Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:52:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mate, Romford.

Started by alan nagsworth, June 08, 2019, 02:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on June 08, 2019, 06:45:25 PM
At least this stone cold banger came from it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYyxdmHogLU

That's gotta be the best thing that's ever come out of Romford.

Small Man Big Horse is the best thing that's ever come in Romford.

king_tubby

ProvanFan

Quote from: Chollis on June 08, 2019, 03:47:45 PM
Romford has bouncers outside McDonalds

Children dumping their happy meal toys, the Neighbours tie-in was a mistake.

Mr Banlon

Romford skatepark is a thing of beauty in concrete.

Konki

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 08, 2019, 06:22:32 PM
I'm amused that you call it Rom. Have you ever considered making a Rom-Com?

I have now.

Bobby Treetops

I 'celebrated' my 21st birthday by taking some dodgy speed and going down to the indie night at Hollywood's night club in Romford.

Desolation

Konki

'Coma' on a Monday night? Classic.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Bobby Treetops on June 09, 2019, 11:24:51 AM
I 'celebrated' my 21st birthday by taking some dodgy speed and going down to the indie night at Hollywood's night club in Romford.

Desolation

ah mate did they play chelsea dagger, bet they did

bet the place fucking went off for that one

alan nagsworth

Haha I've just remembered that my friend used to work in a Greggs in Glasgow with this other lad who kept himself to himself but then one day he said he was quitting the job as he was off on tour with his band. Turned out he was the drummer of The Fratellis.

Full circle, lads. The magic of Greggs.

Bobby Treetops

Quote from: Konki on June 09, 2019, 11:32:52 AM
'Coma' on a Monday night? Classic.

Yep, that's the one.

Konki

Dean Gaffney and Denise van Outen were always down Hollywoods. 90s Romford, mate. Happ-en-ing.

We once had a punch up on Atlanta Boulevard. We lost. Had to take my mate home in a shopping trolley. Great days.

flotemysost

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 08, 2019, 02:50:25 PM
In addition to this, right outside the train station - I'm honestly not making this up - there's two motherfucking Wetherspoon's ALMOST LITERALLY NEXT DOOR TO ONE ANOTHER. And do you know what's in the middle of them? To provide a bit of variety, to spice up the high street a bit? Is it the Sistine Chapel? Is it a Keep Calm & Fuck Your Dad poster? Is it a FUCKING GREGGS? I wish!!! Nah, it's a FUCKING Slug & Lettuce pub! The first class free tune mayo sandwich equivalent of Wetherspoon's! ABSOLUTELY BASTARD UNREAL. Lads I'm fucking serious about this, two Wetherspoon's, right there in the same line of sight.

Back in the 'Shit train stations' thread I posted about Basildon train station, specifically the walk from the station to the hospital (which I was doing a fair bit a few years ago), that's solid gold deso: Spoons, bingo hall and strip club (three separate institutions that is, not all rolled into one, although that would be amazing).

Likewise, I'm far from snobby about Spoons (or bingo or stripping), but it's quite a sight for sore (from crying because you're visiting a dying relative) eyes.

After Notting Hill Carnival a couple of years ago I passed out on the night bus and ended up in Romford. Which says more about my inability to navigate public transport while drunk than anything.

Konki

Quote from: flotemysost on June 09, 2019, 12:22:55 PM
After Notting Hill Carnival a couple of years ago I passed out on the night bus and ended up in Romford. Which says more about my inability to navigate public transport while drunk than anything.

You should consider yourself lucky; years ago the night bus used to terminate in Harold Hill.

Came home one night to my girlfriend's place in Harold Hill and had to clamber over the front wall because there was a police forensics tent blocking the gate. Bloke had been stabbed to death. Loads of claret on the pavement. How's that for desolation?

