Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:49:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mackenzie Crook's Worzel Gummidge

Started by Norton Canes, June 06, 2019, 12:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 10, 2019, 02:54:40 PM
His head is supposed to be a mangelwurzel, a kind of beet grown for animal fodder. It's a proper root vegetable not a tuber. The sprouts on his chin are the roots.

Yes!!

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 06, 2019, 02:11:05 PM
His head's a mangelwurzel. Those are the roots.

poodlefaker

Julian Barrett's Catweazle
Tucker's Luck with James Lance

Norton Canes

Although, looking at images of mangelwurzels, I'm not sure Crook's version is quite on the ball. The texture looks more like that of a more... artisan root vegetable, like a Jerusalem artichoke, or celeriac... 

gilbertharding

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 10, 2019, 09:18:37 PM
Yes!!

I know - I thought it bore repeating.

I had trouble finding a picture of a mangelwurzel which looked like Worzel Gummidge too. His head is more like a round parsnip or a wrinkly swede.

Deanjam

Quote from: poodlefaker on June 11, 2019, 03:28:23 PM
Julian Barrett's Catweazle
Tucker's Luck with James Lance

Captain Pugwash with Nick Frost. Oh, wait. That one's happening.

Quote from: machotrouts on June 10, 2019, 10:11:09 AM
I've always found something unaccountably disturbing about potatoes that have bits sprouting off them. I don't know what they're called. I searched "potato tentacles" but that didn't get me anywhere.
Chitting potatoes

Glebe

Quote from: poodlefaker on June 11, 2019, 03:28:23 PMJulian Barrett's Catweazle

There was actually a Catweazle movie mooted some years ago... just looking on Wiki, apparently series' creator, the late Richard Carpenter, had written a screenplay and all:

QuoteAlso featured in the article was an interview with Richard Carpenter in which he gave a frank account of his thoughts on modern television and expressed his desire to bring his writing career full circle with a Catweazle film for the 21st century. He also confirmed that he had drafted a new script. Negotiations for a film had reached pre-production stages when Carpenter died while walking his dog in the countryside at the age of 82 on 26 February 2012.

I'm sure I saw an article a few years back in which Catweazle himself, the late, great, Geoffrey Bayldon, said that he felt that they shouldn't do a new Catweazle, but I done a Google and can't find any source for that now. But I did discover this news titbit from 2010:

Rhys Ifans tipped for Catweazle movie.

And f you can get your head around a Rentaghost reboot featuring Ben Stiller, that almost happened:

QuoteDeadline reported in December 2010 that "Warner Bros had acquired the rights to RentaGhost and was going to develop it into a Beetlejuice-style afterlife feature comedy vehicle for Russell Brand as Fred Mumford." However, in October 2011, it was reported that Ben Stiller had now been signed for the project. Night at the Museum writers Tom Lennon and Robert Ben Garant had been hired to write the script, reuniting the two writers with Stiller.

In 2017, Fox decided not to take up the rights to Rentaghost.[citation needed]

machotrouts

Quote from: sick as a pike on June 11, 2019, 10:58:39 PM
Chitting potatoes

I was chitting potatoes after I saw Mackenzie Crook's Worzel Gummidge, believe you me!

TheMonk

Michael Palin as the Crowman!
Still, I love the original show so much I can't get excited by this...
https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2019/09/19/44347/michael_palin_joins_worzel_gummidge_cast

Glebe

Phil_A

Quote from: Cursus on December 04, 2019, 09:35:31 PM
Trailer available here:

https://metro.co.uk/video/worzel-gummidge-trailer-2062660/

I think if they lean into the strangeness and uncanny qualities of the story this could be alright. The choice of that Unthanks song on the trailer gives a me a bit of hope that that's what they might be going for, that slight Wickerman vibe.

SteveDave

He doesn't look as terrifying in that trailer as he does in the photos.

Norton Canes

It looks brilliantly understated, can't wait.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Phil_A on December 04, 2019, 09:49:21 PM
I think if they lean into the strangeness and uncanny qualities of the story this could be alright. The choice of that Unthanks song on the trailer gives a me a bit of hope that that's what they might be going for, that slight Wickerman vibe.

Which of Worzel's love interests gets the Britt Eckland scene? Aunt Sally, Saucy Nancy or Dolly Clothespeg?

Dex Sawash

I only know WG from random CaB mentions and this thread. Trailer doesn't pull me in, it's like half a trailer.

machotrouts

He looks like the arsehole of a cat with worms.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Phil_A on December 04, 2019, 09:49:21 PM

I have faith in Crook, he proved with Detectorists that he has a natural affinity for fusing odd, subtle comedy with slightly eerie English bucolia. Adapting Worzel Gummidge feels like a natural progression from the last series of Detectorists, which played up that underlying folk horror vibe at times.

Also, and I know I shouldn't gloat, but it delights me that Gareth from The Office has gone on to great success with really excellent, interesting self-penned work, whereas Gervais hasn't moved on in the slightest.

Crook deserves it, he's a talented fella.

Dex Sawash

Jim Bob

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 06, 2019, 11:30:42 PM
Also, and I know I shouldn't gloat, but it delights me that Gareth from The Office has gone on to great success with really excellent, interesting self-penned work, whereas Gervais hasn't moved on in the slightest.

Crook deserves it, he's a talented fella.

On the flip side, Crook has done a spate of interesting and worthwhile projects following The Office, whereas Gervais has received all of the accolades, despite having a tendency to create appalling television.

Still, I'm sure that Crook is doing well for himself and unlike Gervais, he has a body of work which he can be largely proud of, bar the odd blip such as Sex Lives of the Potato Men.  Whereas for Gervais, for all of the adulation and money which has come his way, he has a career composed mostly of Sex Lives of the Potato Men.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Deanjam on June 11, 2019, 04:19:12 PM
Captain Pugwash with Nick Frost. Oh, wait. That one's happening.

... Actually, to be fair, that's bang-on casting.

Malcy

Dewt

Jim Bob

Bazooka

Watching now,quite enjoying it, the kids are really good.  And Steve Pemberton as the farmer, he was the farmer in the League of Gentleman scarecrow scenes, coincidental casting?

Quote from: Bazooka on December 26, 2019, 06:42:42 PM
Watching now,quite enjoying it, the kids are really good.  And Steve Pemberton as the farmer, he was the farmer in the League of Gentleman scarecrow scenes, coincidental casting?

Must be a deliberate piece of casting. Crook is presumably a LoG fan.

It's really charming, this, it gets the tone just right. Vaguely creepy, but not to the extent that it'll send young kids screaming off in terror. Crook's Worzel is quite sweet, he's nowhere near as terrifying as those initial publicity images suggested.

kalowski

It was great. Perfect family viewing. I don't recall any saucy "under the radar" gags, just straightforward fun. My kids loved it.