Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:36:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Science Behind the 3-Second Rule

Started by The Boston Crab, June 09, 2019, 08:09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
- We can't see germs so it seems OK.

- It takes more than three seconds for a non-negligible amount of dangerous germs to absorb or attach to a foodstuff.

- I'm greedy so it don't matter.

Any more?

kittens

i have a different rule. sloppy food - cannot eat off the floor. the instant it touches the ground it becomes waste. dry food - any amount of time is a-OK. no need for psuedoscience here, this is hard cold facts.

Paul Calf

Doesn't work in India. This has been tested in the field.

seepage

I thought that myth-busting program proved that only a nanosecond is required for germs to take hold?

I certainly don't eat anything that's been on the floor but that's down the state of my kitchen rather than any science.

Dr Rock

I stopped caring about germs when I realised I never get sick. Apart from when I get sick of having to do housework eh readers!

phes

I apply the 3-second rule to making contact with any unclean surfaces and as a consequence I have a diet of food that has been left on the floor for > 3 seconds so that I have permanent diarrhea and am able to use the toilet

JesusAndYourBush

If it's something solid like a sausage or a slice of apple I'll run it under the tap, if it's something like a slice of toast that's landed buttermargarine side down it goes straight in the bin.

alan nagsworth

People need to shut the fuck up and just get on with it. Same as with "use by" dates. Load of wank. Does it look alright? Yeah? Eat the cunt then. Wash your hands after you have a piss do you mate? Why? Throwing your fucking life away being an absolute melt the whole time.

pancreas

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 09, 2019, 12:21:25 PM
People need to shut the fuck up and just get on with it. Same as with "use by" dates. Load of wank. Does it look alright? Yeah? Eat the cunt then. Wash your hands after you have a piss do you mate? Why? Throwing your fucking life away being an absolute melt the whole time.

WH Auden agreed, criticising the "American habit of washing one's hands after pissing, as if the penis were an object too filthy for any decent person to touch."

Replies From View

The three second rule is actually "If you don't put your food on the floor for 3 seconds before eating it then it's not fully cooked yet".

Dr Rock

https://www.prevention.com/food-nutrition/healthy-eating/a20456949/what-happens-if-you-eat-food-that-fell-on-the-floor/

Quotebacteria on your food becomes a problem if—and only if—the microbes on the floor are actually the kind that can make you sick, like Salmonella. Then, your food would have to fall directly on top of those bugs to really transfer. And harmful bacteria isn't necessarily on your kitchen floors—you'd have to bring home contaminated food for there to even be a chance.

What will probably happen: Nothing. "The odds are extremely low of getting sick from eating fallen food," Dawson says. And since the majority of the food you bring into your kitchen isn't contaminated with illness-causing bugs, you'll likely be just fine if you eat a slice of toast from your kitchen tile.

kittens

yes, but if it is sloppy then stuff and bits will stick to it. if it is dry this will not happen.

Let's just pour one out for yet another STONKER of a thread. Bravo.

Dr Rock

Quote from: kittens on June 09, 2019, 03:15:02 PM
yes, but if it is sloppy then stuff and bits will stick to it. if it is dry this will not happen.

Waah, I'm scared of stiff and bits mummy. Grow up.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: kittens on June 09, 2019, 03:15:02 PM

Ah I forgot about bits.  Yes, if grit and stuff can stick to it (or embed in it) - bin.  Otherwise wash under tap if it can be done without disintegrating.  Things that don't fall in either of those 2 categories such as a biscuit - use your own judgement.

Thursday

It's fine because, the floor probably isn't so dirty that eating off it will make you horribly sick and die. Your body can handle a few measly germs, you fucking coward.

Dex Sawash

That potato actualy spent quite a long time in the ground and those chitterlings were up a pig.

gib

alan nagsworth

I once saw a man fist own anus gloveless waist deep in sewage and then prepare chicken dinner but then become appalled because nearby person stroke dog and then eat a crisp

fucking idiot

BlodwynPig

There is already bacteria on the food before it hits the ground. If the ground is sterile or doesn't have any of the pathogenic bacteria then you'll be fine. Dry food should also be OK as bacteria will more effectively colonise on wet or moist surfaces.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 09, 2019, 04:04:44 PM
I once saw a man fist own anus gloveless waist deep in sewage and then prepare chicken dinner but then become appalled because nearby person stroke dog and then eat a crisp

fucking idiot

I just LOLd - I mean literally LOLd - in the office and everyone looked at me.  Can't really share the joke, can I...

If I'm at home and some (solid) foodstuff falls on the floor, I pick it up and eat it - we're a shoes off in the front porch house and I hoover and clean our floors regularly on account of little Nose being a typical messy child. 

When out and about, though, I'm a bit more cautious cos I don't know what spunk, vomit, shit, used johnnies, anal seepage and general detritus all the other cunts walking around have been yomping in.

Norton Canes

I'm happy to pick up and eat any food that's fallen onto our kitchen floor, because we don't have a cat.

Jittlebags

With bouncy food, it's the 10 bounce rule.

pancreas

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 10, 2019, 01:33:47 PM
I'm happy to pick up and eat any food that's fallen onto our kitchen floor, because we don't have a cat.

Toxoplasma gondii phobia?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: seepage on June 09, 2019, 09:20:10 AM
I certainly don't eat anything that's been on the floor but that's down the state of my kitchen rather than any science.

I certainly don't eat anything that's been on the floor but that's down to obsessive compulsive disorder. Even if I drop something on the floor I have to disinfect it. That's if it's not disposable, if it's disposable it's in the bin.

The 3, 25 or 927 second rule is a distant memory to me.

checkoutgirl

The irony is faeces before it leaves your body is more sterile than the inside of your own mouth. Basically if you were to eat dogshit like Divine then your mouth would be contaminating the turd rather than t'other way around.

Dr Rock

In the past we lived in wattle and daub huts and if something fell on the dirty floor you ate it or starved. And nobody was allergic to anything. Makes you think.

Gerald Fjord

Medieval man used to eat reams and reams of disgusting fanny until the dandies invented gay for us, now it's all delicious sterile willies as far as the tongue can probe.