Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:07:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Musicians accepting honours.

Started by Jockice, June 09, 2019, 11:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Surprised there hasn't been a thread on this yet. So:

Elvis Costello OBE. Oliver's Army/Tramp The Dirt Down.
Feargal Sharkey OBE: Northern Irish Catholic brought up during The Troubles.
M.I.A MBE: Reckons she's been spied on by the CIA. Or something like that.
Roachford MBE. Head of the Anarchist Party and Class War Founder.

One of those may not be true. But I just find it bizarre. I have much more respect now for the likes of Weller and Bowie who turned these gongs down.

sponk

M.I.A.N.N.U.C.I seem to have used the same excuse. "I only took it to make me mum proud", shut the fuck up you liars. M.I.A is fit though so I'll forgive her.

Jockice

Quote from: sponk on June 09, 2019, 11:10:34 AM
M.I.A.N.N.U.C.I seem to have used the same excuse. "I only took it to make me mum proud", shut the fuck up you liars. M.I.A is fit though so I'll forgive her.

And Feargal isn't?

the science eel

Absorb the anus burn

Yeah, it bothers me more than it should.

I expected Declan MacManus to be more L. S. Lowry.

The title '.... of the British Empire' is so fucking indefensible in 2019 (as it was by 1974, 1959..........) Who would really want it?

Bob Dylan should have turned down the Nobel. I feel like he was genuinely considering it at first but probably didn't want to embarrass them.

grassbath

Agreed. In my view he deserved it, but didn't need it. Leonard Cohen put it best - 'like sticking a gold paper star on Mount Everest.'

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Jockice on June 09, 2019, 11:03:36 AM

Roachford MBE. Head of the Anarchist Party and Class War Founder.

Services for shitting himself on stage.

DrGreggles

What's the actual benefit of getting an OBE/MBE/whatever?
There must be one.

Uncle TechTip

Surely the likes of Elvis Costello have been asked before, maybe when you reach a certain age it becomes impossible to refuse.

Can't believe I had to Google roachford anarchist.

Bazooka

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 11, 2019, 07:30:03 AM
What's the actual benefit of getting an OBE/MBE/whatever?
There must be one.

10% off at Toby Carvery.

DrGreggles

Jockice

Quote from: Dusty Substance on June 11, 2019, 01:40:51 AM
Services for shitting himself on stage.

Why didn't Pete Burns get one then?

machotrouts

Furious that the 2010 I spent losing my shit to 'Meds and Feds' is now retroactively Tory

Urinal Cake

M.I.A was always suspect. From her billionaire boyfriend, crucifying a journalist etc.

sevendaughters

MIA is as phoney as they come. She'll be a cosy TV star within the decade, mark my words.

sweeper

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 11, 2019, 02:14:39 PM
MIA is as phoney as they come. She'll be a cosy TV star within the decade, mark my words.

Phoney how?

sevendaughters

Quote from: sweeper on June 11, 2019, 02:53:54 PM
Phoney how?

phony in the way an anti-colonialist monarchy bauble grabber is. phony in the way the person whose boyfriend bought the adjacent mansion so her friends could live in is, phony in the way someone who uses the images of suffering to ultimately do nothing but self-promote is. it's a fairly standard thing. all power to her and that.

wosl

How do we know Weller turned one down?  Did he say, or did someone else blab it?  Proper hats off to him if it got leaked against his wishes.