Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:41:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Peter Cook

Started by Excellent_Biscuits, June 06, 2019, 09:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derek stitt

Derek and Clive was my first introduction to Peter Cook. To an impressionable teen in the early eighties people saying cunt a lot was the best thing in the world. Have narrowed stuff down from those albums now, 'just one of those songs' and 'Cancer' still being up there with some of the funniest stuff I have ever heard. Cook was no actor, the strange way he titled his head to one side and sort of barked out his lines verged on the side of the ham, Sellers blows Cook away as the mad cat Doctor in 'The Wrong Box'. By Christ, didn't Cook raise the atmosphere on chat shows (let's forget Joan Rivers), charity and game shows he was involved in, "it's a balloon Fiona." Same with some of the sketches from 'Behind the Fridge' etc. Sorry, not a great fan of NOBA outside of Pete and Dud and much of 'Beyond the Fringe' Bennet and Miller were better, there was a snide side to Cook in that I didn't like much.

Not much thought had gone into the above and feel free to disagree but, Cook produced some of the comedy I have stayed  with and laughed at the longest. He is certainly up there.

Jake Thingray

Agree with the above. Only Cook could make the mere words "live nude models" funny, as on one of his Parky appearances. He looks incredibly handsome, almost feminine, in this, notable that he expresses admiration for Barbara Castle in it, when the Right have tried to claim him as one of theirs on several occasions.

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-peter-cook-1967-online

pancreas

Quote from: Jake Thingray on June 09, 2019, 02:45:26 AM
Agree with the above. Only Cook could make the mere words "live nude models" funny, as on one of his Parky appearances. He looks incredibly handsome, almost feminine, in this, notable that he expresses admiration for Barbara Castle in it, when the Right have tried to claim him as one of theirs on several occasions.

Weird to watch that. Quite a sense of dramatic irony. All these lofty ambitions for his film career, which were to go largely unrealised. 6.5/10 gay, also.

Mobbd

Thank you for posting that. Most enjoyable. I love how he silently, internally bristles and impatiently waits for clarification when the interviewer says "amateur."

Mobbd

His thoughts and hopes around politics and politicians' behaviour (and also on the use of improv in comedy films, incidentally) dovetail almost precisely with the those of liberal people today. It's vexing how we're up against the same stupidity over fifty years later.

Dusty Substance

He looks incredibly handsome, almost feminine

He was a very good looking guy in those days, almost had a Scott Walker quality to him. I think that partly added to his bitterness that the club footed dwarf who wasn't anywhere near as funny as him got a Hollywood career while Pete grew fat in London.

I think about "Motivation, motivation, motivation. The three Ms" on a daily basis. Even Tony Blair ripped that one off.

zomgmouse

c

Quote from: Mobbd on June 10, 2019, 03:27:26 PM
Thank you for posting that. Most enjoyable. I love how he silently, internally bristles and impatiently waits for clarification when the interviewer says "amateur."

It takes him almost a full minute to blink

Andy147

Quote from: Dusty Substance on June 11, 2019, 12:46:54 AM
He was a very good looking guy in those days, almost had a Scott Walker quality to him. I think that partly added to his bitterness that the club footed dwarf who wasn't anywhere near as funny as him got a Hollywood career while Pete grew fat in London.

I think about "Motivation, motivation, motivation. The three Ms" on a daily basis. Even Tony Blair ripped that one off.

The phrase "the three most important things are location, location, location" is decades older than that.

The "three Ms" part may be Cook's invention, but I don't think Blair said "the three Es" in his speech.

Panbaams

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on June 10, 2019, 09:07:59 PM
Anyone interested in buying his old house?

https://www.dexters.co.uk/property-for-sale/house-for-sale-in-perrins-walk-london-nw3/119456

Good grief! That's had some extensive work done since that Victor Lewis-Smith documentary with Lin.

It looks more like Michael Rimmer's house now.

Revelator

I'm still irritated that Peter Cook & Co. has never been released. I'd like to replace that ratty old VHS dub. What else is still in the vaults? And who controls his estate now that Lin is gone?

Dr Rock

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on June 10, 2019, 09:07:59 PM
Anyone interested in buying his old house?

https://www.dexters.co.uk/property-for-sale/house-for-sale-in-perrins-walk-london-nw3/119456

Funny how it doesn't mention it's Cook's old house, you'd think might be a bit of a selling point. Also typical estate agent bollocks, calling it in 'Hampstead Village.' It's a part of London with some very busy roads, with a tube station bang in the middle. As someone who lived there, nobody calls it Hampstead Village.

famethrowa

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 17, 2019, 07:27:54 PM
Funny how it doesn't mention it's Cook's old house, you'd think might be a bit of a selling point. Also typical estate agent bollocks, calling it in 'Hampstead Village.' It's a part of London with some very busy roads, with a tube station bang in the middle. As someone who lived there, nobody calls it Hampstead Village.

well I was er dahhn Hampstead toob, down the lav there

checkoutgirl

Say what I think about Peter Cook on an internet forum? Why bother?

millwall32

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 06, 2019, 10:33:12 PM
I became a fan of Peter Cook in late 1993 when I went to Uni and my housemate had loads of his stuff. Derek & Clive and NOBA were obviously fantastic, but the best thing he had was a self-compiled VHS of several appearances on other shows Cook had made - Clive Anderson, Danny Baker, Michael Aspel, Clive James, Michael Parkinson and others. It was about 2 and a half hours long and fucking amazing. It would be the best thing on YouTube if it was on there.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL67680060A0ACCD69&fbclid=IwAR1GgWJKqY3WEUzxxASTie5jkaj5QiIoSDNKzYGGu7bT8sRj4sBOST7Perk

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 17, 2019, 07:27:54 PM
Funny how it doesn't mention it's Cook's old house, you'd think might be a bit of a selling point.
It does in the 'Brochure' bit
QuotePreviously the home of the celebrated satirist Peter Cook who lived here between 1974 and 1995..
I mooched past it a few times in the 90s, wondering if he'd be there, then fucked up my actual, proper chance to meet him, backstage at his Room 101 appearance.