Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:20:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

X-Men: Dark Phoenix.

Started by Glebe, June 07, 2019, 12:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

Logan really needs to think about not joining armies all the time. Especially given his serial propensity for nonregulation haircuts.

kidsick5000

Quote from: A Hat Like That on June 11, 2019, 09:33:50 AM
I would argue that there's a great little short movie hidden in X-men Origins. Indeed, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xAQluuB8QI

There is more good stuff in that 2.50 introductory scene than in the rest of the movie put together.

I thinks that's pretty much the only bit Gavin Hood had full control of

Glebe

'Dark Phoenix' Director Simon Kinberg Opens Up on What Went Wrong.

QuoteDark Phoenix had a brutal opening weekend. The would-be blockbuster culmination of Fox's decades-long X-Men franchise fizzled out at the box office with just $32.8 million — an all-time low for the franchise — despite a star-studded cast and one of the most recognizable titles in the X-Men legacy. On the heels of the disappointing debut, writer/director Simon Kinberg gave a candid, classy interview on KCRW's The Business podcast, diving into how release date shuffles and the Disney-Fox merger impacted the film's journey and why he's not using any of it as an excuse.

"It's clearly is a movie that didn't connect with the audiences that didn't see it, it clearly didn't connect enough with audiences that did see it, so that's on me," Kinberg said. But that's not to say there weren't struggles along the way. First and foremost, the filmmaker highlighted Dark Phoenix's path to a summer release date he never planned for — a release date that also left the film in the wake of Avengers: Endgame's phenomenal success.

"I always felt that we had a tough date for this particular movie," Kinberg explained. "It wasn't made as a classic superhero movie, it was made as more of a dramatic, intimate, smaller film. Originally it was going to come out in November, then it was going to come out in February, and those were the date that I felt like it actually would have felt more appropriate to."

"And think also coming out five, six weeks after what may well be the biggest movie or the second biggest movie in the history of cinema, that also happens to be also in the genre of superheroes, was tough for us," he continued, "and I always anticipated that it was going to be tough to be int he tailwinds of that movie. But I wouldn't blame it on the weekend."

While Kinberg dodged questions about whether it's true that James Cameron asked for Dark Phoenix to be moved so Alita: Battle Angel could hold down the February release date, he did address whether his film could have ever been completed in time for a February launch. "It's hard to know," he said. "If we had accelerated certain things in that movie, it perhaps would have been ready by that date," explaining that the re-shoots on Dark Phoenix weren't as intensive as some previous X-Men films, but ultimately, they didn't have the choice.

But it wasn't just the release date shuffled that hamstrung Dark Phoenix, there was also the looming Disney-Fox merger, which first reported at the end of 2017, towards the start of Kinberg's post-production process. While the filmmaker never pointed fingers at the deal, he did discuss what it was like to be in the Fox family during the lead up to the industry-shaking merger, especially in the final months as the fallout started to get series.

"Well, there's no question that people were either getting fired or leaving," Kinberg said. "I think the massive layoffs, people were well aware of, and ultimately in the last six months or so, there were massive layoffs. Like thousands and thousands of people. So the marketing and publicity side of Fox were very badly hit, and I noticed it because oblivious I was going to marketing meetings every week and there were people who weren't there anymore. They were people that I worked with for many years on many movies that I made."

Kinberg clarified that he was always more worried for his colleagues and their families than for his film, but the layoffs weren't the only element of the deal that impacted the marketing. The timing also sandwiched it between two periods of ownership, giving Disney's famously effective marketing machine a mere matter of weeks before Dark Phoenix landed in theaters. "They're clearly the best in the world, Disney, at marketing movies," Kinberg said. "But I know that their process is usually that they start from a year out from a movie's release, and in our case, they were given the film two months out from release... they couldn't do anything until the merger was finalized."

Regardless of the reason, Kinberg's takes full responsibility for his film's disappointing debut. "I'm here and I'm saying when a movie doesn't work, put it on me," Kinberg emphasized. "I'm the writer/director of the movie, the movie didn't connect with audiences, that's on me."

In the end, it's just not a great movie, but fair play to him for taking the flack like that.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Glebe on June 15, 2019, 02:51:05 PM
In the end, it's just not a great movie, but fair play to him for taking the flack like that.

He knows how to play the game. Him, Gareth Edwards and those like them know that to work again, you take the shit thrown even if it's studio interference.

Or you can Josh Trank it, say that the studio destroyed your vision and go off to nothing.

But then, he's not new to the X-Men. He wrote The Last Stand and crucially Days Of Future Past and Apocalypse.
The last two, and indeed Dark Phoenix have shat up the continuity tree. Ignoring Mystique not Stryker took Wolverine away or that Jean had the Phoenix force in Apocalypse. Or that nobody aged in 30 years

johnlogan

Quote from: kidsick5000 on June 17, 2019, 07:23:46 PM

Or you can Josh Trank it, say that the studio destroyed your vision and go off to nothing.

Believe it or not, Trank has already completed his next film. A Tom Hardy vehicle about Al Capone having dementia in jail.

Sure to be on a streaming service near you soon.

Glebe

Small Man Big Horse

This is now "available", I went in with the lowest of expectations and still struggled with it, it's just really poor, the dialogue is often painful, and Jennifer Lawrence appears to have swallowed all of the Valium in the world just before the camera started rolling. The train sequence towards the end is actually pretty decent and fun but the rest of the movie is so weak it doesn't save it, and a lot of the time it feels like you're watching "X-Men Babies" with the young Cyclops, Storm et al mostly annoying.