Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:47:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BC Camplight

Started by homesickalien, June 08, 2019, 11:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

homesickalien

I'm a big fan - there's not many current bands where I listen to the album over and over but Deportation Blues is one of them.

Uncut's description of the album describes well why it it appeals to me: "(it takes) ..the fractured pop of Van Dyke Parks into a realm of synth–deep neurosis, droning chords and stoned piano jazz, managing to somehow square a circle connecting Prince, Suicide and Dennis Wilson"

Seen them live three times now including one show that was just the lead singer on piano.  Good voice and entertaining.

Looking forward to the November shows to hopefully hear new material.   What do people think?

alan nagsworth

I should check them out more actually, my dad recommended them to me and for a while I left off it because I had a cynical "here we go" moment because the current stuff my dad likes is largely rubbish like Evil Blizzard and Idles, but the song he sent me was very good indeed. Thanks for the reminder.

mrpupkin

Went out on the piss with Brian after a gig a couple of years ago, he is a rare talent and a great bunch of lad to boot. Here's my post from the albums of 2018 thread because I can't be bothered to have new thoughts:

"My favourite this year was Deportation Blues by BC Camplight, a really unique pop album that's distinctly woozy and of the night, with some wonderfully written songs and moments of utter beauty. Also a great story behind it about channeling despair over a shit situation (i.e. being deported) into art. I really love it, it's been my companion through a rough time this year and I'm eternally grateful to the guy for making it. I would love for this post to inspire someone to give it a go and end up loving it too."

He's very good I reckon. Somebody posted about How To Die In The North in the old "What Are You Listening To?" thread, which is how I first heard of him. Both that and this latest one you've already mentioned are great, but I haven't heard his first two albums from the 00s yet.

I remember hearing him play an early version of Am I Dead Yet? called Pizzaphrenia on a Marc Riley session a year before Deportation Blues came out, which was interesting. I don't know if it's still floating around anywhere though.

Pseudopath

Sorry for the bump, but this new stuff is really getting under my skin:

Back to Work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py4prb2kQ1o

I Only Drink When I'm Drunk: https://youtu.be/T98rwd8c-mc

imitationleather

That Back to Work track came up on one of those "Listen to this, you cunt!" playlists that Spotify kindly does for me, as though it's an awkward teenager making me compilations in the hope I'll let it finger me. Absolutely love it.

And the song is very good too.