh dear.

Quote from: A Hat Like That on June 07, 2019, 02:59:05 PMI do remember this on TV, but likely the 'Down Under' spin off, I guess? Was it repeated in the mid-late 80s at all?

Yes, there was a full - at least as far as I know - set of repeats on Channel 4 in 1986.  The Down Under spin-off was shown on Sunday mornings circa 1988 - 9.

Phil_A

"Down Under" was repeated for the benefit of viewers in the Anglia region in or around 1996, via some weird never-repeated kids TV summer holiday opt-out.

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on June 07, 2019, 07:06:31 PM
Yes, there was a full - at least as far as I know - set of repeats on Channel 4 in 1986.  The Down Under spin-off was shown on Sunday mornings circa 1988 - 9.

cheers.

Bazooka

I remember WG never being shown in the midlands after its original run, but whenever I went on holiday in the Norfolk area, it was on 24/7, sign of the times.

machotrouts

Genuinely upset by this image. The fucking chin sprouts. Christ.

I've always found something unaccountably disturbing about potatoes that have bits sprouting off them. I don't know what they're called. I searched "potato tentacles" but that didn't get me anywhere. Anyway it's those, but on Freddy Krueger's fucked face. It's the scariest possible human face and the scariest possible potato, all at once.

I don't really know what Worzel Gummidge is so maybe this is par for the course. Best of luck to him. I don't want to come back to this thread and I regret that this post dooms me to being alerted to new replies.

Shaky

Quote from: machotrouts on June 10, 2019, 10:11:09 AM
I've always found something unaccountably disturbing about potatoes that have bits sprouting off them. I don't know what they're called. I searched "potato tentacles" but that didn't get me anywhere. Anyway it's those, but on Freddy Krueger's fucked face. It's the scariest possible human face and the scariest possible potato, all at once.

Potato "tubers", so you weren't a million miles away. Going to call them tentacles from now on, though.

gilbertharding

Potatoes ARE tubers.

When they're ready to grow, the white tentacle bits are sprouts, which grow from the eyes.

http://theconversation.com/can-you-really-be-poisoned-by-green-or-sprouting-potatoes-63437 (answer: not really, but unless you're utterly desperate don't bother).

Bad Ambassador

He should have sprouts growing out of his eyes.

gilbertharding

His head is supposed to be a mangelwurzel, a kind of beet grown for animal fodder. It's a proper root vegetable not a tuber. The sprouts on his chin are the roots.

Quote from: Chollis on June 07, 2019, 03:41:43 PM

What the hell is this programme? Must've been terrifying as a kid. The McKenzie Crook one is just disgusting.

That's fucking terrifying too. Is that John Challis?

Glebe

I hope Mackenzie's Worzel ends up breaking into a posh house for a cuppa tea an a slaice a cake, and there's lots of tension as the family come back and he's wrecking the place. Otherwise it's not Worzel.

Twed

Will this turn out to be Worst-All Gummidge or Best-All Gummidge?

Twed

Hey, does anybody have copies of series 5 & 6 of Gummidge? I want to archive the programme but can't find those two.

Twed

FALSE ALARM, turns out that those two are just the "Down Under" ones, which I have already squirreled away as a separate programme. I repeat, this Gummidge alert is a false alarm.