Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:59:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Peter Cook

Started by Excellent_Biscuits, June 06, 2019, 09:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Anyone remember how good this guy was?

Anyone remember why this site was born in the first place? (Between your arguments)

Anyone remember when he beat up a blow up doll on a horrible depressing film about how dark you can get?

He was pretty good though.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

BeardFaceMan

Sin Agog

You know what, the entire Horne Section do make a strangely on-point stand-in for Dudley Moore in this mad comparison.

Sin Agog

Derek & Clive Get the Horne

Sin Agog

Those three Cookie films that never get talked about, The Wrong Box, The Bed-Sitting Room and Michael Rimmer, are all lost classics in my book.  The first should have been massive with that cast and a rock solid Robert Lois Stevenson premise, not to mention featuring close to Peter Sellers' best character.  Dunno why it slipped through the cracks.  The second is a classic bit of British surrealism.  I feel like there's a comedy seam that never gets talked about when people scat about the origins of Python etc. and that's the type of very English, increasingly surreal comedy literature that emerged around Three Men in a Boat and peaked with The Ascent of Rum Doodle.  This is right in that tradition.  And The Rise & Rise of Michael Rimmer needs another rewatch from me, but I bet it'll seem as prescient as ever.  Last time I watched it was when Blair was still skulking the corridors, and Cook's character got him dead to rights.  If Joe Biden ever became president, it'd have his number, too.  It described exactly what it means to be a neoliberal before that word was even invented.

OK

Let's talk about Peter Cook now.

I don't we'll ever see another one again. I know that is negative but prove me wrong.

Where the fuck is he?

Where the fuck is Chris Morris?

Where ETC

We recently watched Bedazzled on (spam) and I commented that his faliure to be a bigger star in film was for me down to the fact that the best Cook is when hes trying to get a reaction out of a live audience. Sometimes its the audience or its offending or corpsing Moore. That edge can't translate to a tightly scripted film, so his performances always felt stilted and a bit lifeless. The ADR in Bedazzled also didn't help.

DrGreggles

I became a fan of Peter Cook in late 1993 when I went to Uni and my housemate had loads of his stuff. Derek & Clive and NOBA were obviously fantastic, but the best thing he had was a self-compiled VHS of several appearances on other shows Cook had made - Clive Anderson, Danny Baker, Michael Aspel, Clive James, Michael Parkinson and others. It was about 2 and a half hours long and fucking amazing. It would be the best thing on YouTube if it was on there.

His whole awkwardness is the schtick to me!

He couldn't catch a ball if he tried but he could rip you a new one with his brain

typeforty

Oh! Who's this? It's little Peter Cook!

His old neighbour Rainbow George always calls into Iain Lee's radio show; I feel sorry for Cook having had to put up with that.

Aye Gregg Davies is overrated and shit.

I'll never change my mind.

Danger Man

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on June 06, 2019, 10:24:08 PM
That edge can't translate to a tightly scripted film, so his performances always felt stilted and a bit lifeless.

That and he couldn't act to save his life!

zomgmouse

There was definitely a distinct period in my comedy discovery where I'd heard of Cook (& Moore) but decided it just wasn't for me. Cue many years later and something just clicked. And from then on he's latched on to my psyche and not let go.

I feel like any character bit I do that starts with "hello" or "good evening" (and that's pretty much all of them) immediately just makes me think I'm copying Peter Cook. There's one bit I have in particular where I keep having to stop myself from doing a Wisty voice but to no avail; even some of the phrasing of this bit reeks of Cook to me but perhaps to no one else.

He's got that perfectly direct tone, slightly nasal, almost but not quite totally oblivious yet important and high status in their own mind.

I guess that's what happens when you stumble upon such singular voices and comic energies, they involuntarily infiltrate your creative unconscious and emanate whenever you produce something.

Hello.

Shaky

I enjoyed his work in Supergirl.

Ornlu

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on June 06, 2019, 09:27:15 PM
Who?

This, but really.

Was he just in stuff that's in black & white?

Glebe

Was watching some of One Foot in the Algarve on YouTube, he pops up in that.

Captain Z

Yer a good lad, Peter.

Konki

Whenever I watch Cook's detached acting style it always seems to me that he was tripping his tits off. Maybe he was.

Good egg.

rasta-spouse

I watched an ep of NOBA recently. Pete and Dud are playing the piano on a ship docked on the Thames and the whole piano (with Pete and Dud attached) is lifted off the ship by crane and dumped in the Thames. Then it cuts to footage of them playing the piano underwater in a swimming pool. 

Icehaven

He's no Mathew Horne.

Konki

He's got the fackin' Horne.

Can't believe my thread took off!

Hi everyone I'm Excellent Biscuits.

I've been here since the start. Yer gawd dyam right I'm a Cawwwp

Nowhere Man

yeah, but who the fuck is that in your avatar?

BlodwynPig

Edit: wrong cook....too many cooks spoil the post

It's Brian Wilson. Looking cheeky

Nowhere Man

Never heard of him.