Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:56:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Salted caramel, pulled pork, sourdough,

Started by touchingcloth, June 08, 2019, 10:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

My first instinct is to lump them in with various "artisanal" foods and "craft" beers and other SFC, but I actually like them. (I am, however, a dick).

Dex Sawash

the

I added something salty to something conventionally sweet, have I blown your mind
I added something sweet to something conventionally salty, have I blown your mind

Why don't we do away with food and just eat sugar and salt mixed together in varying ratios

touchingcloth

I always order a half-and-half when I get a curry: half chips, half lassi.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: the on June 08, 2019, 11:01:53 PM
I added something salty to something conventionally sweet, have I blown your mind
I added something sweet to something conventionally salty, have I blown your mind

Why don't we do away with food and just eat sugar and salt mixed together in varying ratios

I used to dip McDonald's fries in McDonald's vanilla milkshake when I was about 14, that'll be the next big thing next.

the

I accidentally put cinnamon in a cheese sandwich the other day instead of paprika, because the fucking jars look the same. I'm clearly some sort of fat-tongued genius, all disproportionately hail my mind-bending ability to mix things together and then eat them.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on June 08, 2019, 11:13:03 PM
I used to dip McDonald's fries in McDonald's vanilla milkshake when I was about 14, that'll be the next big thing next.

mate there's actually a maccies advert on the box right fucking now where a bloke dips his fry in the milkshake, for real

touchingcloth

We've all dipped fries in milkshake, because we're all vile.

alan nagsworth

All in all you're just another fry in the milkshake.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 08, 2019, 11:31:47 PM
mate there's actually a maccies advert on the box right fucking now where a bloke dips his fry in the milkshake, for real

One for the Infantilization thread, I stopped doing that at 15!

pancreas

These things are merely ingredients which can be made and used well or badly. You may as well ask to grave butter or parsley.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on June 08, 2019, 11:35:42 PM
One for the Infantilization thread, I stopped doing that at 15!

Aye it's a big fella in the ad what does it as well. Clearly a wank bit of "embrace your inner child!" marketing. A better way to depict that sort of thing surely would be a bloke with a neckbeard and a shirt with some sort of science pun on it crying and throwing a hissy fit because he got the wrong Happy Meal toy. But hey I don't work for them.

Quote from: pancreas on June 08, 2019, 11:36:19 PM
These things are merely ingredients which can be made and used well or badly. You may as well ask to grave butter or parsley.
Diasgree, they are Ad Speak to ad percieved value to a product that isn't there. To make them go from an ordinary product to a Luxery product. Has anyone relized that Pulled Pork is shit.

Alberon

Sourdough is okay.

The overuse of Pulled Pork is ridiculous. You can get Pulled Pork Crisps. Fucking insane.

Caramel is lovely. Salted Caramel comes direct from the arse of Satan. Nuff said.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

In the arena of popular fancy food things, can I just ask, is it worth ordering anything that has jackfruit on it? I'm totally on board with the concept of vegan eating and all that but I can't really bring myself to accept a fruit as a meat substitute. Just doesn't seem right.

the

Quote from: pancreas on June 08, 2019, 11:36:19 PMThese things are merely ingredients which can be made and used well or badly.

They're ubiquitous trends.

Sherman Krank

Nestle seem to have a salted caramel version of every product they make.
Salted caramel ice cream, salted caramel chocolate, salted caramel coffee, salted caramel bottled water, salted caramel tainted baby formula, salted caramel ready meals, salted caramel pet food etc.
If Nestle make it be assured you can get a salted caramel one.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Also you are all wrong. Salted caramel is good. Normal caramel tastes nice in the moment but makes your teeth and tongue feel all funny in the aftermath of the big sugary onslaught, salted caramel doesn't but is equally nice. That is it's value.

Alberon

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on June 08, 2019, 11:45:05 PM
Also you are all wrong. Salted caramel is good. Normal caramel tastes nice in the moment but makes your teeth and tongue feel all funny in the aftermath of the big sugary onslaught, salted caramel doesn't but is equally nice. That is it's value.

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on June 08, 2019, 11:45:05 PM
If the data was ever polled, I would bet that more lumps of salted carmel has been spat out in disgust than lumps of normal caramel.

touchingcloth

Quote from: the on June 08, 2019, 11:43:00 PM
They're ubiquitous trends.

Thus. And I don't know who pancreas is trying to fool by saying that pulled pork in an ingredient when it has ingredients.

Cuntbeaks

I think Pulled Pork has had its day.

Salted Caramel seems to be going strong, although waning.

Sourdough has never 'broken through' as such and is still fairly marginal.

"Small Plates" seems to be the next Grave item.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on June 08, 2019, 11:42:44 PM
In the arena of popular fancy food things, can I just ask, is it worth ordering anything that has jackfruit on it? I'm totally on board with the concept of vegan eating and all that but I can't really bring myself to accept a fruit as a meat substitute. Just doesn't seem right.

I was just about to mention jackfruit myself, as I bought some and cooked it using a recipe that was a "pulled pork substitute". It was fairly shite in all honesty, but to answer your question more specifically it's not fruity at all, it's pretty meaty in texture. The off-putting thing is more that it's just a bit crap.

Seitan however is a far better meat substitute. For the record I don't give a fuck about replicating the taste of meat, I don't miss eating it, but equally I'll give it a go, and it is very nice.

touchingcloth

Has anyone tried sourdough flavoured condoms yet?

Avril Lavigne

Caramel does usually have salt in it as an ingredient anyway tho ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I make sourdough bread every week for personal consumption, it's about 100 times better than commercial bread which is made using the Chorleywood bread process.

Thursday

Salted Caramel: Good
Pulled Pork: Okay (I assume it'd be good if I ever had it done properly)
Sourdough: Shite

These are the correct opinions. Although I'm willing to accept I've only had shit sourdough bread, and it's possible for it to be good.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on June 08, 2019, 11:56:24 PM
I make sourdough bread every week for personal consumption, it's about 100 times better than commercial bread which is made using the Chorleywood bread process.

Is it, though?

pancreas

Pulled pork is some meat.

Burger is some meat.

Why trust one some meat over another? That's politics, man.

As to the sourdough: that's just well-made bread. Thirdly, I don't know of any dessert which doesn't require at least a pinch of salt. Look at Thai desserts. Salty as fuck. No-one's telling them they're all beardy and shit, are they?