Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:03:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Positive Games Thread

Started by The Boston Crab, June 09, 2019, 08:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
We all know that games are the easiest possible medium to be hateful about, whether it's the shit munching Stockholm Syndrome fans, the blood-sucking cybernetic publishers, the lazy self-aggrandising devs or simply the fact that the games themselves are pretty much one massive, ever-growing pile of mindless, derivative shit straight from the cunny farm. But despite that, games, deep down we still love you, games, or we wouldn't even be here or in bad credit card debt.

So let's gather round, friends, for a positive chat about games and all the reasons we really love games.

___

- Nobuo Uematsu's soundtrack for FF7 makes me want to live long enough to exhaust how much I can listen to it and enjoy it. It's as much the soundtrack to my life as Bugsy Malone or AnCo. Dark, brooding, rich, delicate, goofy, gorgeous, plaintive. Every time I hear that plinking plonking synth wind up, I feel the teenage hopes and dreams and anxieties for what's to come. Listening now makes me feel the same way about life.

bgmnts

I'll say the same for FF VIII and IX too. Some of the best video game scores going.

Noonling

I have to admit I've never actually finished (or even got halfway through) a Mass Effect game, but I love the soundtracks. Jack Wall did #1 and 2 (also Myst 3 & 4, which are great soundtracks), and I just looked it up - Clint Mansell (among others) was involved in #3.

If I ever actually played the Mass Effect games I probably wouldn't be as wowed because I'm too familiar with the soundtracks.

wooders1978

The soundtrack to everybody's gone to the rapture is pretty spectacular - that part where you go into the third act type thing and the Welsh male voice choir chants up - what a joyful, surprising Sunday afternoon first play through that it was

Twed

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 09, 2019, 08:35:54 AM
- Nobuo Uematsu's soundtrack for FF7 makes me want to live long enough to exhaust how much I can listen to it and enjoy it. It's as much the soundtrack to my life as Bugsy Malone or AnCo. Dark, brooding, rich, delicate, goofy, gorgeous, plaintive. Every time I hear that plinking plonking synth wind up, I feel the teenage hopes and dreams and anxieties for what's to come. Listening now makes me feel the same way about life.
Yes. You're going to have to commit to walking out on your marriage, because it turns out we are soulmates.

Twed

Quote from: bgmnts on June 09, 2019, 10:22:08 AM
I'll say the same for FF VIII and IX too. Some of the best video game scores going.
Some of them are even "better" than FF7, technically. But it's FF7, with its exact PSX instruments (no remade versions thank you) that is actual magic. A genuine spell. A benevolent nostalgia witch was invited on an episode of Knightmare and she spellcast "FF7 MAGIC".

Urinal Cake

I think that Persona is one of the better pieces of entertainment that address the anxiety of the world today particularly concerning the youf.
MHW is pretty ace, cooperating with folk around the world, tacitly understanding each other and destroying the enemy that wants to kills us- nature.

Mister Six

I think I enjoy the card game music in Witcher 3 more than any other part of that game. Big, daft, rousing, OTT soundtrack for what is just a couple of sweaty blokes who stink of shit playing cards in a muddy village.

This is all music isn't it? Here's a visual thing (though accompanied by perfect dialogue): the first glimpse of Rapture in Bioshock. Perfect prelude with Andrew Ryan's bombastic monologue, followed by a fucking breathtaking glimpse of this mad underwater world, surrounded by whales and robot octopus things.

But that's on rails, isn't it? This isnt: when I first played GTA: San Andreas, I got that initial "flee the gangsters on some bikes you nicked" mission absolutely perfect. Wheeling around cars, looping over that overpass, and fucking gasping - properly gasping - when the VINEWOOD sign emerged over the crest of a hill. Every time since I've fucked up and gone careening into/under every vehicle in a five-mile radius. But that first time... oh, that first time.

Kelvin

I think games, and in particular Nintendo games, have probably brought me more hours of joy, satisfaction and hype than any other art form. I've never got bored of them, never lost my giddy excitement at what's coming next, never lost my sense of wonder at the best of them. In fact, perhaps through relatively careful selection, the games I've played have had a general consistency of quality that is absolutely lacking from the music, films, TV, books that I've experienced in my life. Whereas I've watched a lot of shit or very mediocre films, for example, I've played very few bad games, and considering how many I've played, a surprisingly low number of mediocre ones.

magval

I really like how in one of the Sly Cooper games his pal Bentley ends up in a wheelchair and for the rest of the series he remains a full third of the heist crew, cutting about on wheels and being just as class as he was before.

Can't think of too many examples of shit like that in games that are aimed at kids, and I've never stopped being amazed at it.

I never played FF7 but used to watch a pal play it, so I have sort of borrowed nostalgia for the Fighting/Fanfare cut from the soundtrack which makes me feel lots of things even though none of them are related to playing the game.

I'm a soundtrack nut too though (favourites are Super Hang On, Megadrive version, and Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha) and have more game music on my iPod than anything else. The stuff sends my wife mental though.

C_Larence

The final ending of Nier: Automata gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. It's the most moving thing I've ever experienced in a game. I don't want to say too much because I can't do it justice, but the way the music changes when the other ships join is just incredible. Then, finding out that everyone that joined deleted their save data so they could help you, and you have to make the choice whether to do the same thing. It's something you couldn't get in any other medium and really reaffirmed my love of games, although it did make it hard to play anything else for a while.

