Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:34:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Salted caramel, pulled pork, sourdough,

Started by touchingcloth, June 08, 2019, 10:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 10, 2019, 10:51:27 AM
"Katsu" seems to be the next big thing in f4c (food for cunts). It's a misnomer for most products as "katsu" refers to the breaded chicken/pork, not the curry sauce, but it's an easy "brand" to remember, so we're stuck with plain bits of sweet potato in a curry sauce being called "katsu" or bags of spicy coconut flavoured crisps being called "katsu".

Greggs did a Katsu chicken bake for a while, but I don't think they do them anymore. The filling was alright (basically just Chinese curry), but I think they were being marketed as 'healthier' so the pastry was weird, really brittle and crumbly and for some reason made the filling end up all over my face.

the

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 10, 2019, 10:51:27 AM"Katsu" seems to be the next big thing in f4c

Mate, that ballbags has been going for years already. Do you live in Orkney or something!

Today's challenge: say 'salted caramel' without sounding self-important. It can't be done.

pancreas

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 10, 2019, 10:51:27 AM
"Katsu" seems to be the next big thing in f4c (food for cunts). It's a misnomer for most products as "katsu" refers to the breaded chicken/pork, not the curry sauce, but it's an easy "brand" to remember, so we're stuck with plain bits of sweet potato in a curry sauce being called "katsu" or bags of spicy coconut flavoured crisps being called "katsu".

Katsu curry is pretty poor even in its original form. At least I've not had one which wasn't essentially at the culinary level of goblin hamburgers in gravy.

Don't eat pulled pork, 'cos it's obviously just human meat.

Place near me does onions smashed with a brick, and that's amazing.

Icehaven

Quote from: DistressedArea on June 10, 2019, 11:31:25 AM

Place near me does onions smashed with a brick, and that's amazing.

So that's what he's up to these days, gone all trendy vegan.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: the on June 10, 2019, 11:02:47 AM

Today's challenge: say 'salted caramel' without sounding self-important. It can't be done.

Not even in a geordie accent?

Blue Jam

"salted caramel" shouldn't be a thing. Have you ever tried making caramel? Caramel tastes completely wrong without salt. Salt isn't a novel addition here, it's a vital ingredient.

Jittlebags

Szechuan Pepper this 'n' that is the next Big Thing.

king_tubby

Quote from: Jittlebags on June 10, 2019, 12:01:25 PM
Szechuan Pepper this 'n' that is the next Big Thing.

Yeah, if you're living in CAVEMAN TIMES. Been and gone, mate. Been and fucking gone.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 10, 2019, 10:20:02 AM
There was a heated debate on my local facebook pages about feeding bread to ducks and swans. Lots of people were saying it gave the birds diseases and made them ill. Someone then piped up with some fucking Official Statement On Bread from the Queen's Swan Marker. It was on this horrible ornate background and had fancy swirly writing on it. Everyone stopped saying you shouldn't give bread to ducks after that.

I used to work for what is now the Environment Agency:

White and generic brown bread = do not feed to birds (or any animal) at any time as it can make them poorly (some birds are more sensitive than others) and has zero nutritional value
Wholemeal, granary and seeded bread = okay to feed to birds in small quantities only as it fills them up quick but offers minimal nutritional value

Best to feed them unprocessed cereals, loose seeds, overripe fruit, cooked spuds etc, and then in the winter give them stuff with higher energy content like cake crumbs, crushed up biscuits, bits of fat ball, dead insects (mealworms, maggots, grubs) etc.

hummingofevil

It's still not really caught on but I make a fried "chicken" with a slice of celeriac. Thick slice, flour, egg, panko, deep fry in low heat oil. Remarkably good. Bit of that Maysan cheap curry sauce stuff and a bag of the leaves with beetroot and you have yourself one veggie katsu for slightly more than fuck all. Delicious stuff.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Cuellar on June 10, 2019, 10:12:22 AM
Sourdough bread is sort of shit though. Sort of tough and insubstantial at the same time.

Sourdough ultimately just refers to the use of natural rather than cultured yeast to raise the bed, and you can make just about any sort of texture of bread using either sort of dough, with the taste being the main difference.

touchingcloth

Lost Oliver

I'm totally addicted to halloumi. It was a bit of a lol joke lol a bit ago but when I think about it I'm always talking about it and order it whenever it's on the menu, anywhere. Problem is, it's so fucking nice. Battered halloumi is the best btw. There's a chippy near me that does two big chunks of battered halloumi for 3.50. I order two lots so end up eating four blocks of cheese.

