Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:52:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Another Shit Summer

Started by pigamus, June 08, 2019, 11:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I went for a walk yesterday and there were mushrooms sprouting everywhere. Bastarding mushrooms. That can't be right.

imitationleather

I can't wear flip-flops because of my flat feet. Can't join the army either.

My life is pretty damn terrible.

Gerald Fjord

bet you could stomp grapes like a champ though.

pigamus

2007 was the worst I can remember. It rained and it rained and it rained. I remember getting absolutely soaked buying some beer one evening, then listening to Danny Racist's All Day Breakfast Show, where he basically just opened the window and broadcast the sound of rain. And then shouted at David Kuo.

imitationleather

When you reach my age all summers are shit!

jake thunder

Heatwave didn't start until 24th June last year. Emoji of shoulder shrug.

gilbertharding

Quote from: pigamus on June 13, 2019, 01:13:46 PM
2007 was the worst I can remember. It rained and it rained and it rained. I remember getting absolutely soaked buying some beer one evening, then listening to Danny Racist's All Day Breakfast Show, where he basically just opened the window and broadcast the sound of rain. And then shouted at David Kuo.

2012 my office was in a portakabin in the middle of a steel fabrication yard surrounded by leaky sheds, in a village in the middle of no-where, Kent. Every day it rained, the drumming on the roof, and the gushing of the water running from the roofs of the sheds, and the mud, and at lunchtime the only escape was a walk in the rain to the village shop to buy a bag of crisps to sit in the little shelter at the edge of the recreation ground... EVERY DAY.

bgmnts

Absolutely PISSING it down here.

In heaven right now.

imitationleather

Attila

Quote from: bgmnts on June 13, 2019, 04:15:35 PM
Absolutely PISSING it down here.

In heaven right now.

Yup -- I was stuck at out Away Day yesterday, 930-5pm in the same crap classroom (since our senior management will no longer allow us to have a proper away day), and it was absolutely tipping down all day. I made sure I had a seat where I could see out of the window, as the outer wall of this classroom is all glass. The rain, the mist, all up against the green and red leaves of the trees that surround that edge of the campus. Lovely.

Am dreading the inevitable heatwave, but had a bit of a giggle whilst stood waiting on the railway platform yesterday afternoon, when it dawned on me it's almost mid June, and I'm wearing my ski shell, jacket, and scarf.

Not having a go at anyone who really hates this weather and longs for sun; grey, rainly weather is one of few things that cheer me up and keep me going, and this week's weather have been like a rare boon to me, especially given that it would have been an otherwise stressful week with exam boards and all these meetings and stuff.

shiftwork2

Only 5 weeks till Christmas.

Pingers

It's pissing it down again today, so taking the bus to work. There is a woman on the bus who is holding her phone out in front of her and speaking into the speaker and then holding the microphone to her ear when the other person speaks. Grave.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Pingers on June 14, 2019, 08:59:53 AM
It's pissing it down again today, so taking the bus to work. There is a woman on the bus who is holding her phone out in front of her and speaking into the speaker and then holding the microphone to her ear when the other person speaks. Grave.

What is point? If she's on the bus during your return journey, throw her out of the emergency window. Then hit her on the head with that little hammer, if they still have them.

poo

Absolutely no problem with this weather.

Epic Bisto

Some of you lot are really miserable bastards.

I used to hate hot weather but not anymore.  I'm just sick of this rain.  It's never ending.  I want warm air punctuated with delicate cool breezes in the evening.  I want to come home from work, shower and retire to the shade in the garden with a good book.  I don't want to get drenched commuting to and from work, being stuck indoors with a leaking conservatory and being forced to turn the heating on.  I just want the rain to stop.

Icehaven

Quote from: Pingers on June 14, 2019, 08:59:53 AM

I want to carry a Martini glass around purely so when I see people doing this I can plonk it on their upturned phone and strut away as if they're servants at a classy cocktail party and I'm a monied guest.

purlieu

A wet June is perfectly normal. When I was a kid my dad told me it always rains on his birthday (8th June), and since then it's been true far more times than not. We're noticing it particularly at the minute because we had an absurdly dry autumn, winter and spring, so a couple of weeks of rain suddenly seems bizarre. It's more rainy than normal, but not by that much. The plants need it, and after last year's heatwave (and dry winter), the reservoirs do too.

Icehaven

Quote from: purlieu on June 15, 2019, 07:09:29 PM
A wet June is perfectly normal. When I was a kid my dad told me it always rains on his birthday (8th June), and since then it's been true far more times than not. We're noticing it particularly at the minute because we had an absurdly dry autumn, winter and spring, so a couple of weeks of rain suddenly seems bizarre. It's more rainy than normal, but not by that much. The plants need it, and after last year's heatwave (and dry winter), the reservoirs do too.

Yep many years ago I went to 5 or 6 Glastonburys in a row, always the last weekend of June, and it rained like a bastard at all but one of them.

Buelligan

Quote from: purlieu on June 15, 2019, 07:09:29 PM

That may well be true but I'd say it's unnaturally cold.  I live in the South of France, right on the Spanish border, I have an extra blanket (a very lovely Welsh one) on the bed ffs.  Normally, this time of year it's a sheet or gtf.  Having said that, all the rivers round here are dry, just lines of rocks.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: shiftwork2 on June 14, 2019, 08:43:31 AM
Only 5 weeks till Christmas.

5 more floods til Christmas. Squeeeeee

Ok I mean it this time... This time next week you'll be wishing it was cold again.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on June 20, 2019, 09:06:42 PM
Ok I mean it this time... This time next week you'll be wishing it was cold again.

Shit yes, hot next week.  Good spot.  Bring it the shit on.

Ferris

Had a snooze in the sun yesterday and picked up the makings of a good tan over the last few weeks.

...now it's rainy and foggy and shite.

...and warm and sunny tomorrow.

Weather in absolute shambles. I will call and complain if this keeps up.

Buelligan

Sposed to hit the low forties here next week.  Bit early.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

30 Degrees over here at the minute, lads.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on June 20, 2019, 09:06:42 PM

Only in the South

Head Gardener

lovely day for drying your mums undies

purlieu

High 20s already in the midlands here, we're rocketing over the 30 mark by late afternoon.
That African air is making it a much drier heat than normal though, it's almost tolerable today.

Pingers

Quote from: Buelligan on June 16, 2019, 07:36:42 AM
That may well be true but I'd say it's unnaturally cold.  I live in the South of France, right on the Spanish border, I have an extra blanket (a very lovely Welsh one) on the bed ffs.  Normally, this time of year it's a sheet or gtf.  Having said that, all the rivers round here are dry, just lines of rocks.

Which bit of the border are you near? Had a lovely time in the area around Ceret nine summers ago. My youngest was conceived there, during the cherry season.