Edit: To stop this from being too soppy, I want to add that I also love scoring a fuck off belter out of nowhere in rocket league.

Great call my man. Totally with you on Nier:A. It blew me away and had me in tears and then happy laughter.

C_Larence

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 09, 2019, 11:00:52 PM
Great call my man. Totally with you on Nier:A. It blew me away and had me in tears and then happy laughter.

I'm interested to know where the game falls on your scale, the rules of which escape me at the moment and I can't find the thread I originally saw them in. I lurk a lot more than I post!

Just watched a video of the ending again, I'd forgotten how it opens with those defeated sounding '8 bit' chords. Definitely one of the greatest soundtracks of any game. FF9 is obviously the best though...obviously.

Jerzy Bondov

That Automata ending is amazing. I'd planned to go back and do the last few quests, but after that ending I didn't want to play it any more. It was such a good ending, why mess it up doing some side missions and shit afterwards? It was perfect as it was.

Quote from: C_Larence on June 10, 2019, 12:06:09 AM
I'm interested to know where the game falls on your scale, the rules of which escape me at the moment and I can't find the thread I originally saw them in. I lurk a lot more than I post!

Just watched a video of the ending again, I'd forgotten how it opens with those defeated sounding '8 bit' chords. Definitely one of the greatest soundtracks of any game. FF9 is obviously the best though...obviously.

Great post. For info, I would rate it:

A- / S / D

Mister Six

Can I play Nier without that lass's arse being constantly out? I don't want Mrs Six to mock me relentlessly for it.

madhair60

Quote from: Mister Six on June 17, 2019, 12:36:35 PM
Can I play Nier without that lass's arse being constantly out? I don't want Mrs Six to mock me relentlessly for it.

No. It's not worth it anyway, it's very boring moment to moment. Just read the summary on Wikipedia.

Positive games thread

Kelvin

You don't have to cosplay as the main charachter of every game you play.

Nier: Automata is the best boring game I've ever played. What it does that's genuinely special is something that you can only get from playing it and it's almost meaningless to simply read a summary on Wikipedia. It made me laugh and cry and I never played the DLC because it was absolutely perfect and completely satisfying where I left it. In terms of the gameplay and stuff though, it's a very average version of Bayonetta with some pretty average shmuppy elements.

Music is amazing. NPC dialogue is often brilliant. Some areas are spectacular. It has a lot of personality.

Why you would avoid playing a game to avoid mockery from anyone is bullshit. Maybe grow a pair for the sake of boner culture.

Thursday

If you carefully angle the camera it's sometimes possible to not to be looking at her pants! Can't believe they got away with including that.

Thursday

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 17, 2019, 06:15:22 PM
Nier: Automata is the best boring game I've ever played. What it does that's genuinely special is something that you can only get from playing it and it's almost meaningless to simply read a summary on Wikipedia. It made me laugh and cry and I never played the DLC because it was absolutely perfect and completely satisfying where I left it. In terms of the gameplay and stuff though, it's a very average version of Bayonetta with some pretty average shmuppy elements.

Music is amazing. NPC dialogue is often brilliant. Some areas are spectacular. It has a lot of personality.

Why you would avoid playing a game to avoid mockery from anyone is bullshit. Maybe grow a pair for the sake of boner culture.

Dare you to play Senran Kangura with your cock out while your wife is in the room.

bgmnts

I played the first Nier and it was so shit and boring that I lasted 20 minutes before trading it in, is this Automata the same but better or a different game?

Better.

Thurs, OK, I take your point. Are you saying that as a joke though or did or did you not see that I bought Senran Kagura on the Switch? If you didn't see I'm jokin.

Thursday

I didn't see that you had, although I figured it might be up your street now you're interested in tit games.

Nonetheless, I dare you to play Senran Kangura with your cock out while your wife is in the room.

Jerzy Bondov

I fancy 2B a lot. By the way if you were worrying about her arse being out, you don't play as her the whole time. SPOILER: Later on you play as another girl with her arse out even more

If you press L3 and R3, it will blow her skirt off so you can really get your nose up against the screen.

C_Larence

I understand the reticence some people have towards Nier. The character designs don't make itself easy to recommend, and now that Elon Musk has come out as a fan I find myself, fittingly, questioning everything I thought I knew about myself. However, I really think it is the best recent example of a videogame that couldn't work in any other format. Reducing the experience to a wikipedia summary is a self fulfilling prophecy, of course it won't be as effective, so you can write it off as something you wouldn't have enjoyed anyway.

Jerzy Bondov

It's quite pervy but it is also a very cool and iconic design.

Why wouldn't you want to play as a blind robo goth sex doll with a big sword? Isn't that what video games is all about?

C_Larence

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on June 19, 2019, 03:24:31 PMIt's quite pervy

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 18, 2019, 01:54:29 PM
If you press L3 and R3, it will blow her skirt off so you can really get your nose up against the screen.

I adore the game, and I like the designs. I just understand if people think it's a bit much.

Jerzy Bondov

It's all part of the comment the game is making on, like, how the world is... something something... um... legs... legs