Icehaven

Quote from: Lost Oliver on June 10, 2019, 02:33:58 PM
I'm totally addicted to halloumi. It was a bit of a lol joke lol a bit ago but when I think about it I'm always talking about it and order it whenever it's on the menu, anywhere. Problem is, it's so fucking nice. Battered halloumi is the best btw. There's a chippy near me that does two big chunks of battered halloumi for 3.50. I order two lots so end up eating four blocks of cheese.

Some veggie friends of mine had a barbecue and rescued it from complete pointlessness (Linda McCartney sausages ffs) by grilling some halloumi on it, twas lovely.

ASFTSN

I order two lots so end up eating four blocks of cheese.

Dead soon.

It is nice though tbf.

the

Beer battered
Triple cooked

Yeah because because battered and fried things weren't cutting the mustard until you wrote those words on every menu in the land. What a revolution

seepage

In a Greek restaurant I'll just order two saganaki starters (yes, I know it's the word for the pan it's fried in) but I am very disappoint if they use feta, which doesn't work. Also fried "provolone" in the Canaries, although I can do without the accompanying jam.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: seepage on June 09, 2019, 03:45:10 PM
when I was twice the man I am today, I'd have two croissant hotdogs for breakfast, slathered in an additional 5 pats of butter.

If nothing else, this thread has given us this. Why have I never even thought about trying this combination before? It sounds like the grilled cheese and Mattesons spicy chilli sausage sandwich has got a bit of competition coming in the next few weeks.

seepage

^ thanks. Add plenty of black pepper. Also manchego or similar is really good with a croissant.

touchingcloth

They'll be doing sourdough croissants with pulled pork hotdogs and salted caramel ketchup before the years out.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 10, 2019, 01:03:56 PM
I used to work for what is now the Environment Agency:

White and generic brown bread = do not feed to birds (or any animal) at any time as it can make them poorly (some birds are more sensitive than others) and has zero nutritional value
Wholemeal, granary and seeded bread = okay to feed to birds in small quantities only as it fills them up quick but offers minimal nutritional value

Best to feed them unprocessed cereals, loose seeds, overripe fruit, cooked spuds etc, and then in the winter give them stuff with higher energy content like cake crumbs, crushed up biscuits, bits of fat ball, dead insects (mealworms, maggots, grubs) etc.

tl;dr best not to get involved, they'll only get merked by a cat anyway.

pancreas

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 12, 2019, 12:24:26 AM
They'll be doing sourdough croissants with pulled pork hotdogs and salted caramel ketchup before the years out.

I would try one, at least.

Buelligan

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 10, 2019, 11:59:16 AM
"salted caramel" shouldn't be a thing. Have you ever tried making caramel? Caramel tastes completely wrong without salt. Salt isn't a novel addition here, it's a vital ingredient.

Yes, the Bretons have been doing it since god was a boy.

Icehaven

When I moved into a houseshare in late 2015 there was a partly used bottle of Sriracha sauce on the counter in the kitchen, and I thought ''Oh that's that Sriracha sauce that's all the rage at the moment.'' When I moved out of there four months ago it was still there, unmoved, same amount inside, hadn't been picked up in at least 3 and a half years. Mr. Haven came home with a bottle of the same brand a few weeks ago and we realised it's supposed to be refrigerated once opened. I'm glad it didn't explode while I lived there and I hope it has now.

imitationleather

Quote from: icehaven on June 12, 2019, 09:47:11 AM
When I moved into a houseshare in late 2015 there was a partly used bottle of Sriracha sauce on the counter in the kitchen, and I thought ''Oh that's that Sriracha sauce that's all the rage at the moment.'' When I moved out of there four months ago it was still there, unmoved, same amount inside, hadn't been picked up in at least 3 and a half years. Mr. Haven came home with a bottle of the same brand a few weeks ago and we realised it's supposed to be refrigerate once opened. I'm glad it didn't explode while I lived there and I hope it has now.

You don't need to put Sriracha in the fridge. The label was lying to you.

pancreas

Yes, also imagine if it had exploded and blinded a child. Then you'd really have egg on your face.

Icehaven

Quote from: imitationleather on June 12, 2019, 09:48:51 AM
You don't need to put Sriracha in the fridge. The label was lying to you.

I choose believe the Sriracha bottle. Also I like my sauces chilled.

Icehaven

Quote from: pancreas on June 12, 2019, 09:49:30 AM
Yes, also imagine if it had exploded and blinded a child. Then you'd really have egg on your face.

Oh Sriracha wouldn't blind anyone, just make them taste better.

pancreas

Quote from: icehaven on June 12, 2019, 09:53:28 AM
Oh Sriracha wouldn't blind anyone, just make them taste better.

Eating children is even worse than paeding them!