Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:51:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How do you stop constantly thinking about things that make you sad

Started by Monsieur Verdoux, June 08, 2019, 10:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
shit constantly going round my head that isn't even anything to do with my current life, it's all stuff from years ago that's long gone but for some reason, after not really thinking about it for years, over the last week it's started to cloud my mind again

how do you stop this please thanks

Glebe

I struggle with this too, but try to combat it by thinking about hilarious things.

a duncandisorderly

have you seen that christopher walken flick, 'dead zone'? I get visions like he does in the movie, only I don't have to shake anyone's hand- they just come, & they're invariably grim. awful things happening to people I know, including the wife & kids (who, for three weeks out of every month, I'm a thousand miles away from).
I think it's a form of depression. it's like turbulence in the plane- I just have to ride it out.
it's horrible. they're much worse when I have a migraine- I can't tell what's real & what isn't when the migraine synaesthesia kicks in.

I'd blame the weed, but actually the weed keeps all of this crap at bay somehow.

Danger Man

I sometimes get this and just accept it as some kind of "internal sad face tourettes" and ignore it.

imitationleather

Best way is to have never done or been involved in anything during your past that could make you sad.

Glebe

Quote from: imitationleather on June 08, 2019, 10:36:46 PM
Best way is to have never done or been involved in anything during your past that could make you sad.

Now you tell me!

Funcrusher

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Get on a train somewhere far away and go there for most of the day. I mean it might not work and it's not exactly cheap and it only works for me cause I'm a particular kind of weird in the head but maybe it's worth a shot.

remedial_gash

You really have to distract yourself MV, Been there, but drilling down forever doesn't give an answer, do what you want, do what you will - let go and run up a hill. Seriously let yourself go, the more you try to ignore it the more it takes hold - i haven't won yet, but it's getting easier to ignore.

Fuckin' hell if that isn't glinner ammo, what is?

touchingcloth

The news has been depressing me no end the past couple of years, and my strategy has been too avoid it like the plague. As fur things terrorising your brain from the past, I don't know how you switch off from that - watch the news instead?

Dex Sawash

remedial_gash

Quote from: Dex Sawash on June 08, 2019, 10:55:39 PM
Hard to look at your avatar and be sad

yeah but turtle&knickers interacions are quite grim. x

Buelligan

With remembering real things that have happened to me, I let myself think about it.  Sometimes the thing's about something that I did badly or wrong or something like that.  For those ones, I think about how I should've done it and decide to learn and be better or decide to accept my wrongness but understand that I wanted it to be like that and feeling wrong is the price.

If it's something like the suffering of another being, I let myself think about it and then I acknowledge the fact that the suffering is now over and I am being sad over something that no longer exists, therefore my sadness is not useful to anyone.

Having let myself think about the things one time or maybe a couple of times.  I draw the line.  When I feel my mind drifting off there again, which happens, I just tell myself to stop wanking about.  I have processed these events and there is nothing more of use to be done then I move my mind onto something I prefer to think about.

I am extremely bossy and uncompromising with my mind, have to be really, fuck knows what would happen if I let it get the upper hand.

the

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on June 08, 2019, 10:29:16 PMshit constantly going round my head that isn't even anything to do with my current life, it's all stuff from years ago that's long gone but for some reason, after not really thinking about it for years, over the last week it's started to cloud my mind again

how do you stop this please thanks

If you're becoming debilitated by obsessive thought patterns about events from the past, talk to a doctor. Affected someone I knew once, he got help and treatment.

touchingcloth

The old Buddhists try to meditate to the point where they can observe their feelings and thoughts from the outside. Maybe the next time you're sad you can just think "oh, I'm sad - that's a thing."

Quote from: the on June 08, 2019, 11:17:26 PM
If you're becoming debilitated by obsessive thought patterns about events from the past, talk to a doctor. Affected someone I knew once, he got help and treatment.

got a doctor's appointment on the 20th, i'll bring it up

QDRPHNC

alan nagsworth

Have you ever considered just pulling yourself off?

I mean, pulling yourself together.

I mean, having a wank.

chveik

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on June 08, 2019, 11:26:00 PM
got a doctor's appointment on the 20th, i'll bring it up

yeah, that's the best thing to do. drugs and therapy (well, mostly drugs) have helped me quite a lot.

the positive effect of a wank won't last very long.

i'm on citalopram at the moment which has completely killed my libido so having a successful wank is as about as easy as walking backwards up Everest

Replies From View

Quote from: Captain Z on June 08, 2019, 11:33:48 PM
Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof

Literally feel like I haven't got a roof mate

pancreas

Quote from: QDRPHNC on June 08, 2019, 11:27:16 PM
Have a stern word with yourself.

This is my advice. But the important thing is to do it out loud. You need at least two voices. The id-like one which you can't control that brings this shit up, quite against your better judgement, and the ego-like one which catches it at its work and actively converses with it.

'Oh, remember when you raped that dog?' says id. 'You probably shouldn't have done that, should you? You are probably a bad man for raping that dog, aren't you?'
'Yes,' you say, out loud. 'But it didn't die, I have accepted it was wrong to rape the dog and I won't rape any more dogs any more. My dog-raping days are officially over. Now if you insist on bringing this up, this stuff that happened 50 years ago, then I'll punish us both by wanking myself raw.'

You do this as you walk down the street, and you don't care who hears it.

Danger Man

WesterlyWinds

touchingcloth

Quote from: pancreas on June 08, 2019, 11:51:57 PM
This is my advice. But the important thing is to do it out loud. You need at least two voices. The id-like one which you can't control that brings this shit up, quite against your better judgement, and the ego-like one which catches it at its work and actively converses with it.

'Oh, remember when you raped that dog?' says id. 'You probably shouldn't have done that, should you? You are probably a bad man for raping that dog, aren't you?'
'Yes,' you say, out loud. 'But it didn't die, I have accepted it was wrong to rape the dog and I won't rape any more dogs any more. My dog-raping days are officially over. Now if you insist on bringing this up, this stuff that happened 50 years ago, then I'll punish us both by wanking myself raw.'

You do this as you walk down the street, and you don't care who hears it.

The police heard it. The dog handler.

Camp Tramp

Find things to be sad about in the present. New shit memories will push out the old shit memories.
Nostalgia is the enemy.