Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:10:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks - Extended Edition

Started by Colin Sanction, June 08, 2019, 04:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

To coincide with the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 spaceflight and moon landing in July 1969, comes this extended edition of Brian Eno, Roger Eno and Daniel Lanois's seminal 'Apollo' album. Originally scored to accompany director Al Reinert's landmark feature-length documentary 'For All Mankind', the original 'Apollo' album has been remastered by Abbey Road's Miles Showell. It also comes with 11 new instrumental compositions which reimagine the soundtrack to the film, marking the first time the three musicians have collaborated since the original sessions in 1983. 'Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks – Extended Version' is presented here as a limited, numbered 2CD edition with a 24-page full-colour hardcover book.

Released: 19th July 2019

Tracklisting

Disc 1: 'Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks' - Remastered

01. 'Under Stars' (4:29)
02. 'The Secret Place' (3:31)
03. 'Matta' (4:20)
04. 'Signals' (2:47)
05. 'An Ending (Ascent)' (4:24)
06. 'Under Stars II' (3:23)
07. 'Drift' (3:05)
08. 'Silver Morning' (2:40)
09. 'Deep Blue Day' (3:58)
10. 'Weightless' (4:35)
11. 'Always Returning' (4:04)
12. 'Stars' (8:02)

Disc 2: 'For All Mankind'   

01. 'The End Of A Thin Cord' (4:08)
02. 'Capsule' (3:13)
03. 'At The Foot Of A Ladder' (3:35)
04. 'Waking Up' (2:29)
05. 'Clear Desert Night' (3:11)
06. 'Over The Canaries' (4:41)
07. 'Last Step From The Surface' (3:58)
08. 'Fine-grained' (3:34)
09. 'Under The Moon' (3:10)
10. 'Strange Quiet' (4:09)
11. 'Like I Was A Spectator' (4:23)

BlodwynPig

Are all these Virgin releases? Nice but just disappointed I can no longer collect music.

jobotic

Has anyone heard Disc 2? I have the album twice already.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: jobotic on June 08, 2019, 04:24:00 PM
Has anyone heard Disc 2? I have the album twice already.

I'm always suspicious of these bonus discs of material that didn't make it onto the original album too. I want to hear these before I part with my cash.

It doesn't help that on the remastered version of My Life in the Bush of Ghosts they substituted a previously rejected meh track for Qu'Ran and all the track index points on the album were fucked up.

wosl

Well interested in this, although I had highish hopes for the extras on the expanded Shutov Assembly, but they ended up not chiming much at all with the originally released material, essentially forming a separate set of odds and sods.  That Roger's involved in the new stuff gets my hopes up.  The packaging looks nicely done, but the pic is a bit deceptive - makes you think at first glance that the disc sleeves might be done in black card, which would make a lovely contrast to the silvery Apollo missions photos, but a closer look tells you that those are the leaves of the booklet.  Cheers for the heads up.

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 08, 2019, 04:39:51 PM
I'm always suspicious of these bonus discs of material that didn't make it onto the original album too. I want to hear these before I part with my cash.

The second disc is entirely new compositions not material that never made the cut originally. There are tracks from that era on Music for Films II / More Music for Films.

'Like I Was A Spectator', a brand new track by Brian Eno with Daniel Lanois and Roger Eno from 'Apollo – Atmospheres & Soundtracks – Extended Edition'

https://youtu.be/aacHEVsFLF4

purlieu

wosl

Or like a fan YT tribute to Apollo, rather than being something by the original creators.  I don't mind stuff being modestly or elementarily structured, but that appears to possess no compensating 'fairy dust' factor whatsoever.  I hope the rest of the new batch have a bit more about them. 

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Special K on June 09, 2019, 09:11:16 AM
The second disc is entirely new compositions not material that never made the cut originally. There are tracks from that era on Music for Films II / More Music for Films.

Ah, thanks for the info. I didn't realise that.

Quote from: Special K on June 09, 2019, 06:25:27 PM
'Like I Was A Spectator', a brand new track by Brian Eno with Daniel Lanois and Roger Eno from 'Apollo – Atmospheres & Soundtracks – Extended Edition'

https://youtu.be/aacHEVsFLF4

Hmm. It's okay. I'm still going to wait till I hear more, I think.