Pingers

If Essex is the Heart of Darkness (which it is) then Romford is its poisoned wellspring.

seepage

Quote from: Konki on June 09, 2019, 12:33:52 PM
You should consider yourself lucky; years ago the night bus used to terminate in Harold Hill.

Came home one night to my girlfriend's place in Harold Hill and had to clamber over the front wall because there was a police forensics tent blocking the gate. Bloke had been stabbed to death. Loads of claret on the pavement. How's that for desolation?

They get into quite serious arguments over the rules at the Hornchurch wargames club.

boki

Quote from: flotemysost on June 09, 2019, 12:22:55 PM
Mate.  Bet your passengers were fucking livid.

Quote from: Pingers on June 09, 2019, 12:52:17 PM
If Essex is the Heart of Darkness (which it is) then Romford is its poisoned wellspring.

The list of fucking dreadful places in Essex is huge, most counties have their shit pits but how many have a seemingly endless list (if we're including places that are now in the borough of Havering and Barking and Dagenham which we are)

Just off the top of my head

Dagenham
Romford
Canvey Island
Barking
Harlow
Basildon
Clacton
Grays
Thurrock
Ilford
Clacton

The entire area around the A13 leaving London for about 8 miles etc etc

Blue Jam

Romford is just end-to-end snooker clubs, isn't it? That's what I like to imagine anyway.

Twed

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on June 10, 2019, 07:46:41 PM
Dagenham
Romford
Canvey Island
Barking
Harlow
Basildon
Clacton
Grays
Thurrock
Ilford
Clacton
I wish you'd put Clacton in there a third time.

A lot of the places you've listed are East London as far as I'm concerned. Essex is Colchester, Little Oakley, and other Domingo-harbouring places of field.

Manningtree. Dedham Vale. Tiptree. Yes, everybody's a racist but there are trees.

Dr Rock

I like Essex, it takes the heat off Kent.

mothman

I did an IT contract for Havering council in Romford, for 2-3 months before I got married. Seemed to spend a lot of time in abandoned Nissen huts which had once been offices, filled with defunct computer equipment and ancient paper records. Didn't seem to actually do a lot. Would skive off to the nearest Costa probably twice a day, morning and afternoon - plus we had lunch breaks...

mrpupkin

All you mugs slating Essex why don't you come here and say it to my face you caaaaaaant

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: mrpupkin on June 11, 2019, 10:42:56 AM
All you mugs slating Essex why don't you come here and say it to my face you caaaaaaant

Be reasonable. That would involve going to Essex.

seepage

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on June 10, 2019, 07:46:41 PM
The list of fucking dreadful places in Essex is huge, most counties have their shit pits but how many have a seemingly endless list (if we're including places that are now in the borough of Havering and Barking and Dagenham which we are)

Just off the top of my head

Dagenham
Romford
Canvey Island
Barking
Harlow
Basildon
Clacton
Grays
Thurrock
Ilford
Clacton

M&S recently plonked one of their Foodhalls on Canvey, so it must've gone a bit gentrified.

Jittlebags

Living the Brexit Dream.
Greggs, Spoons, Greggs, Spoons, Greggs. Comforting teats to the masses.

zomgmouse

WhoMe

Ah, Romford. First time I convinced my partner to come and meet me in said Wetherspoons opposite the station two blokes started bottling each other. Never happened since, but she'll never let us live it down.

Grown quite fond of the place really, it's easy enough to get to interesting things happening in town, but far out and unashamedly Brexit-y enough to be immune to any pretentiousness creeping out from Hackney/Newham. Closest we have is a micro-pub where you can't use your phone. Occasionally something genuinely exciting pops up, most recently a co-op bar/food outlet/gig venue which drew a crowd I never knew existed around here, til the council realised it was far too good and withdrew the business subsidies that kept it afloat. Met some wonderful people in there who, now the place is gone, I'm not sure ever actually existed.

Anyway, OP is a slaaaaaaaaagggg.

WhoMe

Edit: Well this has gone wrong.