Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:26:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sainsburys guide dog ignorance

Started by Fambo Number Mive, June 08, 2019, 07:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

I wonder how many such events happen to blind people but don't make the news because the person isn't famous. It's quite obvious when a dog is an assistance dog and there is no excuse.

Sainsburys should be rolling out training on disabilities that includes training staff and contractors on how to spot assistance dogs. Strongly thinking of taking my custom elsewhere.

Quote..."We stopped at the Sainsbury's on Southampton Row to get some wine to enjoy the weather. As soon as I walked in, the security guard said: 'No, no, no.'

"I said: 'What?' He said: 'You know what. No dogs allowed.' I asked to get the manager, but he refused." Dickinson-Lilley, who retired from competitive skiing last year, said a supervisor eventually apologised.

When he complained about the incident on Twitter, Sainsbury's responded by saying: "Hi John, sorry for the delay getting back to you. I've spoken to the store manager. It's clear the security guard misread the situation and this has been addressed to prevent it from happening again."

Businesses are required under the Equalities Act to allow guide dogs on to their premises, but Dickinson-Lilley said that this was the second time he had been denied access at the same store, and that he had encountered a similar situation at a different London branch of the store.

He said he would be taking Sainsbury's to court over the incident. "The idea that you can walk into a shop and be humiliated like that in 2019 is outrageous...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jun/08/sainsburys-store-bars-british-ski-champion-john-dickinson-lilley-and-guide-dog

QuoteSainsbury's said in a statement: "We have apologised to John for his experience and reassure him assistance dogs are welcome in all our stores and petrol stations."

It's not just that they are welcome, they are LEGALLY ALLOWED to be there.

Sebastian Cobb

Once when I was half asleep and hungover a blind lady asked me to help her find her guide dog's shit (you're actually allowed to just leave dog crap if you're blind), and rather than just picking it up for her I guided her with 'left a bit, right' bullshit. Dunno what I was thinking, what a prick.

Saino's will be letting dogs in soon, copying the hipster pub trend.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: sponk on June 08, 2019, 07:34:09 PM
Happens in taxis all the but even though it's illegal the law is hardly ever enforced

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/08/guide-dog-taxis-uber-illegal-drivers

Plenty of cabbies are reluctant to take disabled folk as well, even if they've got the gear (licences/plates are issued to drivers, but in places like Aberdeen new plates stipulate you must drive a car with a wheelchair lift) simply because the selfish twats can't be arsed fucking about and potentially losing fares in the process.

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 08, 2019, 07:21:34 PM
As soon as I walked in, the security guard said: 'No, no, no.'

Maybe the dog needed to go to rehab.

Dr Rock

Back when I was a facilitater for wheelchaired disableds we would regularly be turned away from cinemas because he was a fire hazard. Always kicked up a big stink mind.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 08, 2019, 07:57:12 PM
Back when I was a facilitater for wheelchaired disableds we would regularly be turned away from cinemas because he was a fire hazard. Always kicked up a big stink mind.

I once walked into a cinema stoned off my box and said 'can I have one for ghost in the shell and another for Akira' and the lady behind the counter craned her neck said 'have you got someone with you?'. This isn't a crap bit of wordplay it actually happened.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Thread titles that deserve a Mark E. Smith " -Uh!" after them.

sponk

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 08, 2019, 07:46:47 PM
Plenty of cabbies are reluctant to take disabled folk as well, even if they've got the gear (licences/plates are issued to drivers, but in places like Aberdeen new plates stipulate you must drive a car with a wheelchair lift) simply because the selfish twats can't be arsed fucking about and potentially losing fares in the process.

Makes me wonder how those free market "let people decide who they want to do business with" types who defend the right to turn away gay customers at hotels or whatever would defend something like this. If there was no regulation at all you'd probably have disabled people freezing to death at train stations late at night.

sponk

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 08, 2019, 08:01:32 PM
Thread titles that deserve a Mark E. Smith " -Uh!" after them.

I sang it to Birmingham School of Business School when I first read it

imitationleather

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 08, 2019, 07:29:58 PM
Once when I was half asleep and hungover a blind lady asked me to help her find her guide dog's shit (you're actually allowed to just leave dog crap if you're blind), and rather than just picking it up for her I guided her with 'left a bit, right' bullshit. Dunno what I was thinking, what a prick.

If guide dogs are so clever they should be able to clean up their own chods. Or not even need to lay them at all!

Twit 2

Quote from: sponk on June 08, 2019, 08:01:46 PM
Makes me wonder how those free market "let people decide who they want to do business with" types who defend the right to turn away gay customers at hotels or whatever would defend something like this. If there was no regulation at all you'd probably have disabled people freezing to death at train stations late at night.

Well if you class mental illness as a disability - which it is - then there's plenty of that happening, through homelessness and rough sleeping.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Twit 2 on June 08, 2019, 08:16:24 PM
Well if you class mental illness as a disability - which it is - then there's plenty of that happening, through homelessness and rough sleeping.

It's OK though, we're fixing it through hostile architecture and fines!

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Dr Rock on June 08, 2019, 07:57:12 PM

So you turned up with a man in a wheelchair that was on fire and smelling awful? No wonder they turned you away. Come on mate have a word.

Dex Sawash

sponk

Security guards have a dangerous combination of low qualifications and a chip on their shoulder so this doesn't surprise me

machotrouts

First my dildo tango bag now this

koeman

This is amazing. Your chance to be a Good Samaritan and you turned it into The Golden Shot.

St_Eddie

Once when I was half asleep and hungover a blind lady asked me to help her find her guide dog's shit (you're actually allowed to just leave dog crap if you're blind), and rather than just picking it up for her I guided her with 'left a bit, right' bullshit.

Quite literally a case of "warmer, colder, warmer, warmer, warmer".

Icehaven

Quote from: sponk on June 08, 2019, 08:01:46 PM

Well I hope the next Disabilities minister isn't reading this or you've just given them their first policy idea.

Jockice

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 08, 2019, 07:46:47 PM

Tell me about it. Even before I used crutches/a wheelchair I had several bad experiences, ranging from drivers picking me up but being incredibly ill-mannered and rude about it (these were always white guys), being all polite and helpful and then trying to rip me off by taking me on scenic routes or just overcharging me (always Asians) or just driving off as soon as I stepped towards the vehicle (both. And also both Hackney cabs and private hire ones).

Not to say that a lot of cabbies haven't been decent but there are an awful lot of twats around too. I'd love to see everybody being disabled for a couple of weeks and see the amount of crap that you have to put up with on an average day. And then see how they feel when they re-enter the 'normal' world.

Jockice

Quote from: sponk on June 08, 2019, 10:27:50 PM
Security guards have a dangerous combination of low qualifications and a chip on their shoulder so this doesn't surprise me

Especially the one who tried to finger me as a professional shoplifter because I put my purchases in a pouch at the front of my cagoule while going round the shop (also a Sainsburys) because it's hard to carry a basket when you're using crutches. Apparently - according to the shop's manageress who confronted me at the checkout - I did that sort of thing regularly. Hmm, quick getaways and all that.

It's a good job my mum was a few days from death when it happened otherwise I'd have been tempted to sue the bastards. In the end I accepted an apology from the district manager and some beer. And no, the security guard didn't actually try to finger me.