Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:15:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Thunder Road (2019)

Started by TrenterPercenter, June 08, 2019, 08:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrenterPercenter

Not sure if anyone has seen or heard of this indie film.

Personally thought it was great not least for the study on masculinity that never goes too far into the stereotypes on either side. There are some hefty monologues in it that don't always work, but I was left thinking more resources and a more experienced director (or less over burdened director as Jim Cummings is director, writer, exec producer and lead role) and this would make some serious waves.

It definitelty has a place and reaches some areas most films struggle with.  Really worth a watch imo being a film about essentially nothing but everything at the same time (very much in the mould of 3 billboards).

Go see it if you get chance though screenings are limited.

DukeDeMondo

There's a thread about this here with some chit-chat going on.

Anyway I thought it was really good. Excellent. I really like the original short too and I think the feature did just about as good a job as it was possible to do in expanding on that.

I do wonder how funny it's supposed to be. I know Jim Cummings has namechecked David Brent and Alan Partridge here and there, but I really didn't feel like we were supposed to find his character "funny" in the way that Brent and Partridge are "funny." If we are supposed to find him funny in a Brent sort of a way, then it's a different sort of picture altogether to the one that I've taken it to be. If it's a comedy, then I'm not sure it's one that I like very much. But as a drama with the (very) odd laugh here or there, it's fantastic.

Twed

Genuinely thought this was a Mad Max movie from the title.

wooders1978

Same - I thought oh good but wasn't the last one called thunderoad?