Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:59:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lapis x Labyrinth

Started by The Boston Crab, June 07, 2019, 08:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Keep pressing buttons and coins and treasure and chests keep bursting out of enemies and then it goes FEVER MODE and you get thousands of colourful gems which look like Jolly Ranchers tumbling across the screen and getting sucked into your character what is a fit witch and the like.

Jim Sterling loves it. It's a great game if you have ADHD or are a total retard. I have no capacity for shmups or fighting games at the mo because I'm so tired butt this thing is perfect, just a constant dopamine fountain. It's got the clicker and loot fiesta kind of elements of Diablo with the platforming and bashing the fuck out of things like Shantae if there were thousands more enemies and items on screen. Actually, it's more like Guardian Heroes or something, it's like a side scrolling brawler except the enemies erupt into loads of treasure in a completely excessive way. When it kicks into Fever Mode it's like when Tetsuo gets completely fucked up in Akira and keeps growing and regrowing and spiralling out of control only with a load of gems rather than gross stuff.

Consignia

I've had my finger over the buy button for over a week now. It looks ace, but is a mite on the expensive side when there's comparable action platformers for half the price, and I'm trying not to wank away too much money on frivolous stuff at the moment.

Fever mode comes from video pachinko right? Where you get spammed with balls and loads of flashing things happen and your score goes up exponentially. Great idea for a platformer.

The price is the major sticking point, for sure, and even as much as I've enjoyed it, I don't feel it's a £25 game for some reason. I mean, I got it for £22 or whatever but it feels like a £15.99 game, you know? I'm sure it's something insane like £55 on the JPN eShop, as well. Bonkers.

I didn't know that about pachinko machines but I can see the appeal now, it's just a constant feel good kind of game. Pushes all your buttons without feeling seedy and manipulative.

I've been playing some more of this today while listening to the cricket in the sunshine. There is some strategy to it and it also inevitably becomes a loot kind of game soon enough, with lots of different enchantments and stuff you can put on your gear for different builds and all that but I've had plenty of success just wading through everything with an big tank guy and a few fit witches. Once you get the into the rhythm you can romp through the levels leaving a trail of destruction, bursting treasure chests and tumbling gems and coins and smashed up baddies. It's a damn good fun game. Pure dazzling input feedback. For some reason it makes me think of Kid Gloves on the Amiga but times a million and Japanese.

Consignia

I'm waiting for it to be discounted, as I said it looks awesome, but I can't justify at the moment when Mario Maker 2 is out this week and I've just spent the last week getting cramp from playing Celeste. But I definitely will get it at some point.

Yeah, totally appreciate that. It's not essential and it's not the kind of thing that's going anywhere or going to be superceded. It's just a really fun blast. I'd say it's around the Hyrule Warriors level of fun to me, but a little less varied (!) and more breathless and intense.

This is now on sale on the eShop for £18.89.

I'd say if you expect nothing from the story and just go all in for something very pure and arcadey and yet looty, it's well worth it.

Consignia

Typical, it drops to a price I find paletable when I stuffed to the gullet with other stuff. Ah well, it'll drop to that price again at since point.